Skip to main content
Topic: Winterizing - an interesting approach (Read 882 times) previous topic - next topic

Winterizing - an interesting approach

Yahoo Message Number: 11904
Last fall we (my #2 son and I) winterized our MH. Blew out all the lines and removed the coach and chassis batteries.

Everything seemed to work out well.

DIdn't use the MH until August. Brought it home from the storage yard and connected city water. Poof went the toiled intake valve. I forgot to put my foot on the toilet valve when blowing the water out.

Now I'm having fun getting a new valve. Capped in the intake line and toilet still useable. Just poor water in from a jug or turn on the shower and hold spray over the toilet.

This past season my son bought a travel trailer. He asked me if I was going to use anti-freeze this year. I told him I had not decided yet.

His plan for his trailer. Drain all the lines and the fresh water tank. Dump three or four gallons of anti-freeze into the fresh water tank.

Then, run each tap until the anti-freeze appears. Also pour some into the traps and into the two holding tanks.

I have to say I've never thought of this approach. I suggested he look for a cut-off to the hot water tank and close it. He asked why? The TT was winterized when he bought it and this spring he simply ran water through the entire system until all the anti-freeze was gone.

Anyone use this approach? I've never seen it mentioned and all of the MH manuals we've had describe the pickup hose that one has to put in the bottle of anti-freeze.

Anyone see a reason why it won't work or what could be wrong with it?

Thanks

Don

Re: Winterizing - an interesting approach

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 11905
Probably will have problems trying to get pump to prime with that little fluid

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE DROID

Don Leslie  wrote:

Last fall we (my #2 son and I) winterized our MH. Blew out all the lines and removed the coach and chassis batteries.

Everything seemed to work out well.

DIdn't use the MH until August. Brought it home from the storage yard and connected city water. Poof went the toiled intake valve. I forgot to put my foot on the toilet valve when blowing the water out.

Now I'm having fun getting a new valve. Capped in the intake line and toilet still useable. Just poor water in from a jug or turn on the shower and hold spray over the toilet.

This past season my son bought a travel trailer. He asked me if I was going to use anti-freeze this year. I told him I had not decided yet.

His plan for his trailer. Drain all the lines and the fresh water tank. Dump three or four gallons of anti-freeze into the fresh water tank.

Then, run each tap until the anti-freeze appears. Also pour some into the traps and into the two holding tanks.

I have to say I've never thought of this approach. I suggested he look for a cut-off to the hot water tank and close it. He asked why? The TT was winterized when he bought it and this spring he simply ran water through the entire system until all the anti-freeze was gone.

Anyone use this approach? I've never seen it mentioned and all of the MH manuals we've had describe the pickup hose that one has to put in the bottle of anti-freeze.

Anyone see a reason why it won't work or what could be wrong with it?

Thanks

Don

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 11906
That was the only problem I could think of as well but he is planning to dump three gallons in the tank.

Mini

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 11907
Depending on the size of the tank 3 gallons could barely coat the bottom of the tank

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE DROID

Don Leslie  wrote:

That was the only problem I could think of as well but he is planning to dump three gallons in the tank.

Mini

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 11908
I have used this method before. Works fine. Still have to remember to run the toilet.

Charles

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 11909
Nothing wrong with except 3 gallons won't do it if the water heater is on the way ( meaning by pass still not in use) you will need a lot of antifreezer.

Best turn by pass on drain WH and the run antifreeze from a hose.
Tks

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 11910
I used this method until I installed valves to bypass the tank and suck antifreeze directly from the antifreeze bottle. I still put a little antifreeze in tank to protect drain a suction lines and valves. I always drain and clean out the water heater. Amazing how much junk comes out of the water heater.
One of the best tools I have purchased for my MH is a PEX crimp tool and rings. I installed a shut off valve to the toilet. If the toilet valve goes bad. Just turn off the valve I installed and use a pan like Don until a new toilet valve is installed.
If you have a hose for water saver on toilet. Don't forget to run antifreeze thru it.
I see Local Menard's has RV antifreeze for $2.50 a gallon.
Link to PEX tool.

Apollo PEX 69PTKG1096 3/8-inch - 1-inch Stainless Steel Pinch Clamp Tool -...
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 11911
I know the valves are a little confusing, but JAYCO has them set up to suck the antifreeze right out of the bottle. I can do the entire MH with less than 3 gallon, of course I also bypass the WH, just drain it. I actually have been doing it that way for as many years as I can remember since Starcraft had the water pumps set up with the hose and valve on both FW we had also. The only lines I use air only on is the black tank flush and the line that feeds the water tank.

Dave

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 11912
That's the way I did it with both of the trailers I had on permanent sites at the beach. We never pulled them off so I dumped 10 gals in the fresh tank when winter came and it would take five minutes to winterize. We'd go down it it turned warm for a few days and run clear thru from the park, use the trailer and then bypass the hot water after draining it, run the antifreeze thru from the fresh tank and done.

I don't do that with the Greyhawk though. I suck it from the bottle while bypassing the water heater.

Take care,
Greg

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 11913
That is what I did as well the "one time" I had to winterize before last year. Our first MH (purchased 2003) was a Class A gasser (2000 Triple E Commander) and the first year we winterized. I sucked the anti-freeze through the system. From that point on I concluded that the easiest winterizing was to take it to Florida at the end of October and bring it back in April. :)

I have the tube as well and I think I'll blow out the system, try and find the hot water tank bypass and then do the anti-freeze as well. Belt and suspenders. :)

Until I can get the intake valve replaced or put in a new toilet I won't have to worry about the same mistake again with the toilet.

Don

ps. My son's fresh water tank is 36 gallons so I suspect he may need more than 3 gallons of anti-freeze.

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 11915
Hello. New guy here, first post.
I do not like the proposed method. I suppose it's okay if you never use the tank, like the reply about being on a permanent site. But if you use the tank, good luck getting all the pink stuff and resulting taste out of it. BTDT. I eventually had to remove the tank to flush it right. On many tanks, the drain is not at the dead bottom, but rather on the side. Same with the pickup line.

It's a shame that some manufacturers do that. And also that they don't install a siphon fitting and tube for winterizing. If they didn't install one, the owner should. Then do the lines only, and keep the FW tank clean.

IMO. Actually I feel strongly about it. Then again, we actually drink from our FW supply.

-Don M (just considering a Kodiak)

To: Kodiak Class C Group
Sent: Tuesday, September 24, 2013 10:17 PM
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Winterizing - an interesting approach

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 11925
You use less antifreeze when bypassing the water heater and pulling from the bottle. You can use the valves if you have them. For trailers without a valve setup, you can make up a 3 foot hose with a fitting and connect it to the suction of the water pump. I use less than two gallons of antifreeze for a large coach. When I am done, I open the drain valves and drain the antifreeze back into the empty bottle. I then use that to pour it into the sink and tub drains. I pull the drain plug from the water heater each winter. I also unscrew the shower head for the winter. I also leave the gray and black water tank drains open. Bypassing the water heater and not putting antifreeze in the tank help with de-winterizing.

Darrell