Skip to main content
Topic: 2007 Jayco 34SS main slide adjustments? (Read 465 times) previous topic - next topic

2007 Jayco 34SS main slide adjustments?

Yahoo Message Number: 9432
I may need to do some adjustments to my main slide room.
The forward slide arm had the wheel replaced and it runs in and out better but I think the room needs to be raised a bit as it seems to drag over a hard plastic ridge piece and drop down some and is scraping the outside material.
Furthermore the forward arm had been removed to replace the wheel and now the rear sliding arm shows some rubbing on one side of it like it is not running in paralel.
I have looked for info and am hoping someone has done a tutorial or such on basics of adjustments.
The person that did the repair seems to think it is all good but some of that is because it would be a "comeback" repair /adjustment.
So I may as well get myself better educated about how it works.
Thanks for any assistance.
Kev

Re: 2007 Jayco 34SS main slide adjustments?

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 9435
Kev,
I have the same MH, model and year. I watch this group regularly and haven't seen any information on this problem before. Right now the only input I can give is that my mainroom also drops down at its furthest extension outwards. I have always suspected that was normal. How did your problems begin?

Sherm

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 9437
The room had a straining noise when being retracted.
When I had looked in the forward compartment there were metal grindings/shavings on the floor, I took it to a repair place and figured the arm needed to be replaced but was told the wheel was worn down causing the issue and possibly was from the beginning when new.
He replaced the wheel and it runs better but the outside floor area is scrubbing now and some wear shows on the rear arm.
the frustrating issue is to me it is a result of the repair and should adjusted as a comeback and he wants to say things are good
but I have showed new damage that he acknowleges.
Kev

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 9442
Mine creakes and growns going in or out. I have always been curious as to how the room slides over the frame. Mine also has a signficant drop down as it settles into the out-most position. I have not seen any shavings or damage, so it seems to me if properly adjusted, yours should not have these issues. I will look at it over the weekend and see what I can find. I agree that the shop should have made it right the first time. If the wheel was wearing incorrectly from the factory, simply replacing it will not help. The underlying problem must be fixed.

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 9465
The saga continues...the repair person did what he thought was an adjustment but in fact it was worse.
When I did a more thorough inspection at home than at his shop it was clear I would have to do something.
I searched and found a Power Gear Operation & Service Manual online for Jayco class A motorhome slide-out systems that was fairly complete.
However a few details were different but close enough to be able to make due with the information conveyed. Here is a link to what I found and used.
http://www.hollawayhome.com/RV%20Stuff/PDF%20Manuals/Power%20Gear%20Slide%20out%20information/pg%20man%20jayco%20mtr%20sld%20op%20and%20serv.pdf

What I had to due first was synchronize the slide out arms, the manual shows a different type of gear mechanism with support wheels
separate and to the outside wall.
The unit I have has two wheels that flank the gear.
So the operation described to sync up got me in trouble until I realized the difference in the schematic.
What I had to do was extend the room near full out, support the room and also support the slide arm, then loosened the arm and raised the room a bit more.
This allowed me to remove the hairpin clips and bushing from position, that way the drive gear was lower than the track.
Then I was able to sync the two arms by measuring the distances of the coach wall and slide room wall front and rear.
That done it was put the bushings back and hairpin clips, remount the arm to the wall and lower the room. the wall is now set within an 1/8 inch, within spec.
Then I raised the room height on the front by 1/8 inch using the flat floor measurement process in the manual it is the same as on the PG website.

Now to my remaining issue... at the top front of the slide it measures 1/2 inch from the wall and do not think the seal squash is as good as I want.
The rear is about 1/4 inch and the seal has sufficient squash for me to be OK with that. Both bottoms seem fairly tight to the wall and OK.
So if there are any persons that has a suggestion I would be happy to have advise given.
While I am not at wits end, it was time to take a break and figure where to go at this point.

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 9478
This sounds like a royal pain. Please advise as to your final resolution. It appears you are making good progress.

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 9479
I did adjust the "IN" stop for the arms and raised the room height about a 1/4 inch front and rear and determined the seal was OK at the top.
Using a piece of paper it took some effort to remove when the wall was closed with the paper in the corner.
I am thinking of putting some 30 mil UHMV (think that is what it is called) real slippery sheet of stuff before and over the plack plastic
piece the floor rides on. This is the place where the floor goes up on then drops down over as the room contacts the wall.
The sheet of material I bought is 24 inches by 47 inches, so if it is cut down there will be enough to go the width of the slide.
In addition I may try several sheets to the outside bottom of the floor so it will be less friction when moving but that will be for another time.

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 9480

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of quadnkev
Sent: Tuesday, July 17, 2012 4:11 PM
To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: 2007 Jayco 34SS main slide adjustments?

Dry silicone works great. Lift the carpet and use the little plastic tube to spray it in.

I did adjust the "IN" stop for the arms and raised the room height about a 1/4 inch front and rear and determined the seal was OK at the top.
Using a piece of paper it took some effort to remove when the wall was closed with the paper in the corner.
I am thinking of putting some 30 mil UHMV (think that is what it is called) real slippery sheet of stuff before and over the plack plastic
piece the floor rides on. This is the place where the floor goes up on then drops down over as the room contacts the wall.
The sheet of material I bought is 24 inches by 47 inches, so if it is cut down there will be enough to go the width of the slide.
In addition I may try several sheets to the outside bottom of the floor so it will be less friction when moving but that will be for another time.