Skip to main content
Topic: GVWR / GCWR Dutchmen 34H (Read 570 times) previous topic - next topic

GVWR / GCWR Dutchmen 34H

Yahoo Message Number: 4328
2008 Dutchmen 34H (Bunkhouse)

Fully loaded for a one week trip with usual excess 'stuff' food, drinks etc. Full fuel, full water, 3/4 propane etc. Wife and two kids + me towing my 4X4 Geo Tracker:

I was slightly over gross (19,500) on the certified scale at 19,680 which is not bad since I cannot think of anything else I would ever try to put into the coach. I guess trailer tongue weight is out of the question now.... But fully loaded for a big trip and in essence at GVWR is good! (less than 1% over) and I almost never go out with full water - this was the first time ever!

Front 6,820
Rear 12,860
TOTAL 19,680
Tow Vehicle 2,520 [Geo Tracker 4X4]
GCW 22,200 and way under 26,000 GCWR

Re: GVWR / GCWR Dutchmen 34H

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 4333

That's great... except for one thing. You don't know the four corners. If the right rear is way over capacity, your tires on that side will be overloaded and you could have a blow-out, or worse. Try weighing each corner. Most scales will let you do that. You simply have to place one side on a shoulder, and go thru the scales twice... they will usually charge an extra couple bucks, but it IS worth it.

Denny

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 4334
Denny, I think it might be useful if you were to inform the members of the group about the weight problems you had from side to side and what that meant for things like front end alignment.

Tx

Don

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 4335

On my coach when empty, the left side was considerably heavier than the right side, and I could not load the front axle enough to bring that axle to it's capacity; nor could I load the right side to balance the left, so I either had to stay under the max or the left rear was always grossly overloaded. Since the coach leaned to the heavier side, the manufacturer removed the rear axle spacer on the opposite side to remove the "lean."

If the side to side weights are not in balance, it is impossible to adjust the front end alignment correctly, so you will have steering control issues. Braking can also be an issue because of the load differential on the individual brakes.

Denny

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 4415
I forgot too that this included the tandem hitch, big bike rack and six bicycles.

To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tue, April 20, 2010 9:50:23 AM
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] GVWR / GCWR Dutchmen 34H

2008 Dutchmen 34H (Bunkhouse)

Fully loaded for a one week trip with usual excess 'stuff' food, drinks etc. Full fuel, full water, 3/4 propane etc. Wife and two kids + me towing my 4X4 Geo Tracker:

I was slightly over gross (19,500) on the certified scale at 19,680 which is not bad since I cannot think of anything else I would ever try to put into the coach. I guess trailer tongue weight is out of the question now.... But fully loaded for a big trip and in essence at GVWR is good! (less than 1% over) and I almost never go out with full water - this was the first time ever!

Front 6,820
Rear 12,860
TOTAL 19,680
Tow Vehicle 2,520 [Geo Tracker 4X4]
GCW 22,200 and way under 26,000 GCWR