Skip to main content
Topic: How I spent Valentines day - Or learned to love the Jacks (Read 430 times) previous topic - next topic

How I spent Valentines day - Or learned to love the Jacks

Yahoo Message Number: 10665

We pulled into Fredericksburg at 2PM and no power to the Power Gear Jack control panel. There is always something...

After set up - I began tracing the circuit board wires through the panel and out the back. Sandy found a post that said there was a fuse under the driver side kick panel, but not on my 2006 Jayco Seneca 34 SS.

I reseated the connector and tried again to trace the wires - and found them coming out the back of the driver side cab. I stopped and tried to back trace from the controller in the pass through (level sensor) but could find no matching wire bundle? [mystery revealed below].

So back on my back following the bundle and wrapping it with green marker tape every few feet. I get within inches of the pass through and the split loom was dangling against the drive shaft! The friction melted the split loom tube and severed the black wire.

Incidentally - about two feet from there - there was a junction where THEY SWITCH THE COLORS ON THE WIRES! Please.

wires.jpg
Drive shaft, burnt split loom, and severed black wire.

Well - a butt end splice - crimp - tape and secure AWAY from the drive shaft - and at this writing we are level with our slides out.

Problem-fixed.jpg

How romantic is that.

Kevin

Kevin (Real) McCoy [KF5FUZ]
("Roscoe Ventura" Jayco Seneca HD SS 34 Diesel 2006; "Toad" Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2007)

Re: How I spent Valentines day - Or learned to love the Jacks

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 10666

Sounds like a very romantic day. Thanks for reporting it on this site as now it give us a chance to crawl under our motorhomes for a little preventitive inspection.

Mark

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 10667
Hope you got it fixed in time for a romantic dinner. We had a great 32 oz T bone steak dinner at the Red Barn last night.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 10671
Kevin - my Jacks have been nothing but ptoblems since the day we picked up our coach (same unit as yours) it has been back to the dealer 3 times for the same problem in 9 months.....my panel keeps going into alarm and indicates jacks are down (which they are not). The latest cure has been the replacement of a float switch - we will see....

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 10673

Yes, I lived through that. I think it was the design switch from a vertical to horizontal reservoir that caused the issue. The solution in my case was a slight overfill of the tank.

Also switched to Mercon V for improved performance in cold weather.

Hope your problems are resolved.

Kevin

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 10684
I hope it was as GREAT as before !!!

To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Friday, February 15, 2013 8:56 AM
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: How I spent Valentines day - Or learned to love the Jacks

Hope you got it fixed in time for a romantic dinner. We had a great 32 oz T bone steak dinner at the Red Barn last night.
Best
Ron Hall