Skip to main content
Topic: New BAtteries and converter/charger (Read 672 times) previous topic - next topic

New BAtteries and converter/charger

Yahoo Message Number: 15811
Hey everyone, can any out there weigh in on good replacement batteries and a new converter/charger? I have had this 2007 Seneca for 3+ years and either the batteries are failing or the original inteli-power converter/charger is failing, or both.

Thanks!

Carl

Re: New BAtteries and converter/charger

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 15814
I switched to ATM from Lifeline in 2014. Still doing great.

====================================================

Cab Batteries replaced I moved onto the House batteries...
Well - if you are as cheap as I am then you will know how difficult this decision was. I am thinking about what to do with my house batteries that are well past end of life.
I have been leaning towards AGM, having some great experiences with them on the Amateur Radio Side. Plus Russ gave me a tip on Lifeline AGM batteries, and he has never advised me poorly. 
However the cost differential with my Marine Everstart batteries from Walmart is... heart stopping.
But then again I am also I am thinking about the number of times over the last 5 years that I have rotated them and filled them with water, .... Maintenance Intensive would be a more accurate term than maintenance free!  And I am thinking about how much Sandy loves to camp out and away from hookups.
So I bite the bullet.  First I search for distributors for Lifeline in Austin. One is Wholesale, the other is retail... has none in stock ... wants to sell me a different battery, and has no interest in ordering a battery, yada, yada, yada.  Back to the internet and I find best price and free shipping from Energy Storage Solutions. So I order them up. Takes them 8 days to show up, but then the price was best (for LifeLine) and you cannot argue with free shipping.

These are smaller (group 27 [GPL 27-T]) batteries, but weigh just as much (65 lbs) as the Truck Group 31 starting batteries I just bought (Thank you Ron). I guess it is the AGM construction.
To get started this is a great time to think about safety.  Put on those protective googles or safety glasses. Take off Rings and that rodeo belt buckle. I hit the battery disconnect and slide out the old batteries. The EverStarts are dated 06/2009, so cannot complain about their life, but clearly they needed to be replaced as they were not holding charge, and were leaking!
Corrosion

Note the corrosion on this battery terminal

Not good. That looks like Copper Sulfate to me!
My guess is that the batteries were not holding charge and the charger was continuously trying to charge them up causing the electrolyte to boil out. Ugh.
So I clean up the battery terminals with baking soda and elbow grease. I also cleaned up the tray. Later I also changed out the Parachute Buckles on the straps as they were old and fragile.
Then it is onto the new batteries. They are marine, so different size for Positive and Negative, and they are Metric, so a little more work on the connectors to make them fit smoothly.
Lifeline
      LifeLine AGM Batteries installed
This shot before I replaced the warn parachute buckles on the batteries.
Well, it will probably be some time before I know how these have worked out, but clearly the EverStarts had to go. Will keep you posted.
Kevin (Real) McCoy @KF5FUZ
"Roscoe Ventura" Jayco Seneca HD SS 34 Diesel 2006
"Toad" Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2007

Re: New BAtteries and converter/charger [2 Attachments]

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 15815
this is awesome info! I've been scrolling through posts and this is great info. RV geek also recommended them. They are $350!!! on amazon. I am checking the energy solutions !

Thank you!!!!

On Monday, March 6, 2017 12:12 PM, "'Kevin (Real) McCoy' kevinmccoy@... [SuperCrvgroup]"  wrote:

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 15816
Just got 6 US Battery 6 volt deep cycle, 235AH, installed at Discount Solar. They were $129 each. They are very similar to the Trojan T105's, if I recall. There was a vendor rep at the store when I went in, and he handled both US Battery and Trojans, and he said the Trojans are falling down in quality compared to USB; they are using more antimony instead of lead or something along those lines. He recommended the USB's over the Trojans, and were about the same price.

Get a smart charger for sure, like Progressive Dynamics with Charge Wizard or better. I have been told that it's better to get the highest amp rated charger you can and make sure it's smart. I got a Xantrex inverter/charger with 100 amp charger and it works like a charm. It replaced my PD 9160 w/Charge Wizard, which worked, just slower.

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 15818
I replaced a bad converter in my 05 Seneca 35 GS last year with a Progressive Dynamics PD9280 and couldn’t be happier.  It has the built-in Charge Wizard and keeps my 6V cart batteries topped off without boiling out the water.  Billy  From: SuperCrvgroup@yahoogroups.com [mailto:SuperCrvgroup@yahoogroups.com] Sent: Monday, March 6, 2017 11:47 AMTo: SuperCrvgroup@yahoogroups.comSubject: [SuperCrvgroup] New BAtteries and converter/charger    Hey everyone, can any out there weigh in on good replacement batteries and a new converter/charger? I have had this 2007 Seneca for 3+ years and either the batteries are failing or the original inteli-power converter/charger is failing, or both.    Thanks!  Carl   

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 15819
Thanks for the info. I bought the Lifeline batteries. When I get those in, hopefully the old charger works with them. If not I'll have to check out that Progressive one

Carl

On Monday, March 6, 2017 8:44 PM, "'Billy Piner' bpiner@... [SuperCrvgroup]"  wrote:

Re: New BAtteries and converter/charger [2 Attachments]

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 15820
In 09 in put in two new deep cycles from Costco. There still going strong. My opinion is keep them clean and serviced,
And properly wired is probably the most important.