Skip to main content
Topic: Brake switch (Read 403 times) previous topic - next topic

Brake switch

Yahoo Message Number: 9137
Last fall after when returning home from a tailgate party I had my brake alarm go off. I pulled over and it stopped, and I hadn't heard from it since. Until yesterday when moving the RV to do some cleaning it started screaming. I pulled out my spare switch that I had stowed per recommendations on here but it didn't work. Where do I go next?

The thought crossed my mind that maybe a low battery charge could upset the system because I still have the hour reading on the odometer when shut off, but the truck fired right up.

Re: Brake switch

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 9140
There is a switch under the Brake Hydro boost/Master Cylinder. Remove the connector and check for good connection. Mine needed cleaning to get good connection.
I should also ask which brake light are you referring to. In gauge cluster or under radio.?
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 9142
It is the light under the radio. Red lights. Is there anything specific I should use to clean the connections? Or more importantly not use. The switch under the master cylinder would be connected to the switch under the dash in the brake pedal if I follow that wiring? Hopefully I'll find time to move it out tonight so I can open the hood and chech it out.

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 9143
Contact cleaner that can be found at Radio Shack and some auto parts stores.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 9148
I pulled the RV out and figured I'd drive it down to the auto part store to get some contact cleaner. I had driven maybe 100 yards and the alarm stopped. I brought it back and cleaned the connection to the hydro boost pump anyway so hopefully it stays quiet.