Skip to main content
Topic: Lonely in New Mexico - Engine Stop (Read 1157 times) previous topic - next topic

Lonely in New Mexico - Engine Stop

Yahoo Message Number: 16081
Well, the Auto Engine Stop feature came on. Coolant light and Auto Stop Light, nice beeping alarm. Gave me a few moments to find a safe spot to pull off and then conked out. No loss of power.

Checked oil, looked fine, checked coolant, looked fine. Can't recall what the oil pressure was when the alarm went off.

Nice little historical town, Lincoln New Mexico. Suggestions? Good service spots I should go to?

Best
Kevin
Kevin (Real) McCoy [@KF5FUZ]
("Roscoe Ventura" Jayco Seneca HD SS 34 Diesel 2006;
"Toad" Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2007)

Re: Lonely in New Mexico - Engine Stop

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 16082

Can you restart the engine and could you get the 185 miles to Albuquerque? If so, Statkus Engines Performance & RV repair shop 1917 7th St NW, Albuquerque, NM 87102 is a great choice. No BS, great service and fair prices for excellent work.

Hope you find help, I had a similar problem but it was from prolonged idling in Drive when I got caught in a traffic jam. Scary lesson learned to use park or neutral - I found the problem by reading the Allison transmission manual.
Monte Bourn
Albuquerque NM

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 16083
As long as the engine did not overheat. You can try adding some water to antifreeze tank. If that does not work. Remove the connector off bottom of antifreeze tank. Then put a wire between 2 pins on the connector. Use some tape to hold wire in place. Had same thing happen to me last April. Low coolant level is the fault light.

Best
Ron Hall

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 16084
I forgot to look at Oil Pressure.

But because the coolant light was on, I did look at Engine Temp - and it was fine.

I checked coolant level when I was stopped, and the antifreeze is up to the normal line.
So will give that a try.
Best
Kevin

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 16085
Hi Kevin,

Welcome to my neck of the woods!

if you can make it to albuquerque, Statkus engines is excellent.

within about an hour of you is three rivers petroglyph site. this BLM campground has about 24000 petroglyphs within a few feet of an easy trail. drycamping is available there as well as two pay sites with water and electric. in carizzozo, try the chile at Four Winds - subtle and wonderful and not too spicy for newbies to chile.

alamogordo is close to the white sands national monument and has a great museum of the involvement of new mexico in space history as well as a free dump station at the visitor center.

i have a few more bits on my new blog at
www.newmexicobyrv.wordpress.com.

Regards,
Sharon Holahan

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 16086

As Ron mentioned, coolant level sensor,.. It had early failure rates, McCormick Motors in Nappanee even recommended to some to carry a second coolant tank since the sensor is molded into the tank.

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 16087
Does anyone know if that switch is closed or open when the coolant tank is full? In an emergency, you could clip the wires then twist the wires together or leave "open" to get it running

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 16088
Need a jumper between the 2 pins of connector to get fault to go away.

Best
Ron Hall

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 16090
Dave, you got a glove box? LOL
When mine went off. Engine shut off on a exit ramp. Put the jumper in to get started. Found a parking lot and started looking at what might be the problem. Read the notes next to lines on tank. Upper one is low limit for hot. Added 1/2 gallon of distilled water and problem went away.
Best
Ron Hall
PS. I sent Kevin a direct email this morning. Stating what I just said. Hopefully he is back on the road.

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 16092
Gosh gang. That was a close one.
Ron and David's - you had it right. A jumper wire across the sensor fixed this issue.  Back on the road again.

The coolant was at "Max" so went straight to the jumper! Wow.

Thank you - Thank you
Best

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 16095
For reference the tank can be purchased off Amazon for less than $50 with shipping. Got one for Jeff Cox when he visited me couple years ago.
Best
Ron Hall
Another PS. Not much to say about Lincoln, NM. They could not keep Billy the Kid locked up overnight.

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 16108
Yes, back up and running.
I made sure that the antifreeze was up to the Max level.

It appears the problem was a faulty sensor in the Antifreeze tank. I used a knife to release the clip on the connector which is below the tank. i took a short piece of wire to jump the two connectors.
I started the engine and idled for a while with no alarm. I wanted to make sure that was the only problem, and make sure that I would not be on a bad road if the same problem happened. I was very fortunate I was just coming into a town with wide shoulders when I went into shut down mode. I did not want to count on that again. So what I did was remove the jumper and within 10 seconds the engine went into shutdown mode. That was kind of proof positive for me.

I loaded up the family and we had a good drive to Alto NM with no re-occurrence. Also I followed Ron's advice (always a good idea!) and duck taped the jumper wire in place and out of the way.
So a much better outcome than I expected!
Best
Kevin

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 16109

Fantastic solution! Congrats on your outcome and thanks for sharing.
Smooth Sailing, Ric Golding Carlyle, Illinois

On Tuesday, July 25, 2017 8:31 AM, "'Kevin (Real) McCoy' kevinmccoy@... [SuperCrvgroup]"  wrote:

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 16111
Hmm, my advise did not include DUCT TAPE.
Best
Ron Hall