Skip to main content
Topic: Transmission temperature (Read 599 times) previous topic - next topic

Transmission temperature

Yahoo Message Number: 9175
What kind of temperatures do you guys usually see when your climbing canyons? I just recently added a programmer and I'm now able to see this and I hit 220 this last weekend on a long climb. The programmer started beeping so I backed off it. I wasn't driving any different then I normally would. The ambient temperature was very cool.

Re: Transmission temperature

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 9176
According to an Allison engineer on diesel place a constant 220 is fine, 250 for medium runs and 350 for a short spurt should not be a problem.

gsultra_lee  wrote:

What kind of temperatures do you guys usually see when your climbing canyons? I just recently added a programmer and I'm now able to see this and I hit 220 this last weekend on a long climb. The programmer started beeping so I backed off it. I wasn't driving any different then I normally would. The ambient temperature was very cool.

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 9177
I have only seen that kind of temperature one time. Temperature was in mid 80s on a 3 mile long run. Backed off speed in 3rd gear. How was engine temperature? Do you have a auxiliary trans oil cooler?
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 9178
The engine temperature was about 230. I haven't added any transmission coolers. If I'm getting that hot I probably ought to look into that then?

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 9179
If engine was at 230, I would suspect you were pushing hard. Keeping rpm's below 3000 when climbing is a good rule of thumb. This should keep engine & transmission cool.
Another item I have seen mentioned is cleaning cooling stack. May be full of bugs or other debris.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 9180
Im curious, what type of programmer are you using, most programmers place a particular tuning and then the programmer is unplugged.

220 is okay however were you towing? If your just in your RV going up the hill, do you keep in a normal drive or take off overdrive.

Last point, as I mentioned many times on this forum, if you are tuning, it is almost mandatory to install a pyrometer. If your heating up your engine no telling how hot your EGT's were getting up that hill.

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 9181
I'll keep an eye on the RPM's next time. I wasn't pushing as hard coming home and the transmission got to about 200 and engine maybe around 210.

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 9182
I have and edge CTS. It has a touch screen and is always plugged in. I can change the program at any time. I run it at the tow mode though and don't mess with it otherwise.
I did have a small 10' trailer on with maybe 1,500 pounds in concrete, lumber and Yeti's of beer.
I do have the pyrometer and watched the Exhaust temp, it reached up to 1200 briefly at the high point. It's set to defuel at 1400.

On my way up once I hit the steep part of the incline and started to slow down I took the overdrive off. Thats when the RPM's of course went up and things started heating up a lot more.

Ron what is the cooling stack? Is that the radiator fins at the grill? Do I just scrub them out with a soft bristle brush?

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 9183
Keeping RPM under 3000 will help a lot with keeping things cool.
Cooling stack is radiator, AC condenser, trans cooler and Inter-cooler. Some Kodiak's did not get a auxiliary cooler. It is located at top of radiator first unit in the stack from front. Put a light in front of engine near fan. Look from front of truck to see if you can see light through the stack. If no light it may be filled with dirt. You can use a low pressure wash and Simple Green to clean it.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 9207
I tow up the steepest grades in SoCal and the temp guage never moves even pulling a 24' long 8.5' wide box trailer.

Where I see it creep up is driving around town.......

Victor

To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, May 30, 2012 8:35 AM
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: Transmission temperature

Keeping RPM under 3000 will help a lot with keeping things cool.
Cooling stack is radiator, AC condenser, trans cooler and Inter-cooler. Some Kodiak's did not get a auxiliary cooler. It is located at top of radiator first unit in the stack from front. Put a light in front of engine near fan. Look from front of truck to see if you can see light through the stack. If no light it may be filled with dirt. You can use a low pressure wash and Simple Green to clean it.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 9208
That is the way it should be. When driving around town the torque converter is unlocked in 1st and 2nd gears. This causes a lot of heat.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 9209
Mine is a diesel - I did not see what engine the original poster's rig was?

Sent: Monday, June 4, 2012 6:21 AM

That is the way it should be. When driving around town the torque converter is unlocked in 1st and 2nd gears. This causes a lot of heat.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 9210
Diesel as well.
I haven't had a chance to check the cooling stack on it too see if its plugged up. Probably won't be until the 4th of July weekend when I have it out again. Should be a lot hotter air temperature at that time. I'll keep the RPM's down though and see how it does.

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 9211
That's what I've always seen. Stop and go in traffic jams the temp increases. Towing up grades it never has extreme temps and I know I'm over on GCVW.

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of ronjhallsr
Sent: Monday, June 04, 2012 9:22 AM

Best
Ron Hall

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 9212
For what it is worth, I changed out my gauge to match my pyrometer and the transmission gauge does move. My transmission gauge starts out at 100 degrees and it will hover around 130-150 during a trip. Like most mentioned, it will get over 150 degrees when I'm in town or in traffic.

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 9214
Attachments :

I just looked up the response I got from an Allison Engineer on Diesel Place.

08:20 AM

right
    hzjcm8
    Diesel Technician

iTrader Score:0reviews

Quote:

Originally Posted bymnsprkView Post
    Tom, I have may have missed this answer while searching but what is the critical high temp for TransSyd. Thanks

Dave

The transmission is restricted to 330F (converter out); but, it will take 350F for a long time. It can run all day long at 250F but most folks run around 180F-220F typically.

The Flash Point is 235C (455F).
    ___
    Thomas L. (Tom) Johnson
    JG Lubricant Services, LLC
    Cell: 317-430-3029
    Office: 317-839-4713
    Email:

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Tim Garver
    Sent: Monday, June 04, 2012 10:01 AM
    Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: Transmission temperature

For what it is worth, I changed out my gauge to match my pyrometer and the transmission gauge does move. My transmission gauge starts out at 100 degrees and it will hover around 130-150 during a trip. Like most mentioned, it will get over 150 degrees when I'm in town or in traffic.

Reply #16
    Yahoo Message Number: 9220
    455F is pretty damn impressive. I don't think other types of transmission fluids can get anywhere near as high. Most non-Transynd (non TES 295) fluids have a life expectancy that is reduced substantially even at 225 to 250 deg F.

Don