Skip to main content
Topic: Dinghy-toads (Read 585 times) previous topic - next topic

Dinghy-toads

Yahoo Message Number: 5504
Hi all,

I have been looking at some old used Geo Trackers for a toad.
I found some 96,98 or so that could do it, automatic, motorhome magazine dinghy guide only goes back to 2002.
Of course I know manuals tranny will be fine, but not sure on the auto trannys, and of course we are looking at wranglers as well.
oh boy one can go crazy on this, let me tell you.

Any idea where i can find more info?

I do have a auto ranger, but this thing about shaft disconect scares me a lot plus expensive.

thanks all
Mo

Re: Dinghy-toads

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 5505

Mo

You should be able to order back copies of the Dingy guide for $5.95 each.

Bob
San Antonio

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 5506
Mo, outside of the cost the driveshaft disconnect on a PU works "GREAT" had one on a 2001 S-10. I actually installed it myself but I did have the local distributor do the measurements. Never had an ounce of problems in 6 years of use.

Dave Sparke

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 5508
Mo, Over a period of 8-9 years we put MANY thousands of miles (4 wheels
down) on a 1989 Suzuki Sidekick and later a 1996 Geo Tracker. They both
were 4WD automatics and we never had any problems. As I recall there
were only 2 stipulations. One was that you couldn't tow with the
automatic locking hubs on the front wheels and the second was that you
were "supposed to" stop at least every 200 miles and run the
engine/tranny (while still hooked up of course) for 1 minute to
circulate fluids. The 200 mile requirement was never a problem for us
because we never travel that long without stopping for a leg stretch
and/or a dog walk and DW had the toad routine down to about a 2 minute
drill. Installing old-fashioned manual locking hubs was a piece of cake.
The dealer did it on the first one (the Sidekick) and when we traded for
the 96 Tracker I swapped them myself. They were both great toads and
very reliable vehicles. Bill

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 5511
The archive site is a great one to bookmark and keep for future use. It can help in critical situations. I used it to show our government that they had the license categories for drivers screwed up when I bought my first DP. They sure didn't like it.

Don

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 5522
I have one now - '96 Tracker (Sidekick) manual. Its great. I got it with a tow bar and its super clean, totally straight chassis etc. for $2200. I installed Old Man Emu suspension / lift and some larger tires etc. Locker to go in very soon.

Victor

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 5528
Victor, We put the Old Man Emu upgrades on our 96 Tracker too and BIG HONKIN' wide tires. It was a great toad. We drove all over the deserts around Quartzsite for several winters and never once got stuck. It worked great when we occasionally got snowed in back home as well.
Bill

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 5529
I'm just completeing a 3500 mile trip in the northwest on alot of two lane and some freeway and have had none of the problems that are being related here. I have installed rea air bags and bilstiens and had the front end aligned. Thats it. I am anal about tire and bag pressures but other than that no other mods. The handleing is not great but as stated earlier our coaches are very top heavy and the roll through transitions can't be helped. My coach has Michelens and the wear is excellant at 31K. As an earlier poster found that there were no wheel weights on any of the tires. I had the fronts balanced and that seemed to make some difference. They used stick on weights the first time and stacked them for the balance and as soon as the coach was rolled one rev the caliper scrapped them off. They did get the job done but with some effort. I don't experience the problems that some report here so maybe I got a good one. It did take some time to get used to the handleing as I had never driven that size vehicle before but now am very comfortable behind the wheel and able to enjoy the scenery while driving 60-70 mph. As an aside---My average fuel milage has been in the mid nines. I have and Edge chip with Attitude running on level 3 set fueling low end on low. My best mileage was 10.8 on a fill up. Worst was 7.6. I usually drive 65mph on cruise.
Denny