Skip to main content
Topic: Jayco Extended Warranty (Read 584 times) previous topic - next topic

Jayco Extended Warranty

Yahoo Message Number: 7837
Our 2008 Jayco Seneca 36 MS is coming up on the end of the 2 year factory warranty. Jayco has sent us a letter trying to sell us there 7 year 50,000 mile extended warranty. It cost $288.00 per month for 18 months around $5100.00. Has any one in the group purchased this extended warranty? If so what do you think of the plan? We hate to spent that much money but we have had a lot of warranty repairs that if we had to pay for them out of pocket the only RVing we would be doing is in our driveway!
TO $ or not to $ that's the question!
Larry & Shari Myers

Re: Jayco Extended Warranty

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 7838
WOW. The amount hits you right between the eyes - until you think about it.

Some questions I'd have because we'd have liked to have had this on our Kodiak and might not have traded had it been available with reasonable coverage.

1. Does this warranty cover the house part of the unit only OR the entire unit including chassis, engine, drive train including transmission (as additions to the GM warranty - which at this time I assume will be 3 more years on the Duramax? If it is for everything and the restrictions aren't heavy, it could well be worth it. We were concerned about our drive train noise and whether or not the problem would return and had a warranty like this covered it I'd have been happy to keep it. (Just before the 2 year GM warranty expired it cost $3300 to repair the differential - bearings and pig had to be replaced to fix the whine.)

2. Does the 7years/50,000 mean up to the time or point where it is either 7 years old or has 50,000 miles or does it mean for another 7 years and 50,000? I assume the former. How many miles do you have on it now?

3. Is there a deductible? How much per claim?

4. Where can the work be done? At the factory OR at an authorized Jayco dealer OR (for chassis if covered) a GM dealer OR? ? ? ? ???. If only at the factory it could be useless if you break down in the middle of no where.

5. Termination and refund of prorated premium. We had two of these and didn't make claims on either of them - and got back a prorated premium based on number of months or mileage, whichever gave the lesser amount. If you decide to trade for the new Seneca next year will they refund 6/7ths of the premium or at least move that amount to the new unit? If they will transfer but not refund that almost locks you in to another Jayco. Also, if you were to sell your unit privately can plan be transferred to the new owner? That would certainly be a point that would influence a buyer.

All my thoughts for now.

Don

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 7839
I suggest shopping for a warranty from other sources. A manufacturer's warranty frequently has tighter rules as to who is authorized to do the service.

I have bought only one extended warranty in my life - on my 05 Gulfstream Endura. 7 year, 100,000 miles, purchased when new for $2800.00. I bought it for one reason. One of the terms was that if you never used the warranty, at the end of the 7 years they would refund the price paid. Very clever when you think about it.

I used the warranty one time and had no issues. I was sure to follow the rules. They pay the shop directly so there is no out of pocket.

On the other hand, the shop must be willing to deal with the warranty company.

I would search for reputable third party warranty companies and get a few quotes to see what else is available.

The one I spoke of is

http://www.inds.com/consumers_products_services.asp#starrv

although I am not recommending them per se, just stating my experience. I'm sure you could find stories of bad experiences.

Good Sam also offers extended warranties.

One way to look at the cost of a warranty, using the price from Jayco as an example -
If you buy the warranty, you will be spending a minimum of $5100.00 for repairs over the next 50,000 miles (?). Minimum because this doesn't include deductibles and exclusions. If you don't buy the warranty, the minimum is $0.00. The maximum is unknown in both cases.

Charles

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 7840
--- In KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com, Don Leslie  wrote:
WOW. The amount hits you right between the eyes - until you think about it.

Some questions I'd have because we'd have liked to have had this on our Kodiak and might not have traded had it been available with reasonable coverage.

1. Does this warranty cover the house part of the unit only OR the entire unit including chassis, engine, drive train including transmission (as additions to the GM warranty - which at this time I assume will be 3 more years on the Duramax? If it is for everything and the restrictions aren't heavy, it could well be worth it. We were concerned about our drive train noise and whether or not the problem would return and had a warranty like this covered it I'd have been happy to keep it. (Just before the 2 year GM warranty expired it cost $3300 to repair the differential - bearings and pig had to be replaced to fix the whine.)It covers both, RV & GM chassis

2. Does the 7years/50,000 mean up to the time or point where it is either 7 years old or has 50,000 miles or does it mean for another 7 years and 50,000? I assume the former. How many miles do you have on it now? I purchased the Seneca 10/31/2009 and the warranty will extend till 10/31/2016

3. Is there a deductible? How much per claim? Yes,$50.00 per claim

4. Where can the work be done? At the factory OR at an authorized Jayco dealer OR (for chassis if covered) a GM dealer OR? ? ? ? ???. If only at the factory it could be useless if you break down in the middle of no where.Payments are paid to direct any repair facility.

5. Termination and refund of prorated premium. We had two of these and didn't make claims on either of them - and got back a prorated premium based on number of months or mileage, whichever gave the lesser amount. If you decide to trade for the new Seneca next year will they refund 6/7ths of the premium or at least move that amount to the new unit? If they will transfer but not refund that almost locks you in to another Jayco. Also, if you were to sell your unit privately can plan be transferred to the new owner? That would certainly be a point that would influence a buyer. No refunds but the policy is transferable to a new owner>
They are sending the complete policy to review next week via snail mail from Protective Asset Protection Division 1-800-761-8595

Thanks for your thoughts Don I really respect your opinion on these $ issues Thanks again!
Larry

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 7841
We got a 7/70,000 (starting day one) through our dealer when we first bought for $3,000.

Deductible is $100.00 but drops to $34 if you go to a Route 66 dealer while on the road. Covers all the important (expensive) stuff, chassis and coach. As with any insurance policy you hope you never need it, but the peace of mind is worth it to me.

Dave Sparke

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 7842
Frankly, I think I'd go for it.

Lynn feels you should look at third party warranties. That is an alternative and both of ours were with 3rd parties. The problem then is that you really have to assess the viability of the warranty provider - something you have to do with Jayco as well of course (lots of luck getting any numbers from them). Our first one was with a company that was jointly owned by GE and Deutsche Bank so it in theory was financially sound - provided its parent companies would come to its rescue if it got in trouble (and we've seen that is not happening any more). They went out of this line of biz. Second was a company that was stand alone and it had the same deal as Lynn's - no claims you get your money back. That to me is a bit of a scam because whenever you have a claim you then have to think about whether or not you should file it. For example, if Jayco's worked like that and three years from now you have a $2500 expense you then think, "if I claim this and it is the only item during the warranty period then I won't get back the $5100 at the end." Exactly what they plan because if you decide not to claim (and most have a fairly short time limit to file) then you can't claim it later when another $4200 major repair is necessary. Then you find yourself again saying "if I file this claim I won't get.......) So I personally don't look at this as other than a possible benefit if you really have no or very few minor problems.

We've taken extended warranties on all of our vehicles that have had AWD or 4WD and for good reason - two of them had claims related to the AWD for more than the premium. We would not take these warranties out with other than the vehicle manufacturer.

Don

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 7843
Larry, one further point that can be critical.

Both of our third party warranties had clauses that required 100% adherence to recommended service by the manufacturer. If you didn't follow the prescribed procedures they had the right to deny a claim. That meant oil and filter changes on time, transmission fluid and filter changes, furnace maintenance, AC inspection, water heater maintenance, wheel bearings, antifreeze changes and on and on and on......... The advertising and promotional material did not, of course, highlight this "out clause" but there is was in the detailed policy mailed to me.

After having two policies like that I decided on the third MH that we would not bother. With the DP's the recommended maintenance was VERY extensive (our first MH was an A gas unit and then we had a 2004 Winnie Journey 39W and a 2006 HR Ambassador 40PLQ) and I don't doubt we'd have spent thousands and thousands following it to a T. A Cummins dealer did the engine/chassis/gennie work at the end of year one for "only" $1,000 for the HR.

My guess is that the Jayco warranty has the same requirement.

If I lived as close as you do to the Jayco service centre I'd be inclined to take my MH to Middlebury every year and say "do the work folks." Then they can't make even a peep if something untoward happens later. We had our Kodiak into Jayco's service centre four times and found they did pretty good work. First visit was a problem since Tammy Baker was hopeless (and I had to be carefuyl or I'd call her Tammy Faye :) but when Randy Zonker started dealing with us (Service Manager) service was excellent. You may recall at the rally our fridge door fell off and Randy scrambled and got a new one for us on Monday morning while McCormick was doing the annual service and had it installed that afternoon.

OH, on the topic of fridge doors, I've seen no more reports of failure here (Russ - four is it for you?). I've now seen a report of a fridge door falling off a Winnie Class C and that has me wondering if Norcold has really enforced the hinge because it was a 2010 model as I recall. Until now it seemed like only Jayco owners were struck by this problem.

Don

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 7844
There was a post last year where they had the same problem on a 2008 5th wheel. (brand not listed)

Dave Sparke

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 7845
To all in the group:
KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroup

Thank all of you for you honest opinions.I guess I will just wait till next week to see the devil in the details in the paper work there are sending me to look over.
Thanks again!
Larry

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 7846
Well I would have to say not have talk to Vinh at Jayco if is certified and offered by Jayco it is top of the line. I only think if you do not put 50K miles in 7 years you are not using your RV. I have an 08 with almost 40K on it and will have over 50 this next year. If I had to go with an extended warrenty I would definately go with Jayco. The are about the best around to take care of their customers.