Skip to main content
Topic: Rear Hub Cover Damage (Read 937 times) previous topic - next topic

Rear Hub Cover Damage

Yahoo Message Number: 4147
Today, I noticed a series of wavy lines on one of my plastic rear chrome hub covers. They look like someone used a heat gun to melt these lines. Has anyone else experienced this?

George

Re: Rear Hub Cover Damage [1 Attachment]

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 4149
Made in China. The heat from the sun caused mine to collapse.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/KodiakChassisClassC/photos/album/1236069548/pic/1542306848/view?picmode=&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&count=20&dir=asc

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/KodiakChassisClassC/photos/album/1236069548/pic/1542306848/view?picmode=&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&count=20&dir=ascThey were NOT provided by GM. I was still under warranty and they were replaced by Jayco without batting an eyelash.

Don

Re: Rear Hub Cover Damage

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 4150
Don Leslie and others have had the same problem on the rear hub cover.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 4152
That is where a air took off the lugs at one time. Have seen it on several and happen on mine when they removed a tire to put new springs on.

Keith
Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone with SprintSpeed

Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 22:22:33 -0000
To:
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: Rear Hub Cover Damage

Don Leslie and others have had the same problem on the rear hub cover.
 Best
 Ron Hall

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 4154
Not wheels ever taken off mine. Just a lousy plastic job in China. :(

Don

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 4155
Strange as mine I think all all metal. One got ground up on the curb it just got scratched and bent up.

To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Mon, March 29, 2010 3:35:12 PM
Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: Rear Hub Cover Damage

Not wheels ever taken off mine. Just a lousy plastic job in China. :(

Don

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 4156
I have to admit mine looked so realistic I'm embarrassed to admit I thought it was metal at first. It had been sitting in really hot sun for a few weeks without the tire covers on (not this year in Florida of course - there was no such weather like that in FLA this winter). :(

Don

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 4157
I was surprised too. When I checked the covers out to mount some Crossfires, I found plastic. Had to add stainless washers to add reinforcement.

I think the sun is probably the cause of the damage. This side faces the sun in FL and I had just polished them with a synthetic wax/polish

George

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 4158
YES, it was the cover on the sunny side that collapsed. I've got covers on this year just for that reason. Goodyear seems to think its tires can stand up to the sun.

Don

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 4165
I am sure mine are all metal and I crushed the one and was torn up...there was not plastic there. It was a standard part and the repair shop had one sitting on a chair he said he would just replace it.

To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Mon, March 29, 2010 5:44:59 PM
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: Rear Hub Cover Damage

Mine are metal also... 2005 Seneca

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 4167
I wonder if this a Jayco or GM part. My GS came with Stainless Steel covers on Aluminum wheels. I removed the covers on the rears and installed the Crossfire monitors with the hub bolts. Also got some 30mm wheel nut covers for the 8 bolts on each rear wheel.

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 4168
The plastic covers of the type I had are purchased by Jayco from China. The cut away chassis they got (at least for 2007) were delivered to them by McCormick without covers. Clearly these were much cheaper than those found on GM MDT's sold retail.

Don

Rear Hub Cover

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 4166
My '06 Seneca 35GS had China plastic covers. Jayco replaced them under warranty......russ