Skip to main content
Topic: Slide-Out Locking Bars (Read 387 times) previous topic - next topic

Slide-Out Locking Bars

Yahoo Message Number: 9147
Just bought 06 Gulfstream Endura 6340 with two slides. First two of our campers had no locking bars for the slides (small 5th wheel and a couldn't-wait-to-get-rid-of Class-A) - so we're not certain the application for these things. Four of them came with the coach, and we're not sure if it's two-per, or all four on the big slide...and do they go only on the top, or otherwise. The documentation we got from the second owner either doesn't address them, or we're missing that page(s). Seems like a good idea with a hydraulic actuator - familiar with electric / gear - which I'd find preferable.

Have read with interest the posts about high-beams - will be doing the wire / relay upgrade - and am still trying to figure out the issue with the brake (light?), and a little concerned about the alumi-plastic radiator failures...but will deal with it.

Wife and I both excited with the power and reliability of the Chevy drivetrain, and the comparatively great coach construction (our Class-A was a Thor, and I had to stop looking for things to "fix").

Oh yeah - any recommendations on electric brake controllers? And does anyone know if the chassis is pre-wired for the controller? (7-pin connector installed already - guess I can scooch around underneath with a meter...) Will be towing FWD Scion on dolly for a while - or trailer with the Electra-Glide...

Hope to add some content to the group, once I get my feet on the ground with this thing.

Thank in advance for any info.

JT

Re: Slide-Out Locking Bars

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 9149
JT you should have marks on the wall ( behind the trim at the top of the slides ) that is where the locking bars go chances are you have two long ones and two short ones, the long ones go in the livingroom
hope this helps
later brad

To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, May 21, 2012 6:58:10 PM
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Slide-Out Locking Bars

Just bought 06 Gulfstream Endura 6340 with two slides. First two of our campers had no locking bars for the slides (small 5th wheel and a couldn't-wait-to-get-rid-of Class-A) - so we're not certain the application for these things. Four of them came with the coach, and we're not sure if it's two-per, or all four on the big slide...and do they go only on the top, or otherwise. The documentation we got from the second owner either doesn't address them, or we're missing that page(s). Seems like a good idea with a hydraulic actuator - familiar with electric / gear - which I'd find preferable.

Have read with interest the posts about high-beams - will be doing the wire / relay upgrade - and am still trying to figure out the issue with the brake (light?), and a little concerned about the alumi-plastic radiator failures...but will deal with it.

Wife and I both excited with the power and reliability of the Chevy drivetrain, and the comparatively great coach construction (our Class-A was a Thor, and I had to stop looking for things to "fix").

Oh yeah - any recommendations on electric brake controllers? And does anyone know if the chassis is pre-wired for the controller? (7-pin connector installed already - guess I can scooch around underneath with a meter...) Will be towing FWD Scion on dolly for a while - or trailer with the Electra-Glide...

Hope to add some content to the group, once I get my feet on the ground with this thing.

Thank in advance for any info.

JT

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 9151
My 2004 Endura 6340 has never had the locking bars in place. They are stored in the barn someplace.
After you install the relays. Align the headlights. Using a car/suv mark the location of high and low beam on a flat surface. 25' away from headlights. I used a garage door. Then move your motor home in place and adjust headlights to the marks. You may want to set low beams just above marks. Also change outer headlights to Sylvania SilverStars.
Hooking up brake controller should be done per Bulletin 66.
http://www.gmupfitter.com/publicat/bull/bull66.pdf
DO NOT wire the controller to brake switch. You will find all the wire needed to wire a brake controller at the connector in Bulletin 66. The connector is located on inside of passenger side frame. Look at frame near rear of passenger step.
My hydraulic jacks/slides have been very reliable. There have been a couple reports of hose and cylinder failures. Repair parts have been available from Lippert and Equalizer Systems who supplied the slide mechanisms and jacks.
You will find info on the Equalizer System jacks in the file section of this forum.
Which engine does your motorhome have?
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 9163
Ron / Brad - thanks for the info! Slides didn't move during 300 mile return-trip after purchasing it - of course it was all Florida Interstate - not the ALCAN, so I'll stow 'em in one of the (seems like) 20 hidey-holes underneath. Brake controller will be next - sure would have spent a lot of time hunting things down without that reference to "Bulletin 66" - thanks again. Are those "SilverStars" those blue-tinted lamps? Eyes are so-so on the "white" ones, but work best on lower color temperatures (closer to incandecent). And I'm running the 8.1 gasser - anyone have chip/programmer on theirs yet? That 6 MPG coming home was a bit worse than expected...

JT

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 9164
SliverStars are white. 65 watts each as compared to 50 watts for stock. 6 mpg. EEK, Slow down.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 9169
Thanks, Charles - think that's what was in it from previous owner - but is gone now - found the brochure/wiring diagram in the paperwork.

And yeah, Ron, I'll be going slower - if wife will let me (she gets nervous if there's a 5-mile differential on the interstate).

BTW - someone else had an issue with radiators (I'll be inspecting mine regularly for leaks) - found this one...kinda' spendy...

http://www.superiorcooling.co/chevy-gmc-radiator-kodiak-topkick-20815-52469621-20771-52457549-1r2679-ra1046-ra1090.html

JT