Skip to main content
Topic: GM Sucks - this is the demize of this chassis (Read 678 times) previous topic - next topic

GM Sucks - this is the demize of this chassis

Yahoo Message Number: 9548
So my coach is back in the shop again. Same CEL and P01001? Code - Mass Air Flow sensor.

Here is the deal. I cannot find anyone in the county that is GM certified and even has the equipment to diagnose (maybe) the problem. It could stem from several places - the MAF sensor itself could be bad, the computer on the engine could be bad, harness could be faulty, air could be sneaking in somewhere (turbo or ???) I did just have the radiator replaced for the 3rd time which means they had to tear out a lot of the turbo air lines etc.

Here is the rub - even the certified dealers do not even have the diagnostic equipment to diagnose the problem. I just personally sourced the "Variable Speed Generator" J38522 (Over $1,000 from GM but you cannot get them any more) so that I might test it. What they do is replace the $400 MAF sensor and hope for the best........If that does not solve the problem they change out the whole computer on the engine....WOW!!!! And I am paying these chuckleheads $125/ hour?

Here is the second rub. The MAF is not available from GM. Its on backorder with no date in sight as to when they will be available.

Now I am another many hundreds of dollars into crap diagnostics and no closer to a real solution that we can point our finger as at correct. Coach has been down for weeks.

This puppy is getting fixed and sold or I better get boned up on fixing this thing myself - as even the trained 'professionals' cannot do it.

Next stop a real truck.

Ideas for service in San Diego , Orange or Inland Empire??

Be well,

~
Victor - KI6IM
Kodiak Diesel Dutchmen 34H Bunkhouse

Re: GM Sucks - this is the demize of this chassis

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 9549
I would try to clean the MAF first with some MAF Sensor cleaner. They sell at just about every auto parts stores for about $8. Might be all it needs and a lot cheaper than replacing a part that would only need to be cleaned.

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 9550
Any modifications; intake kits; programmer; K&N Filter?

Those could also cause a P0101 MAF Sensor Code.

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 9551
While we have a great group here with lots of knowledge. I believe that this problem would be well addressed over on Diesel Place, Medium Duty Trucks. You are right about finding a good dealer to service this truck and the other Duramax powered trucks that GM has. On the West Coast there are some great places to get good service on the Duramax engine. Including GM dealers. Ask this question on DP.
I did a quick look up on DP for P0101. Best answer was clean the MAF with MAF cleaner. Use a lot of it.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 9552
Forgot to ask. Are there any other codes? Do you have your own code reader? This would be the first tool needed to do any type of diagnostic work on your own.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 9553
Victor,

Any dealer who works on a Duramax, should be able to diagnose the problem. I take mine to a GMC dealer, who can't do warranty on the 5500 but they do any and all out of warranty work. They do warranty on 4500 on down and that is who just replaced my radiator. Also for what it's worth, on mine, they didn't have to unhook the turbo cooler. They just removed the top radiator assembly support plate and the shroud, then lifted the radiator straight up after removing hoses.

City Chevrolet, E&W Truck and Equipment and Rush GMC, in San Diego, are all listed in the dealer directory that came in our coach.

Dave

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Victor Burns
Sent: Friday, July 27, 2012 10:32 PM
To: Kodiak Kodiak
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] GM Sucks - this is the demize of this chassis

So my coach is back in the shop again. Same CEL and P01001? Code - Mass Air Flow sensor.

Here is the deal. I cannot find anyone in the county that is GM certified and even has the equipment to diagnose (maybe) the problem. It could stem from several places - the MAF sensor itself could be bad, the computer on the engine could be bad, harness could be faulty, air could be sneaking in somewhere (turbo or ???) I did just have the radiator replaced for the 3rd time which means they had to tear out a lot of the turbo air lines etc.

Here is the rub - even the certified dealers do not even have the diagnostic equipment to diagnose the problem. I just personally sourced the "Variable Speed Generator" J38522 (Over $1,000 from GM but you cannot get them any more) so that I might test it. What they do is replace the $400 MAF sensor and hope for the best........If that does not solve the problem they change out the whole computer on the engine....WOW!!!! And I am paying these chuckleheads $125/ hour?

Here is the second rub. The MAF is not available from GM. Its on backorder with no date in sight as to when they will be available.

Now I am another many hundreds of dollars into crap diagnostics and no closer to a real solution that we can point our finger as at correct. Coach has been down for weeks.

This puppy is getting fixed and sold or I better get boned up on fixing this thing myself - as even the trained 'professionals' cannot do it.

Next stop a real truck.

Be well,

~
Victor - KI6IM

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 9557
Dave -

You missed several of my key points:

#1 - All three of those dealers to which you refer do not even have the necessary test gear to diagnose the problem

#2 - Two of the three of them tell the customer to buy the $400 sensor and hope that solves the problem

#3 - GM Mid-Duty Truck does not support these guys for shit - track trouble items etc. It was miracle they are making a new design on the radiators that FAIL over and over.

#4 - GM Mid-Duty Truck does not supply diagnostic equipment

#5 - Referring to item #2 above - GM Mid-Duty Truck has ZERO of these MAF sensors in their system, they are unavailable and we will know in a week if/ when I might be able to get one.

For the reasons that this particular configuration of vehicle is no longer supported by the manufacturer and I cannot find service in city of 3.2M people (7th largest city in the USA) not to mention of the suburbs. My coach has been down for weeks now. This is not the type of vehicle I want to rely on for travel. What a way to screw up your holidays.

If I cannot get it serviced by someone who is "Certified" here in the 7th largest city what the #%^& am I to do broken down in Wyoming?

The "Certified" service guys cannot get a hold of the GM folks (they have farmed it all out to some 3rd party)

Even the "Certified" service people do not even have the basic diagnostic equipment to do the correct job to service the vehicle of diagnose a real problem - the answer?? Toss in a $400 sensor after $1000 in diagnostics that should have taken 15 minutes if you knew what the fuck you were doing and had the right equipment. And they still want to charge $125/hr for WHAT??? To stand around and look like they know what they are doing?

Rush Truck Center does not even have the freaking programming cable - it got thrown away by the IT guys in accident - and they apparently cannot get another one from GM.....hmmmmm

The test equipment they do not have (neither do the other guys here in San Diego) and cannot seem to get from GM (at a costs or $1500) is a J-38522-A Variable Vehicle Signal Generator. Its actually used to simulate lots of sensors on the vehicle to diagnose problems. It "acts" like the sensor in question to you can see what changes effect the rest of the system and verify the failure mode / part.

Well its made by Kent Moore for GM and I just bought one for my personal use. Those guys cannot seem to get one.

So it cannot get any better as these coaches get older.

I am going to a International, Cummins etc. that has universal serviceability.

GM will never ever get any of my business in the future either.

Be well,

~
Victor - KI6IM

To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Saturday, July 28, 2012 5:36 AM
Subject: RE: [KodiakChassisClassC] GM Sucks - this is the demize of this chassis

Victor,

Any dealer who works on a Duramax, should be able to diagnose the problem. I take mine to a GMC dealer, who can't do warranty on the 5500 but they do any and all out of warranty work. They do warranty on 4500 on down and that is who just replaced my radiator. Also for what it's worth, on mine, they didn't have to unhook the turbo cooler. They just removed the top radiator assembly support plate and the shroud, then lifted the radiator straight up after removing hoses.

City Chevrolet, E&W Truck and Equipment and Rush GMC, in San Diego, are all listed in the dealer directory that came in our coach.

Dave

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Victor Burns

Next stop a real truck.

Be well,

~
Victor - KI6IM

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 9558
I have a code reader Yes. A pretty good one at $250

Be well,

~
Victor - KI6IM

Sent: Saturday, July 28, 2012 1:52 AM
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: GM Sucks - this is the demize of this chassis

Forgot to ask. Are there any other codes? Do you have your own code reader? This would be the first tool needed to do any type of diagnostic work on your own.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 9559
I have told the service guys to that over and over - they say it is not in the diagnostic tree from GM.

I just bought a can of MAF cleaner and will deliver to them Monday AM.

I am not paying them for whatever they think they have done this past service call. I am already many hundreds of dollars into no real diagnostics - see my other long post.....Plus my coach was so filthy I spend $300 getting it cleaned up after being down there for 3 weeks. ITs been there going on three more weeks now too.

Be well,

~
Victor - KI6IM

Sent: Saturday, July 28, 2012 1:47 AM
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: GM Sucks - this is the demize of this chassis

While we have a great group here with lots of knowledge. I believe that this problem would be well addressed over on Diesel Place, Medium Duty Trucks. You are right about finding a good dealer to service this truck and the other Duramax powered trucks that GM has. On the West Coast there are some great places to get good service on the Duramax engine. Including GM dealers. Ask this question on DP.
I did a quick look up on DP for P0101. Best answer was clean the MAF with MAF cleaner. Use a lot of it.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 9560
NO NO and NO..

All stock

Be well,

~
Victor - KI6IM

Sent: Friday, July 27, 2012 9:23 PM

Any modifications; intake kits; programmer; K&N Filter?

Those could also cause a P0101 MAF Sensor Code.

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 9561
Roger that! I have can to deliver to the service center tomorrow.

Be well,

~
Victor - KI6IM

Sent: Friday, July 27, 2012 9:09 PM

I would try to clean the MAF first with some MAF Sensor cleaner. They sell at just about every auto parts stores for about $8. Might be all it needs and a lot cheaper than replacing a part that would only need to be cleaned.

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 9564
Victor, I understand your frustration and pain. It appears that GM has simply walked away from the Kodiak lock stock and barrel.

When we got our 2007 Kodiak gasser I was amazed to find that neither the Chev Dealer (which was a Medium Duty Truck Dealer) and the GMC dealer would not touch it. Simply not interested. Kind of PO'd me because we'd purchased a Montana and a Bonneville SSEi from the GMC dealer and a Cadillac, Silhouette, Colorado, Equinox and Tahoe from the Chev dealer.

I ended up looking for a Workhorse Dealer that was also a GM dealer. That did the trick but I had to drive 40 miles to another city for service.

If you were in Indiana McCormick Motors in Nappanee Indiana would likely be able to address your problems.

Another thought is the Coach Care chain. They "might" just be able to help you given they specialize in RV's.

http://www.cumminspowerdocs.com/cumminsonan-coachcare/coachcare-locations.htm#SanDiego

I haven't seen much on the forums about them lately but earlier I did see many positive reports.

Here is a mixed review - a couple pretty good and one not so good (for a CA location). http://rvservicereviews.com/ReviewDetails.asp?FacilityID=567&State=CA&Search=&CategoryID=

Good luck

Don

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 9566
That is what I have a hard time understanding. I know many of the "car dealers" won't work on them since many don't have the mechanics with the knowledge and many don't even have tall enough doors to get the coach inside. I did have a dealer (car) in Iowa who was willing to tackle engine issues when I went into limp on the way to Wyoming. He said he would do that for anyone he just wouldn't work on the rest of the chassis. (that turned out to be the fuel filter but he was willing to diagnose and did replace it)

I'm having no problem here with either the former medium duty dealer, or as I said, the GM dealer that I go to (he just can't do warranty). I think that if getting service and support was that big of an issue nationwide it would be on the news. There are far too many municipalities, villages and townships that bought Kodiaks and Topkicks off of state bid programs that are still in service. The Feds have many in their fleet as well, including the Army (with a modified cab). I think more of our members would be voicing those issues as well, especially those with the older chassis. Maybe there are more but everyone is just sitting silent. :)

I just hope Victor gets his issues worked out or finds a dealer that wants the business.

Dave

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Don Leslie
Sent: Saturday, July 28, 2012 10:52 PM
Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] GM Sucks - this is the demize of this chassis

Victor, I understand your frustration and pain. It appears that GM has simply walked away from the Kodiak lock stock and barrel.

When we got our 2007 Kodiak gasser I was amazed to find that neither the Chev Dealer (which was a Medium Duty Truck Dealer) and the GMC dealer would not touch it. Simply not interested. Kind of PO'd me because we'd purchased a Montana and a Bonneville SSEi from the GMC dealer and a Cadillac, Silhouette, Colorado, Equinox and Tahoe from the Chev dealer.

I ended up looking for a Workhorse Dealer that was also a GM dealer. That did the trick but I had to drive 40 miles to another city for service.

If you were in Indiana McCormick Motors in Nappanee Indiana would likely be able to address your problems.

Another thought is the Coach Care chain. They "might" just be able to help you given they specialize in RV's.

http://www.cumminspowerdocs.com/cumminsonan-coachcare/coachcare-locations.htm#SanDiego

I haven't seen much on the forums about them lately but earlier I did see many positive reports.

Here is a mixed review - a couple pretty good and one not so good (for a CA location). http://rvservicereviews.com/ReviewDetails.asp?FacilityID=567&State=CA&Search=&CategoryID=

Good luck

Don

On 2012-07-28, at 8:24 PM, Victor Burns wrote:

Dave -

#1 - All three of those dealers to which you refer do not even have the necessary test gear to diagnose the problem

#2 - Two of the three of them tell the customer to buy the $400 sensor and hope that solves the problem

#3 - GM Mid-Duty Truck does not support these guys for shit - track trouble items etc. It was miracle they are making a new design on the radiators that FAIL over and over.

#5 - Referring to item #2 above - GM Mid-Duty Truck has ZERO of these MAF sensors in their system, they are unavailable and we will know in a week if/ when I might be able to get one.

For the reasons that this particular configuration of vehicle is no longer supported by the manufacturer and I cannot find service in city of 3.2M people (7th largest city in the USA) not to mention of the suburbs. My coach has been down for weeks now. This is not the type of vehicle I want to rely on for travel. What a way to screw up your holidays.

If I cannot get it serviced by someone who is "Certified" here in the 7th largest city what the #%^& am I to do broken down in Wyoming?

The "Certified" service guys cannot get a hold of the GM folks (they have farmed it all out to some 3rd party)

Even the "Certified" service people do not even have the basic diagnostic equipment to do the correct job to service the vehicle of diagnose a real problem - the answer?? Toss in a $400 sensor after $1000 in diagnostics that should have taken 15 minutes if you knew what the fuck you were doing and had the right equipment. And they still want to charge $125/hr for WHAT??? To stand around and look like they know what they are doing?

Rush Truck Center does not even have the freaking programming cable - it got thrown away by the IT guys in accident - and they apparently cannot get another one from GM.....hmmmmm

The test equipment they do not have (neither do the other guys here in San Diego) and cannot seem to get from GM (at a costs or $1500) is a J-38522-A Variable Vehicle Signal Generator. Its actually used to simulate lots of sensors on the vehicle to diagnose problems. It "acts" like the sensor in question to you can see what changes effect the rest of the system and verify the failure mode / part.

Well its made by Kent Moore for GM and I just bought one for my personal use. Those guys cannot seem to get one.

Be well,

~
Victor - KI6IM

center
To:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [KodiakChassisClassC] GM Sucks - this is the demize of this chassis

Victor,

Dave

From:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Victor Burns

Next stop a real truck.

Be well,

~
Victor - KI6IM

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 9567
Yes you have a good report but how many real problems have you had your coach into the shop for that required some talent and the original GM special tools / electronics to diagnose? Fuel filter is easy.

I have a very remedial problem in a city of 3.2M people, three certified GM mid-duty truck reference sites and support from the other GM regular truck dealers, and guess what - none of them even have the tools to diagnose the remedial problem. And now I haves sourced and spent my own money to get the diagnostic device.

IF these jokers had the correct equipment it would be diagnosed in minutes - I into this more than a $1K now.

What will come when diagnosing a tough issue?

I have been down for SIX WEEKS messing with this problem and its likely to ruin my next planned trip too.

Be well,

~
Victor - KI6IM

Sent: Sunday, July 29, 2012 5:34 AM

That is what I have a hard time understanding. I know many of the "car dealers" won't work on them since many don't have the mechanics with the knowledge and many don't even have tall enough doors to get the coach inside. I did have a dealer (car) in Iowa who was willing to tackle engine issues when I went into limp on the way to Wyoming. He said he would do that for anyone he just wouldn't work on the rest of the chassis. (that turned out to be the fuel filter but he was willing to diagnose and did replace it)

I'm having no problem here with either the former medium duty dealer, or as I said, the GM dealer that I go to (he just can't do warranty). I think that if getting service and support was that big of an issue nationwide it would be on the news. There are far too many municipalities, villages and townships that bought Kodiaks and Topkicks off of state bid programs that are still in service. The Feds have many in their fleet as well, including the Army (with a modified cab). I think more of our members would be voicing those issues as well, especially those with the older chassis. Maybe there are more but everyone is just sitting silent. :)

I just hope Victor gets his issues worked out or finds a dealer that wants the business.

Dave

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Don Leslie
Sent: Saturday, July 28, 2012 10:52 PM
Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] GM Sucks - this is the demize of this chassis

Good luck

Don

On 2012-07-28, at 8:24 PM, Victor Burns wrote:

Dave -

Be well,

~
Victor - KI6IM

center
To:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com

Victor,

Dave

From:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Victor Burns

Next stop a real truck.

Be well,

~
Victor - KI6IM

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 9568
To all,

I have a 2009 Kodiak 5500 with the Duramax. I'd like to install a brake controller and have read Bulletin 66.

It sounds like I can attach to all the wires I need at the body builder block and the group of wires that run from the 7-pin. Is this the best place?

Finding the correct wires is definitely a challenge as the colors do not remain totally consistant. Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks
Dave

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 9570
The only wire not connected to the existing 7 pin at the hitch is the blue brake wire which is found in the bundle on the passenger side frame rail

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of David Chilson
Sent: Monday, July 30, 2012 11:27 AM
To: kodiakchassisclassc@yahoogroups.com

To all,

I have a 2009 Kodiak 5500 with the Duramax. I'd like to install a brake controller and have read Bulletin 66.

It sounds like I can attach to all the wires I need at the body builder block and the group of wires that run from the 7-pin. Is this the best place?

Finding the correct wires is definitely a challenge as the colors do not remain totally consistant. Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks
Dave

center
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2012 08:36:26 -0400

Victor,

Dave

Next stop a real truck.

Be well,

~
Victor - KI6IM

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 9572
I need to rephrase that the only wire not functional, is the blue wire. It is run from the passenger side frame rail to the 7 pin and just needs to be connected to a controller. It is connected at the 7 pin by the hitch already.

Sorry for the confusion in the original post.

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of David Sparke
Sent: Monday, July 30, 2012 12:15 PM

The only wire not connected to the existing 7 pin at the hitch is the blue brake wire which is found in the bundle on the passenger side frame rail

From:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of David Chilson
Sent: Monday, July 30, 2012 11:27 AM
To:kodiakchassisclassc@yahoogroups.com

To all,

Thanks
Dave

center
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2012 08:36:26 -0400

Victor,

Dave

Next stop a real truck.

Be well,

~
Victor - KI6IM

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 9573
All the wire you need to wire a brake controller are in the bundle. Have you located the bundle yet?
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 9574
Just to clarify. As Dave did. You will need to run the light blue wire, dark blue wire and red wire from Bulliten 66 bundle to the brake controller.
Best
Ron Hall

Re: This really about Break Controllers

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 9575
Attachments :

Here is a photo of Ron our Fearless moderator beneath the Bulletin 66 bundle of Dane's Rig:

Ron under Dane's Rig
    That would be just rear of the Driver Side jack.

Here is a picture of Ron holding the 12 way chassis builder connector from the bulletin.

Ron and the connector
    The 12 way chassis builder connector that is recommended.

I am just the photographer, so you have to get the expertise elsewhere. And there are some good diagrams in Bull - 66!

I hope I have followed the thread correctly and this is helpful. Otherwise let me know.

Kevin
    Kevin (Real) McCoy [KF5FUZ / WQJE447]
    ("Roscoe Ventura" Jayco Seneca HD SS 34 Diesel 2006; "Toad" Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2007)

Reply #20
    Yahoo Message Number: 9576
    Victor
    I posted your P0101 problem over on DP MDT forum. Here is one reply from one of the best tech's that I have seen post there. Hope it helps.
    "P0101 says that the data being provided is out of range. Plugged air cleaner element, air sucking in from somewhere down stream, contaminated wire, stuck open EGR (but would have P0401 or P0406 with that, too) etc.....No way that I would replace that sensor. The data is coming, it's just the wrong data."

Best
    Ron Hall

Reply #21
    Yahoo Message Number: 9577
    Interesting - thanks! Not quite what the GM troubleshooting trees says. We are indeed installing a new sensor today to see what happens. If its failed it gives an out of range P0101 signal too from what GM states.

Will know more soon I hope.

BTW parts are easier to get from Isuzu since they were the JV partner on the engine.

Be well,

~
    Victor - KI6IM

Sent: Monday, July 30, 2012 1:04 PM

Victor
    I posted your P0101 problem over on DP MDT forum. Here is one reply from one of the best tech's that I have seen post there. Hope it helps.
    "P0101 says that the data being provided is out of range. Plugged air cleaner element, air sucking in from somewhere down stream, contaminated wire, stuck open EGR (but would have P0401 or P0406 with that, too) etc.....No way that I would replace that sensor. The data is coming, it's just the wrong data."

Best
    Ron Hall

Reply #23
    Yahoo Message Number: 9579
    The two engine options 2007.5 - 2010 Model Years Some late 2007s and ALL 2008 - 2010 Came in two flavors:
    LMM (Chevrolet Kodiak Medium Duty (LYE option), GMC TopKick Medium Duty (LYE option))

2007-2010 330 bhp (250 kW) @3000 620 lb·ft (841 N·m) @1600 3250 LMM (Chevrolet Kodiak Medium Duty (LRX option), GMC TopKick Medium Duty (LRX option)) 2007-2010 300 bhp (220 kW) @3000 520 lb·ft (705 N·m) @1600 3250

Be well,

~
    Victor - KI6IM

Sent: Monday, July 30, 2012 5:42 PM

Some info on the JV with GM and Isuzu.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duramax_V8_engine

I found it interesting that things were easier to get from Isuzu.

Don

Reply #24
    Yahoo Message Number: 9588
    Well GM picked up the tab and the dealer installed a new MAF sensor. With 20+ starts and 60 miles of use - no CEL.

Maybe we are good?

Be well,

~
    Victor - KI6IM

Sent: Monday, July 30, 2012 1:04 PM

Victor

Best
    Ron Hall