Skip to main content
Topic: Potty problems (Read 475 times) previous topic - next topic

Potty problems

Yahoo Message Number: 7523
Anybody out there had problems with the Thetford Aqua magic V? I have replaced the pedal cable now 3 times. I've had to order the cable kit each time as no one keeps them in stock. I purchased a spare for the next time.
Denny

2006 Seneca 35GS Dmax. Ford Ranger toad.

Re: Potty problems

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 7525

Verry strange....operator error?

~
Victor Burns | KI6IM
2008 Kodiak Dutchmen Diesel 34H

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 7526
Dennis,

not sure ours is the same, ours has 2 stages (water only and then dump), it worked for maybe 3 times and never did again unless there is: first , pressure on the plate to keep it closed or high pressure water.,
no problems w/ cables. did not know that was a cable.
Mo

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 7527
I have had to make adjustment to mine so that it would stage water and the dump with further movement of the pedal. Yours seems to be the same as mine and should 2 stage. Pull the shroud and look on the back of potty. You will see a cable operated cam. Attached to the bottom of that cam is a rod that on the other end is attached to ball valve cam. Sometimes just a bit of lube in the cam slot will allow the stage and dump to work properly. Give that a try. Otherwise physically bending the rod to make slide in the slot better may be needed. In that case you will have to remove the potty to get tools on the mechanics. Hope this helps.
Denny

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 7528
Dennis,

I don't know if I have the same model, but when I replaced the cable it worked allot smoother then the old cable. I think the cable had been pinched or routed wrong. When you put it back together, watch the cable as you put the bowl onto the lower section. It might be moving into the wrong position.

Dan

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 7531
Mo, Thetford told me there is some linkage in the opening of the rear of the stool that needs lubed with silicone when the stool won't just fill with water with out flushing. When mine stopped filling with out flushing I tried to lube the linkage but I couldn't see in the opening behind the stool so I just sprayed everything behind inside the stool rear opening and it started working - Filling with water with out flushing.
Larry Myers

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 7533
Thanks Larry,

I will check on that this weekend, after Irene leaves and hopefully does not cause any damage.
later
Mo

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 7557
Hi Everyone - I had the exact same problem everyone else was describing with the Thetford stools not properly engaging the "two stage" process. It just opens all the way from the get go.

I tried and tried to tweak that connecting rod to slide properly down the cam groove, but to no avail. It just wants to stay "home" in sort of a notch that it creates for itself over time because it is metal, under spring tension, and sitting in one place on a soft plastic cam. It's a poor design that will absolutely fail over time if it works for any time at all. My coach is a 2010 and they failed right away.

I fixed mine yesterday (for now?) by going to Home Depot and buying a couple springs. I hooked on spring around the rod in question, and then pulled the spring across the assembly in the bag and hooked it to a plastic piece that would hold it. The spring works great to encourage the rod to slide down the cam as it should. A hundred or so tests on the pedals have it working correctly. If the spring breaks, now that I know how to do it, it would be about a five minute fix for another however long fix.

I hope this helps as an idea for others.

LSRIII

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 7560
Mo -

It sounds like you have the same issue I had. I looked at the linkage on mine and realized it was not terribly well designed. The spring on the one in our rig put too much pressure on the linkage for it to work correctly. I ened up buying replacement springs (that are not as strong) from McMaster Carr. I bought items 9654K373 and 9654K374. I think it was the 373's that worked the best for me. I can check on it in a couple of days if you need me to ...

Sam