Skip to main content
Topic: The little flap on the Microwave vent exit (Read 444 times) previous topic - next topic

The little flap on the Microwave vent exit

Yahoo Message Number: 6975
The little flap that protects the microwave fan exit went to the happy hunting grounds. Some strong winds lately in TX and it got a work out on one of our recent trips. Maybe too much of a workout.
I get really nervous about open holes to the outside world. They just seem to call out to critters - "Nest Here!"
I took a quick trip to a local dealer that stocks a few parts, and they had an assembly there. The gal at the parts counter said that the retaining tabs should be put on during travel.

Doh!

Am I the only one that didn't know?
I extracted the part I needed and installed it in the slot. The design now has a retaining bar half way down the fixture. My unit had no such retaining bar. I am traveling and storing now with "tabs closed". One more thing for the checklist.
Kevin

Kevin (Real) McCoy [KF5FUZ / WQJE447]
("Roscoe Ventura" Jayco Seneca HD SS 34 Diesel 2006; "Toad" Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2007)

Re: The little flap on the Microwave vent exit

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 6976
Well I know about it. But am lazy. When I install my vent (mh did not have one) it did not take long before I knew it's flapping from wind blowing on it had to stop. Went to ACE Hardware. Purchased a light weight pull spring. Then drilled holes to hook spring in door and inside frame of vent. Vent now stays closed unless microwave fan is turned on. Been on vent for 3 years now.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 6977
An awning rod works great to lock/unlock those little tabs... I know the Senecas did not come with one so I bought one.

Dave Sparke

To: KodiakChassisClassC
Sent: Friday, May 6, 2011 4:45 PM
Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] The little flap on the Microwave vent exit

The little flap that protects the microwave fan exit went to the happy hunting grounds. Some strong winds lately in TX and it got a work out on one of our recent trips. Maybe too much of a workout.
I get really nervous about open holes to the outside world. They just seem to call out to critters - "Nest Here!"
I took a quick trip to a local dealer that stocks a few parts, and they had an assembly there. The gal at the parts counter said that the retaining tabs should be put on during travel.

Doh!

Am I the only one that didn't know?
I extracted the part I needed and installed it in the slot. The design now has a retaining bar half way down the fixture. My unit had no such retaining bar. I am traveling and storing now with "tabs closed". One more thing for the checklist.
Kevin

Kevin (Real) McCoy [KF5FUZ / WQJE447]
("Roscoe Ventura" Jayco Seneca HD SS 34 Diesel 2006; "Toad" Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2007)

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 6978
I've had these vents on several RVs and do not use the tabs because I forget to open them. On one RV, the vent flapped in the wind so I put a small magnet and metal tab on the vent frame. The fan would blow it open. On my Seneca, I just let it hang free.

George

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 6979
Ya I hate that flap, wish there was a way to latch it from the inside