Skip to main content
Topic: Replacement batteries / Battery or Alternator re-visit (Read 645 times) previous topic - next topic

Replacement batteries / Battery or Alternator re-visit

Yahoo Message Number: 3302
Getting ready to replace the chassis Gel batteries on my 06 Kodiak Seneca and wanted to know what you guys would recommend as a good replacement.

I posted last week "Batteries or Alternator" and I am almost positive my problem lies in the batteries. Although I have not load tested the batteries yet (getting done on Monday) I drove the Seneca for about an hour today with a tester designed to check the alternator while driving. The tester installs in the cig lighter and reads the alternator strength while driving. After about one hour of driving my problems surfaced again with the battery light coming on while slowing to a stop, followed by the ABS light, brake light and seat belt light, as well as all gauges dropping to zero when I came to a total stop. Additionally all warning lights went off except the battery light when the gas pedal was depressed and gauges returned to normal until I came to a stop again. During the light and dash events the cig lighter alternator gauge held steady at 14+. Considering the warning lights would go off with the engine power up, I think the alternator is fine and the batteries are faltering under load but the alternator cant keep up with the drain and are due for replacement.
Is my thinking in line with you experts? I'm just a banker desk jockey and not that mechanical by nature so I yield to your superior knowledge.

Re: Replacement batteries / Battery or Alternator re-visit

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 3305
If you still had 14 volts at the cigarette lighter I would think that you have other problems. More than likely bad ground connection. The one that I seen mentioned most are on the frame near the batteries. Does your MH have a electric brake controller for a Trailer? I heard where one was hooked up using the same connection as the instrument panel ground. But was not tightened up correctly.
If your Kodiak has original batteries they are not Gel batteries. They are sealed. Consider a GM Delco Battery http://www.acdelco.com/parts/battery/
Other good batteries are Interstate and Napa.
Bad batteries most ofter cause hard starting and engine control (ECM) problems. I would be concerned what caused dirty connection that you found last time. What caused the connection problem?
Bad connections cause localized problems like yours.
I still have original batteries in my 2004 MH.

Re: Replacement batteries / Battery or Alternator re-visit

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 3318
Problem solved! The local Chev dealer indentified an intermittent short to ground on the data link circuit. The harness under the dash had rubbed through on the steering column brace. I never would have found the problem. Glad it was covered under warranty!