Skip to main content
Topic: battery charging (Read 486 times) previous topic - next topic

battery charging

Yahoo Message Number: 9510
Got a easy question......is most of our units does the alternator charge the house batteries as we drive ???
Can't seem to track mine down to be ale to tell if it does or not. Checked with engine running and no extra charge on batteries so was wondering where to look next to see if a fuse or something isn't working right or is it that I don't have that option.......

mechanically hopeless !!
Gary

Re: battery charging

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 9511
I have a solenoid that looks like this that switches power when engine is running.
http://www.amazon.com/Tekonsha-7001-Terminal-Battery-Isolator/dp/B002OQXIS4/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1342947134&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=camco+battery+solenoid
If you have a relay operated solenoid it may look like this.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001HC6UJ0/ref=s9_simh_gw_p263_d0_g422_i4?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=03BAC61PXRJ2WNTQ642K&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846
My solenoid is mounted in same bay as HD circuit breakers for slides and jacks. Hydraulic pump is also mounted in that bay.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 9513
Jayco Case:

From the Jayco Manual

"The coach batteries will also receive a charge from the alternator when the engine is
running."

---

ISOLATORS
When RV "coach" or "house" batteries are installed in parallel circuitry with OEM chassis
batteries the charge level in all connected batteries will naturally equalize. A "isolator"
solenoid is incorporated to break the connection between the coach batteries and the OEM
chassis batteries when the ignition key is in the "OFF" position. Breaking this connection
prevents discharge of the OEM chassis batteries (used to start the engine) when using the
12-volt devices in the house section of your motorhome. When the engine is running the
"isolator" solenoid engages allowing the coach batteries to be charged by the vehicle
alternator.

The "isolator" solenoid is located in the coach battery box at the right rear corner of your
motorhome.

Kevin KF5FUZ
Kevin (Real) McCoy [KF5FUZ / WQJE447]
("Roscoe Ventura" Jayco Seneca HD SS 34 Diesel 2006; "Toad" Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2007)

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 9514
I've always thought the manufacturers have been deficient by not building in a chassis battery charging system so that when we are connected to shore power the chassis battery(s) would automatically charge and when fully charged switch to trickle charge mode.

Don

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 9515
Jayco does, at least on our 35GS. I was surprised when I read how the system worked.

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Don Leslie
Sent: Sunday, July 22, 2012 4:21 PM
To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] battery charging

I've always thought the manufacturers have been deficient by not building in a chassis battery charging system so that when we are connected to shore power the chassis battery(s) would automatically charge and when fully charged switch to trickle charge mode.

Don

On 2012-07-22, at 12:15 PM, Kevin (Real) McCoy wrote:

Jayco Case:

From the Jayco Manual

"The coach batteries will also receive a charge from the alternator when the engine is
running."

---

ISOLATORS
When RV "coach" or "house" batteries are installed in parallel circuitry with OEM chassis
batteries the charge level in all connected batteries will naturally equalize. A "isolator"
solenoid is incorporated to break the connection between the coach batteries and the OEM
chassis batteries when the ignition key is in the "OFF" position. Breaking this connection
prevents discharge of the OEM chassis batteries (used to start the engine) when using the
12-volt devices in the house section of your motorhome. When the engine is running the
"isolator" solenoid engages allowing the coach batteries to be charged by the vehicle
alternator.

The "isolator" solenoid is located in the coach battery box at the right rear corner of your
motorhome.

Kevin KF5FUZ
("Roscoe Ventura" Jayco Seneca HD SS 34 Diesel 2006; "Toad" Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2007)

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 9516
I though mine charged the chassis battery too? But even if the chassis battery dies an ugly death there is a switch that connects the chassis batteries to the house batteries so you can get the coach started.

Be well,

~
Victor - KI6IM
Kodiak Diesel Dutchmen 34H Bunkhouse

Sent: Sunday, July 22, 2012 2:15 PM
Subject: RE: [KodiakChassisClassC] battery charging

Jayco does, at least on our 35GS. I was surprised when I read how the system worked.

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Don Leslie

Don

Jayco Case:

From the Jayco Manual

running."

---

ISOLATORS
alternator.

motorhome.

Kevin KF5FUZ

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 9517
How does the system work Dave? I can recall at least on manufacturer that included a trickle charge system but it really was an add-on rather than an integral part of the electrical system with the converter supplying 12v power to the house and coach batteries.

Don

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 9518
There is a "gizmo" (for a lack of better terms) right next to my coach batteries that monitors the chassis batteries. When they need a charge it allows it to happen. I was surprised when I found out that it was a part of the system. I would get you the details but the MH is at the dealer right now since my radiator started to leak. Glad I have the extended warranty. :) When I get it back I will look up what it is officially called.

Sent: Sunday, July 22, 2012 6:03 PM

How does the system work Dave? I can recall at least on manufacturer that included a trickle charge system but it really was an add-on rather than an integral part of the electrical system with the converter supplying 12v power to the house and coach batteries.

Don

On 2012-07-22, at 5:15 PM, David Sparke wrote:

From:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Don Leslie
To:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com

Don

Jayco Case:

From the Jayco Manual

running."

---

ISOLATORS
alternator.

motorhome.

Kevin KF5FUZ