Skip to main content
Topic: Seneca Clear Coat (Read 468 times) previous topic - next topic

Seneca Clear Coat

Yahoo Message Number: 9056
Has anyone had a problem with the clear coat peeling on the front Seneca cap? My '07. with full-body paint, has the clear coat finish peeling in more than a dozen spots. Can this be repaired without removing the paint underneath?

George

Re: Seneca Clear Coat

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 9057
I remember Russ in our group having a problem like this
Larry

I have noticed the "SENECA" decal on my front cap has started to fade and then
peel. Closer inspection revealed the clear coat started to flake away and
numerous small cracks develop as result of a Colorado hailstorm in July'10. I
took the MH to a local body shop who specializes in MH's and he suggested the
following course of action, the most important to me was to correct the very
small circular cracks in the cap.
After a complete sanding of the cap surface he applied numerous coats of a
product made by US Chemical Co. It is called: SMC Structural Repair Compound w/
cream hardener. This product is used for fiberglass and Corvette repair. The
white gel coat was repainted with a white automotive paint. The 'oval' is also
being repainted to match existing. The 'Seneca' vinyl graphic will not be
re-applied. Finally the entire cap will be painted with PPG 3010 clear coat at 2
mill's.

................russ

Mon Apr 4, 2011 2:42 pm

Show Message Option
"RussH"
russclaudia
Send Email Send Email

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 9059
Thanks for the info. I hope I don't have to all the way down to the fiberglass like Russ. John is looking at Diamond Shield (which I think is a clear plastic sheet) but I'm too far gone to put a cover over what's there.

George

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 9073
My front cap repair was done about a year ago, and the shop did a great job. The secret is in selecting a good clear coat. I specified that I wanted PPG 3010 clear. I went so far as purchasing it from a very small body shop friend of mine. It has held up very well and is much better that the clear coat that Jayco applied. Jayco subs out their full body paint to a local Elkart paint facility, it is not done in-house. Yes, my front cap paint had to be painted before the clear was applied, due to structural repairs......russ

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 9075
Thanks for the info. Russ. I'm on my way north to Elkhart. Perhaps Jayco, or the paint shop can figure out what has caused this.
George

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 9077
Russ, we had some paint peeling on a slide and they sent it to a shop in Topeka (IN) and I was under the impression they owned that facility. The work on ours was not extensive though - just peeling or flacking at the corners.

Don

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 9078
Not sure about the standard paint, but Carrera Design did the full body paint and they do many other brands asks well.

Don Leslie  wrote:

Russ, we had some paint peeling on a slide and they sent it to a shop in Topeka (IN) and I was under the impression they owned that facility. The work on ours was not extensive though - just peeling or flacking at the corners.

Don

Clear coat

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 9058
I have the same problem. Called Jayco and they put me onto a company called Diamond Shield 888-806-5862. Spoke to them on Friday and they want pictures which I will do on Monday and see what happens. Also does anyone else have the problem and has had it fixed?

As always travel safe and enjoy
John and Kathy