Skip to main content
Topic: Weird thermostat problem (Read 553 times) previous topic - next topic

Weird thermostat problem

Yahoo Message Number: 10464
I have a digital RV products thermostat and it seems to have a mind of its own. I can have it in the off position and it will randomly turn back on. The last time I used the motorhome I used the head so when I got it out of storage the propane tank was empty from running in storage. I have to keep the air conditioner breakers turned off or the AC will run. Does anybody have any ideas?

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE DROID

Victor Burns  wrote:

it's funny when you're going 65 miles an hour on the freeway and it's cold, you hit the brakes a slow down and all the cold air from the back of the motorhome was forwarded to the driving compartment... Burrrrr

Re: Weird thermostat problem

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 10466
YOU ARE NOT ALONE.

Yes. This happened to me.  Never knew when what would turn on. Very spontaneous. Tried several things, but in the end replacing the thermostat was what worked. Simpler the better.

Kevin

Kevin (Real) McCoy [KF5FUZ]
("Roscoe Ventura" Jayco Seneca HD SS 34 Diesel 2006; "Toad" Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2007)

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 10467
Victor......I have the same problem with my '06 Seneca. Replaced the thermostat and the problem did not go away. As Ron Hall sugggested, I just need to replace the thermostat........russ

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 10470
What are ya’ll replacing the thermostat with?  I know years ago people were using  a hunter stat and adding a toggle switch for the hi/lo fan speed.      From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of RussHSent: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 10:17 PMTo: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.comSubject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: Weird thermostat problem    Victor......I have the same problem with my '06 Seneca. Replaced the thermostat and the problem did not go away. As Ron Hall sugggested, I just need to replace the thermostat........russ  --- In KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com, Ronnie Hartzog wrote:>> I have a digital RV products thermostat and it seems to have a mind of its own. I can have it in the off position and it will randomly turn back on. The last time I used the motorhome I used the head so when I got it out of storage the propane tank was empty from running in storage. I have to keep the air conditioner breakers turned off or the AC will run. Does anybody have any ideas?> > Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE DROID> > Victor Burns wrote:> > >it's funny when you're going 65 miles an hour on the freeway and it's cold, you hit the brakes a slow down and all the cold air from the back of the motorhome was forwarded to the driving compartment... Burrrrr> >> >Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android> >>

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 10472
I think there was an extra NOT in Russ' response.

My Dutchmen has a basic mechanical one - I had one of those fail too, but it was easy to replace and CHEAP too. I cannot remember but it needs to match the type of furnace & A/C units. I just replaced with the same after pondering gettting a nice digital one to get it (re) set to the same temp each time I use it. I was talked out of it by the folks at camping world and ordered the exact replacement from the manufacturer - who my the way sent me the replacement for free!

Be well,

~
Victor - KI6IM
Kodiak Diesel Dutchmen 34H Bunkhouse

To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2013 7:04 AM
Subject: RE: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: Weird thermostat problem

What are ya'll replacing the thermostat with? I know years ago people were using a hunter stat and adding a toggle switch for the hi/lo fan speed.

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of RussH
Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 10:17 PM
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: Weird thermostat problem

Victor......I have the same problem with my '06 Seneca. Replaced the thermostat and the problem did not go away. As Ron Hall sugggested, I just need to replace the thermostat........russ

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 10484
I called and talked to one of the tech’s at the factory, he recommended taking the cover off of the stat and pulling the fuse for a couple minutes to reset the stat.  Going to try this if not moving on to the fix below    write-up here http://www.rvusa.com/forum/vbulletin/showthread.php/9215-RVP-Thermostat-Replacement-with-Digital-Honeywell-Thermostat to swap out the stat’s.    From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Victor BurnsSent: Wednesday, January 16, 2013 11:52 AMTo: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.comSubject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: Weird thermostat problem    I think there was an extra NOT in Russ' response.My Dutchmen has a basic mechanical one - I had one of those fail too, but it was easy to replace and CHEAP too.  I cannot remember but it needs to match the type of furnace & A/C units.  I just replaced with the same after pondering gettting a nice digital one to get it (re) set to the same temp each time I use it.  I was talked out of it by the folks at camping world and ordered the exact replacement from the manufacturer - who my the way sent me the replacement for free!   Be well,~Victor - KI6IMKodiak Diesel Dutchmen 34H Bunkhouse  From: Ronnie Hartzog <georonnie@...>To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2013 7:04 AMSubject: RE: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: Weird thermostat problem    What are ya’ll replacing the thermostat with?  I know years ago people were using  a hunter stat and adding a toggle switch for the hi/lo fan speed.   From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of RussHSent: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 10:17 PMTo: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.comSubject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: Weird thermostat problem   Victor......I have the same problem with my '06 Seneca. Replaced the thermostat and the problem did not go away. As Ron Hall sugggested, I just need to replace the thermostat........russ  --- In KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com, Ronnie Hartzog wrote:>> I have a digital RV products thermostat and it seems to have a mind of its own. I can have it in the off position and it will randomly turn back on. The last time I used the motorhome I used the head so when I got it out of storage the propane tank was empty from running in storage. I have to keep the air conditioner breakers turned off or the AC will run. Does anybody have any ideas?> > Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE DROID> > Victor Burns wrote:> > >it's funny when you're going 65 miles an hour on the freeway and it's cold, you hit the brakes a slow down and all the cold air from the back of the motorhome was forwarded to the driving compartment... Burrrrr> >> >Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android> >>  

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 10485
My weird thermostat problems were resolved by running a new power wire to it from a dedicated fuse on the block. They had tapped a wire from a light running inside the wall and there was also a bad connection in the roof a/c unit that when vibrating caused a bad signal to the thermostat. Sort of a two stage problem.

I didn't figure this out myself, it was done by a guy who charges $85/hr for his work, but at least he got it right after the dealers couldn't.

Take care,
Greg

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 10487
It should not take much to replace the original thermostat. Just replace with a battery operated thermostat.
When I looked at Russ's thermostat. I suspects a problem with wiring inside the AC. We decided to have a cool one instead of finding the problem.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 10489
Ron wrote:

It should not take much to replace the original thermostat. Just replace
with a battery operated thermostat.

At least that takes the worry out of the power side of it.

When I looked at Russ's thermostat. I suspects a problem with wiring
inside the AC.

There is a connector up in the A/C unit that is like a hard drive
connector in a computer and if you touched mine, it would try to cycle
on and off. The tech replaced the connector and all was well there.
Going down the road really gave it hell and the tech said the two
connectors weren't matched....sorta like it was a Friday and the guy
wiring it up just grabbed one to get the job done whether it was right
or wrong.

We decided to have a cool one instead of finding the problem.

Well, NOW you're talking sense :-)

Greg

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 10491
Kevin (Real) McCoy wrote:

Ronnie is doing the heavy lifting!

Somebody has to...the rest of us are sloths! :-)

Greg

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 10558
Well I took the cover off the thermostat to not find a fuse like I was told. Guess I will move on to replacing the thermostats.

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 10559
You may have to remove the entire thermostat and pull all the wires out of the wall. JAYCO put's an in-line fuse in the wiring mess in the wall. (DUMB DUMB DUMB)

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of georonnie@...
Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 4:26 PM

Well I took the cover off the thermostat to not find a fuse like I was told. Guess I will move on to replacing the thermostats.

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 10560

On Jan 23, 2013, at 6:23 PM, "David Sparke"  wrote:

You may have to remove the entire thermostat and pull all the wires out of the wall. JAYCO put's an in-line fuse in the wiring mess in the wall. (DUMB DUMB DUMB)

Exactly right!!! My fuse was a few inches of wire down in the wall and not an easy thing to get out the hole Idiots.

Take care,
Greg

From:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of
Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 4:26 PM
To:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com

--- In , Greg Gimlick wrote:

Kevin (Real) McCoy wrote:
Ronnie is doing the heavy lifting!

Somebody has to...the rest of us are sloths! :-)

Greg

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 10561
Guess I was lucky. We were parked in the service lot at Jayco. The heat would not come on and it was a coooool night. Jacyo tech couldn't find out why the furnace would not fire. They called the manufacturer of the thermostat in Elkhart and their tech came out and fixed it - well replaced it.

Don