Skip to main content
Topic: rear spring upgrade seneca (Read 394 times) previous topic - next topic

rear spring upgrade seneca

Yahoo Message Number: 9661
Hi, I found a truck shop here that will upgrade my rear springs, however they want me to buy the parts. I put bags on it so I would like to keep those instead of going to the helper spring. Does anyone have the GM part number for the leaf I need to buy? Also is it just a replacement of a leaf to a heavier one or is it adding another to the current stack? I currently have the 15000 setup. Thanks!

Re: rear spring upgrade seneca

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 9662
Might buy super springs or Hellwig. Placed on my 2008 34ss and help a lot. Had to go 3 places to have them installed but work well.

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 9684
I've looked high and low, however just wanted to give this information in case anyone is wanting the job done. John at Hendersons line up came through for me and made several calls to get the part numbers. Each 19,000# spring pack is #10372725, approximately $400 each. Thanks Hendersons
Seneca is in route to either have these put on or another leaf added by the shop to get to 19000lbs. I get to keep my airbags as well so that is more comfort and especially I don't have to take the risk of a bag failer when hauling the trailer and supporting that weight.

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 9685
Maybe I am missing something? But iF you are worried about supporting that "weight" you are likely OVERLOADED to begin with - look at your axle rating(s)

I would be more worried about a huge failure (and subsequent liability) for that failure of of the overloaded axle than the airbag(s)

If you need airbags due to what you are towing something is WAY WRONG.

I have a 24' trailer I tow with zero sag, zero effect on handling and not overloading my 19,500#/26,000# chassis' GVWR/GCWR.

What are you towing?
What is your Tow Rig?
What is your GVWR
What is your GCWR
What is your Trailer Weight?
Are you using a load leveling hitch? if yes, what is its rating?
What is your trailer tongue weight?
What is your rig's static weigh on the front axle?
What is your rig's static weigh on the rear axle?
What is your rig's fully loaded weight with the trailer attached on these axles?

If you cannot answer ALL of the above questions you really need to get to the point where you can know exactly each of the above.

Obviously my pet peeve is incorrectly loaded RVs, the danger of these rigs on the road and subsequent inconvenience of road failures, innocent people being injured or killed etc. Just because you think your RV can tow it should you actually be doing it.

Be well,

~
Victor - KI6IM
Kodiak Diesel Dutchmen 34H Bunkhouse

To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, August 21, 2012 8:38 AM
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: rear spring upgrade seneca

I've looked high and low, however just wanted to give this information in case anyone is wanting the job done. John at Hendersons line up came through for me and made several calls to get the part numbers. Each 19,000# spring pack is #10372725, approximately $400 each. Thanks Hendersons
Seneca is in route to either have these put on or another leaf added by the shop to get to 19000lbs. I get to keep my airbags as well so that is more comfort and especially I don't have to take the risk of a bag failer when hauling the trailer and supporting that weight.

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 9747
I just received a set of SuperSprings SSA17's for my 2007 Jayco Seneca 35GS. I found a really good price on Amazon for them and ordered the Hydraulic Compression Jack from SuperSprings directly. Plus, I didn't want to drop all sorts of cash on an entirely new 19,000lb spring pack, plus installation. I have about $550 into it total.

Installation was like anything else when you have two to do -- the first one took about 4 hours and the second spring took about an hour. It helps to have two people get the springs into place and through the wheel wells.

These springs raised the coach approximately 2 inches at the rear wheel well and about 3.5 inches at the hitch. The coach is now level from front to back and there is no more rear sag. I really like the raise because in CO here we do a lot of dry camping with ATV's and the extra height in the rear really helps out.

In terms of driving, I really liked it. To me, it didn't seem to be that much harsher as in terms of feeling road expansions, bumps, etc. Much, much less tippy (sway).

As of now, the this is the only modification I've done. I do have a SuperSteer Rear Sway bar showing up here on Friday. I don't have a ton of left-right movement, but I notice when my wife drives the coach, she oversteers because of it. I probably do as well.

The only other thing I was thinking of doing was installing Koni FSD shocks....but time will tell there. I want to drive the coach more with these two items installed.

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 9748
I swapped out my stock shocks with the Koni shocks and it made an huge difference in both ride and driving compliance.

The Koni shocks and compression and rebound damping and are set up for motorhome weight whereas the stock ones are compression only and set up for some random weight probably a compromise between what a full and empty truck would weigh.

I should have done it the the day I bought the coach and not waited.

Be well,

~
Victor - KI6IM
Kodiak Diesel Dutchmen 34H Bunkhouse

To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, August 29, 2012 11:11 AM
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: rear spring upgrade seneca

I just received a set of SuperSprings SSA17's for my 2007 Jayco Seneca 35GS. I found a really good price on Amazon for them and ordered the Hydraulic Compression Jack from SuperSprings directly. Plus, I didn't want to drop all sorts of cash on an entirely new 19,000lb spring pack, plus installation. I have about $550 into it total.

Installation was like anything else when you have two to do -- the first one took about 4 hours and the second spring took about an hour. It helps to have two people get the springs into place and through the wheel wells.

These springs raised the coach approximately 2 inches at the rear wheel well and about 3.5 inches at the hitch. The coach is now level from front to back and there is no more rear sag. I really like the raise because in CO here we do a lot of dry camping with ATV's and the extra height in the rear really helps out.

In terms of driving, I really liked it. To me, it didn't seem to be that much harsher as in terms of feeling road expansions, bumps, etc. Much, much less tippy (sway).

As of now, the this is the only modification I've done. I do have a SuperSteer Rear Sway bar showing up here on Friday. I don't have a ton of left-right movement, but I notice when my wife drives the coach, she oversteers because of it. I probably do as well.

The only other thing I was thinking of doing was installing Koni FSD shocks....but time will tell there. I want to drive the coach more with these two items installed.