Skip to main content
Topic: Car Dolly Question (Read 494 times) previous topic - next topic

Car Dolly Question

Yahoo Message Number: 8675
Well, I'm still wrestling with the car dolly that came with our Kodiak and trying to decide what to do about it. The problem - our toad is too wide and the fenders of the dolly bang against the car when turning. It looks like I could reduce or eliminate the pivot of the dolly and it might solve the issue. I'm concerned that there may need to be some pivot on the dolly or it wouldn't pivot in the first place? Other option to sell the dolly and go with a flat bed car hauler and haul the toad off the ground altogehter. I would like to get the dolly operational if possible 'cause it's paid for, easy to store, and doesn't need to be licensed. Any thoughts on the "pivotal" question regarding the dolly? Thanks gang!

Re: Car Dolly Question

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 8676

I have no experience with a dolly as I tow flat, a Chevy Suburban and a Honda CRV.

Roger

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 8677
My 2c

I had a love for AWD vehicles - Subaru, Lexus, ....

BUT The extra weight for 4 wheels up is HUGE when I looked. Disconnects looked intrusive and expensive.

This is a long term thing for me and I just decided that 4 wheels down was better and ... I got rid of two AWD vehicles and went with a single compromise that can be towed 4 wheels down. Even was lucky and got a used unit that was already modified to be towed (I wanted blue Ox but it was already done with Roadmaster.)

Tough at the time, but it all worked out great.

I bet in the end it is cheaper and less wear on everything else. Fuel, breaks, ... If you stick with the dolly and get the problem fixed, you will still have issue with sway and alignment. If you go four up you have weight and cost of the trailer. Where to stow it...Campground issues...

Good luck on your decision.

Kevin
Kevin (Real) McCoy [KF5FUZ / WQJE447]
("Roscoe Ventura" Jayco Seneca HD SS 34 Diesel 2006; "Toad" Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2007)

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 8678
I assume you have locked the steering on the tow vehicle this is a must, my dolley has a stated maximum width on it check that first. the other option is to sell and get a different type of dolly (there are ones that don't pivot but the wheels turn) but these may have the same interference issue or have some one extend the frame (push the wheels out wider). Without the pivot the rear wheels of the toad will skid sideways when turning. Good Luck!

Bob

To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sunday, March 18, 2012 7:37 AM
Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] Car Dolly Question

I have no experience with a dolly as I tow flat, a Chevy Suburban and a Honda CRV.

Roger

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 8679
Need some information. What type/brand tow dolly do you have? Download a manual for your tow dolly. If you do not know the manufacture download similar to yours. Tow Master, Roadmaster and Demco KarKaddy are popular brands. Your Altima should fit most tow dollys. It's max body width is 70". Max width for common dollies is 76".
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 8680
When I purchased my Seneca in 09 I played with what to do when I tow.
I decided on the Kar Kaddy, best investment, extremely durable and I tow
A 2006 Honda odyssey and a 2010 Ford Taurus. Check out the dimensions
on this unit and see if it gives you a little extra space.

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 8681
I got the Kar Kaddy SS and tow our Ford Escape we like it alot. Folds down to half the regular size and follows nicely. Pivots and as mentioned before you want
the steering to be locked, also don't forget to take out the locking pin that lets it pivot or not pivot.
Gary

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 8683
It looks to me like I am the odd man out. I pull a flat bed with all four off the ground. I don't have an option because I tow either a 1996 or 1975 Landcruiser. Neither tows well behind the MH. The 1996 is full time four wheel drive and the 75 has oversized tires for rockcrawling. Both of these trucks are very heavy and with the long overhang between the rear axel and the hitch, I am concerned that a heavy four on the ground vehicle would tend to push the rear of the MH around, especially in turns. At least that has been my experience in other towing situations. My limited experience with all four off the ground has been favorable except the added weight of the trailer. I am thinking about getting an equalizer hitch, which I believe will resolve any outstanding issues. Does anyone have experience with equalizers on MHs?
Thanks.

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 8685
I tow a 24' enclosed trailer (race car) behind our 05 Gulf Stream 6316 and it tows much better with the equalizer hitch. The motorhome is as it was produced other than air bags and a set of Koni's.

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of shermanyoung34
Sent: March-18-12 11:17 AM
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: Car Dolly Question

It looks to me like I am the odd man out. I pull a flat bed with all four off the ground. I don't have an option because I tow either a 1996 or 1975 Landcruiser. Neither tows well behind the MH. The 1996 is full time four wheel drive and the 75 has oversized tires for rockcrawling. Both of these trucks are very heavy and with the long overhang between the rear axel and the hitch, I am concerned that a heavy four on the ground vehicle would tend to push the rear of the MH around, especially in turns. At least that has been my experience in other towing situations. My limited experience with all four off the ground has been favorable except the added weight of the trailer. I am thinking about getting an equalizer hitch, which I believe will resolve any outstanding issues. Does anyone have experience with equalizers on MHs?
Thanks.

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 8688
Thanks for the input. My Seneca 34ss is also stock except for Koni's and front and rear tracking bars. Sounds like an equalizer will help. What do your trailer and race car weigh together? I think I am about 7,000 lbs trailer and Cruiser combined.

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 8689

I have a 24' box trailer with my off road racecar and junk in it. You need take the trailer, car etc to a scale and verify your weight and loading, especially tongue weight.
I installed a load leveling or weight distribution hitch two weeks ago as well and carefully weighed my set-up, adjusted trailer load etc. for optimal performance..you want 10-15 percent of the trailer's weight on the tongue.
Then get a load leveling hitch for that rating...in my case about 1000#s. The hitch moves about 50% of the load to the front: your rear axles are already about maxed out befor your add the trailer to begin with so this is important.
My motorhome 34H Dutchmen really trailers nice with the new hitch (Craigslist $100) and the whole set up, now 62 feet long total drives like a dream.
Airbags etc. are NOT the appropriate answer, it only further enables you to incorrectly overload the ass end of your coach.
Now I am right at max GVWR and GCWR for my desert missions. I am looking into Embark and Dynaquest as next options, vehicles that are on a chassis that can tow real weight safely.
Your Landcruiser and trailer I am pretty sure put you very near or overweight which impedes safety.

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 8705
My trailer weighs about 8000 lbs loaded with 1000 lbs on the tongue. I think the bars I'm using are rated for 1200 lbs.

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of shermanyoung34
Sent: March-19-12 5:51 AM
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: Car Dolly Question

Thanks for the input. My Seneca 34ss is also stock except for Koni's and front and rear tracking bars. Sounds like an equalizer will help. What do your trailer and race car weigh together? I think I am about 7,000 lbs trailer and Cruiser combined.

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 8706
Thank you for your input. I am still working through the question and will follow your suggestions.