Skip to main content
Topic: The problem with the RV industry (Read 746 times) previous topic - next topic

The problem with the RV industry

Yahoo Message Number: 144
This is the follow up I mentioned in the previous message replying to Denny.

It might be considered off topic since it is not directed specifically to Kodiak or a Kodiak based motorhome. However, when one sees the problems being encountered, they don't seem to differ much.

The exchange below started when a new owner of a high end Monaco motorhome encountered a lot of problems. They soon found out that a "lot of problems" is far from unusual. Many have traded almost new $400k motorhomes for new $400k motorhomes to escape the problems they encountered.

If you are going to read this (if you do you might never even look at a Monaco product) I'd suggest starting at the bottom and working up. I can provide equally damning examples for Winnebago. I've always wondered how I could be so stupid. When we decided to get a pusher, we eliminated Winnebago and Monaco (which includes Holiday Rambler) because we'd seen so many reports of lousy quality. Well, it was ironic that after looking at Tiffins, Newmars, Travel Supremes, Fleetwoods etc we settled on first a Winnebago Journey and got a lemon, then on a Holiday Rambler and had a lot of headaches (but we did get it debugged while we had it - which was NOT the case with the Journey for which the floor was fixed three times and the tiles were till popping up as an internal wall was shifting and Winnie really didn't want to have to gut the center of the motorhome to fix it properly). On the Winnie iRV2 forums a fellow by the name of John Canfield has described his ordeal over the past 2 years. I'm not too sure there is much left of his original Vectra/Horizon - but he always says he is very happy with it and recommends Winnie.

Note below that Chuck says he is happy he bought a Monaco. THAT FOLKS IS WHY WE HAVE PROBLEMS. 260 problems and 2 months at the factory and he is HAPPY. When we found our Winnie was a dog, we sure weren't going back to Winnie. If our Jayco turns out to be a dog (so far not too bad but some sloppy workmanship) then we would not go back to Jayco either.

Don

The first one below is the final note in the series (suggest starting at the bottom and working up)