Skip to main content
Topic: Additional battery tray (Read 603 times) previous topic - next topic

Additional battery tray

Yahoo Message Number: 10690
Does anyone have an idea of cost of an additional battery tray to install under the drivers seat compartment in c5500? I am interested in installing a tray and adding two more house batteries.

Re: Additional battery tray

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 10691
, "ianeisenberg2000"  wrote:
Does anyone have an idea of cost of an additional battery tray to install under the drivers seat compartment in c5500? I am interested in installing a tray and adding two more house batteries.

Not sure the standard passenger side tray will fit driver side. But here is one.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FRONT-DOOR-STEP-LH-RH-SLIDING-DUAL-BATTERY-TRAY-RUNNING-TOPKICK-KODIAK-/230636052334?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35b2fadf6e&vxp=mtr
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 10693
Thanks!

Anyone have any experience with 6 6 volt batteries. I imagine I wire them with combination of parallel and series?

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 10694
if you have the room for it (that many batteries will take a lot of room and weight) it's 2 sets of 3 in series, and then those two sets in parallel. I could draw it for you if you were close by.
basically
+ -+ -+ -
+ -+ -+ -
bear in mind that that's going to take a serious charging set to get right without oversulfidization of the plates, and resultant premature death of batteries.
Morrigan
who in real life repairs nuclear submarines electrical systems (which include really big batteries)

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 10695
Thanks that's he wiring I was thinking of. Is the standard battery charger not suficient?

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 10696
I wouldn't bet on it. That's a lot of amps you're contemplating. You better up copper the whole thing too, I'm thinking (not seeing the actual battery specs you're using, just going off the cuff) 000 wire or better, you start making that sort of amperage available 0 or 00 might be enough resistance to start generating heat. Heat is bad. You get a short with that rig, heat is REAL BAD, like weld wiring and start fires bad. You also want a real good crimp on the terminal lugs. I'm putting new 6 V in my rig soon and I'm going to crimp the lugs on to the 000 wire with a 12ton hydrolic crimper The goal is to reduce the resistance at the joint to as close to 0.00 ohms as possible. ( I should mention that I dry camp about 12 weekends a year, and 2 weeks during hunting season.)
Morrigan

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 10699
If you have a Progressive 9200 series converter/charger it has the "smart charge" built in.

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Ian Eisenberg
Sent: Monday, February 18, 2013 11:50 PM
To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: Additional battery tray

Thanks that's he wiring I was thinking of. Is the standard battery charger not suficient?

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 10700
You will find the info you need here: http://www.marxrv.com/12volt/12volt.htm

The problem with two 6V batteries occurs when one goes bad. You can't use a single 6V battery. If you have 2 x 12V and one goes bad you just take it out of the system and continue.

We've had 3 x 12V and 4 x 6V in two DP's. The 4 x 6V system was much better than the 3 x 12V. If one 6V fails then you disconnect a pair so you keep 12V.

Don