Skip to main content
Topic: 05 Endura Rear AC Dripping (Read 1036 times) previous topic - next topic

05 Endura Rear AC Dripping

Yahoo Message Number: 11274
We just completed a 2000+ mile trip to Arkansas, and back to Pennsylvania this last week. We made this same trip last year but since then we added Bilstein shocks, replaced the existing TV's with large flat screens, added a Winegard RT4000S automatic dish, and have subscribed to DISH TV. It sure made the trip more enjoyable, I can't believe replacing the shocks made such a drastic improvement in the overall ride and handling!

While the Kodiak chassis performed flawless, I had a problem with the rear AC unit dripping water onto the bed. I wonder if others are bothered by this and if there is something I can do to stop it. BTW I replaced the AC covers and inspected the AC units and I did not see anything out of the norm there. The front AC never drips so I am wondering if there is a secret I am not aware of...

Thanks

Steven Kerns
Kutztown, PA

Re: 05 Endura Rear AC Dripping

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 11275
My rear ac did the same thing last year. You will need to take the lower unit off, you will see a square metal brace with a bolt in each corner. Tighten these bolts up and it will take care of your dripping problem. When I took mine apart one of the bolts fell on the floor.

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Steven
Sent: Tuesday, June 25, 2013 12:54 PM
To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] 05 Endura Rear AC Dripping

We just completed a 2000+ mile trip to Arkansas, and back to Pennsylvania this last week. We made this same trip last year but since then we added Bilstein shocks, replaced the existing TV's with large flat screens, added a Winegard RT4000S automatic dish, and have subscribed to DISH TV. It sure made the trip more enjoyable, I can't believe replacing the shocks made such a drastic improvement in the overall ride and handling!

While the Kodiak chassis performed flawless, I had a problem with the rear AC unit dripping water onto the bed. I wonder if others are bothered by this and if there is something I can do to stop it. BTW I replaced the AC covers and inspected the AC units and I did not see anything out of the norm there. The front AC never drips so I am wondering if there is a secret I am not aware of...

Thanks

Steven Kerns
Kutztown, PA

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 11276
The AC installation manual calls for these bolts to be torqued to a certain spec. I can't remember what it is maybe 20 pounds but I too had to tighten mine. However one of the bolts actually sheered just trying to get it to the specified torque. Don't overdo it. Tightening these bolts sandwiches a gasket between the roof and the AC unit, but overtightening could distort the AC unit.

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 11277
Attachments :

Wondered if I could ask a stupid question- I just purchased an 07 Endura. I know that I can run front and rear air conditioner when I am plugged into 50 amp service. I assume that if I can connected to only a 30 amp I can only use one air conditioner at a time. If I run my generator is it OK to run both? If I am hooked up to power is it ok to run generator?

When traveling down the road, I assume I will have to run the generator to have air in the back of the coach. Any words of wisdom would be helpful. I am coming from a 5th wheel and never had duel air conditioners or generator to deal with.

Thanks so much,

Steve Phillips
    07 GulfStream Endura

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Steven
    Sent: Tuesday, June 25, 2013 12:54 PM
    Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] 05 Endura Rear AC Dripping

Thanks

Steven Kerns
    Kutztown, PA

Reply #4
    Yahoo Message Number: 11278
    There should be a little yellow tab on the gasket, you are supposed to tighten the bolts until the gasket touches the roof.

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of gsultra_lee
    Sent: Tuesday, June 25, 2013 1:15 PM
    Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: 05 Endura Rear AC Dripping

The AC installation manual calls for these bolts to be torqued to a certain spec. I can't remember what it is maybe 20 pounds but I too had to tighten mine. However one of the bolts actually sheered just trying to get it to the specified torque. Don't overdo it. Tightening these bolts sandwiches a gasket between the roof and the AC unit, but overtightening could distort the AC unit.

Reply #5
    Yahoo Message Number: 11279
    Don't be afraid to ask any questions on here. I'm usually surprised at just how simple the answer is.

What size is your generator? Typically you should be able to run both units off your generator. With the family in the back of the coach during hot months they typically have the generator running and try to stay cool with the AC units back there. You don't want to run your generator if you're plugged into shore power.

Reply #6
    Yahoo Message Number: 11280
    Only 1 will run on a 30 amp. With generator you can run both parked or on the road. No generator when plugged in..

Keith

Reply #7
    Yahoo Message Number: 11281
    My Endura has a 11k in rear and a 13.5 in the front. If they both do not start at the same time they will run very well on 30 amp. We make it a point to not use Microwave while running both.
    You can run generator while hooked to shore power. Generator will have priority over shore power. Problem arises when switching shore power to generator under load. There are numerous problems that can happen when switching with AC's running. Always shut down AC's and any other heavy loads before switching power sources.
    Best
    Ron Hall

Reply #8
    Yahoo Message Number: 11282
    My '07 Endura has an automatic transfer switch that should totally isolate the electrical system from shore power while the generator is running. Just like running a generator at your house you should always be isolated from the grid. Otherwise, your generator will back feed into the grid and in the event of a power outage it will actually attempt to serve your neighbors' load and can seriously overload your generator. Additionally, in a power outage it can cause a huge safety issue for power crews....

I have run both my units on 30 Amps but I run nothing else and even run the fans on low. You might even want to switch your fridge to gas.

Reply #9
    Yahoo Message Number: 11289
    OP has a Endura also. He would have a ATS. So why the comments about powering neighbor?
    It is safe to run your generator when hooked to horsepower. Generator will start and transfer power to itself. Even if hooked to shore power. As I stated before best to do it when not under load.
    Best
    Ron Hall

Reply #10
    Yahoo Message Number: 11292
    Why the comments? Not everyone understands the purpose of an ATS and the fact that it completely isolates your RV's electrical system from the shore power when the generator is running. His thought was that the generator would supplement the shore power.

Additionally, I work for a power company and generators without ATS's are a huge safety issue. Primarily home units, but I have know people who have hooked their RV gensets to their house during a power outage (bypassing the ATS). When this occurs, the back feed can actually step up through the power company transformer to 7200 to 14000 Volts and re-energize dead power lines if not properly isolated.

I apologize for extraneous remarks and will refrain in the future.