Skip to main content
Topic: How to watch dvd while moving. (Read 626 times) previous topic - next topic

How to watch dvd while moving.

Yahoo Message Number: 6401
Please do not laugh, the next time I take my RV out will be this summer, and it will be my second time. Last summer, I want to keep my grandkids occupied while on the road. I notice that, if the chassis engine is running, I cannot turn the TV and the DVD player. So, what is the secret, Thank you!!

Sincerely,
Alex Santos
El Paso, Texas
"Many of Life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up!"
--Thomas Edison.

Re: How to watch dvd while moving.

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 6402
You did not specify what type of unit you have. However in the Jayco I own there is an extra wire going to the AC socket that is above the cab. This socket is powered by AC from the inverter if you have one, and by the generator or AC pass through. So disconnecting power and even throwing the circuit breaker for the "inverter" is not enough to disable this socket. Coach battery power can operate this with AC. So if you work on it be aware that you have to 1) Unplug the AC Pass Through for the Inverter, 2) Shut the inverter off.

This "extra wire" is just a single strand, and it carries a voltage if the engine is running that controls a relay that disables the socket. It takes voltage on the wire to shut the socket off, so if you just cut the wire that will enable the socket. Of course the purpose is to prevent the driver from being distracted. But then keeping the grand-kids pacified might be better for the calm state of mind of the driver!

There is a single screw that holds the panel in, if you remove this screw you can look into the rats nest & slide the panel out. Proceed at your own risk. I have not done the mod myself, but there are others that have, and perhaps they can chime in with more experience.

Kevin (from memory)
Kevin (Real) McCoy [KF5FUZ / WQJE447]
("Roscoe Ventura" Jayco Seneca HD SS 34 Diesel 2006; "Toad" Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2007)

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 6403
Alex,

no laughing we all understand, I have my tricks with dogs during travel that no one would ever believe
anyway

on the 36ms, there are 3 outlets that are powered by the inverter (battery feed), the outlets are on the top of the cabin for the big tv, the microwave and in between the 2 door on the wordrobe in the bedroom where the second tv is. Basically the idea is to have tvs and microwave working if you do not have shore power or the generator running.

I do not know your unit, but it is worth sending a message to Jayco with your unit model # and they probably can tell you if you have any outlet powered this way.
If nothing else you can always by an inverter (portable, there are several out there) and plug on the dash 12v outlet and then pull a cord for the tv/dvd, or if you really need to have the tv on, you can always run the gernerator while driving, I know lot of people who do that, I have never done.

Hope this helps.
rgds
Mo

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 6408
Kevin,
This proves I am a novice RV'er. Anyway, my rig is a Jayco greyhawk! I will try, what you told me!

Thanks,
Alex

"Many of Life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up!"
--Thomas Edison.

To: KodiakChassisClassC
Sent: Tue, February 15, 2011 4:29:07 PM
Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] How to watch dvd while moving.

You did not specify what type of unit you have. However in the Jayco I own there is an extra wire going to the AC socket that is above the cab. This socket is powered by AC from the inverter if you have one, and by the generator or AC pass through. So disconnecting power and even throwing the circuit breaker for the "inverter" is not enough to disable this socket. Coach battery power can operate this with AC. So if you work on it be aware that you have to 1) Unplug the AC Pass Through for the Inverter, 2) Shut the inverter off.

This "extra wire" is just a single strand, and it carries a voltage if the engine is running that controls a relay that disables the socket. It takes voltage on the wire to shut the socket off, so if you just cut the wire that will enable the socket. Of course the purpose is to prevent the driver from being distracted. But then keeping the grand-kids pacified might be better for the calm state of mind of the driver!

There is a single screw that holds the panel in, if you remove this screw you can look into the rats nest & slide the panel out. Proceed at your own risk. I have not done the mod myself, but there are others that have, and perhaps they can chime in with more experience.

Kevin (from memory)
("Roscoe Ventura" Jayco Seneca HD SS 34 Diesel 2006; "Toad" Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2007)

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 6409
Mine was the same way. I had a guy disconnect the purple wire (I think) that disabled the outlet.

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Alex Santos
Sent: Tuesday, February 15, 2011 5:36 PM
To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com

Kevin,

This proves I am a novice RV'er. Anyway, my rig is a Jayco greyhawk! I will try, what you told me!

Thanks,
Alex

--Thomas Edison.

center
To: KodiakChassisClassC
Sent: Tue, February 15, 2011 4:29:07 PM

Kevin (from memory)

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 6410
Thanks Mo!

--Thomas Edison.

To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tue, February 15, 2011 4:53:40 PM

Alex,

no laughing we all understand, I have my tricks with dogs during travel that no one would ever believe
anyway

on the 36ms, there are 3 outlets that are powered by the inverter (battery feed), the outlets are on the top of the cabin for the big tv, the microwave and in between the 2 door on the wordrobe in the bedroom where the second tv is. Basically the idea is to have tvs and microwave working if you do not have shore power or the generator running.

I do not know your unit, but it is worth sending a message to Jayco with your unit model # and they probably can tell you if you have any outlet powered this way.
If nothing else you can always by an inverter (portable, there are several out there) and plug on the dash 12v outlet and then pull a cord for the tv/dvd, or if you really need to have the tv on, you can always run the gernerator while driving, I know lot of people who do that, I have never done.

Hope this helps.
rgds
Mo

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 6411
Anyone with a Gulf Stream Endura know if any of the outlets work while driving?

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 6415
Definitely the "Purple"..All you need to do is cut it. I put a switch in line in case I need to turn the outlet off.

Dave Sparke