Skip to main content
Topic: tow bar parts and installation cost. (Read 1282 times) previous topic - next topic

tow bar parts and installation cost.

Yahoo Message Number: 14896
I am wanting to have installed a tow bar and base plate on my 2015 Nissan Versa, I got a quote from camping world and it seemed way more than I planned, the quote was 4500. If you had yours done at a lower price , I would like to know where you had it installed.

Re: tow bar parts and installation cost.

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 14898
Hi Alice. That does seem high. I paid 2400 for a blue ox baseplate, independent wiring, and a blue ox alpha towbar on a 12 Chevy cruze. I did not buy a brake box. That was at Paul everts rv in fresno, CA. Good luck...

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 14899
Thank you for your response,  that helps in what I can compare it to.

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 14900
Parts approx costs: Baseplate is $400-450 range, towbar is $500-700, and wiring for your vehicle is $80 for low end splicing in up to $250 for vehicle specific plug and play. Installation labor is going to be 6-10 hours depending on your vehicle, how much disassembly is required for mounting the baseplate and running the wires. So $2500 is reasonable expectation for price. If you go with a vehicle mounted braking system, add additional for parts and installation labor for that.

I agree $4500 seems high, but if you have better specifics of what that covers, it would be easier to evaluate. I would try an independent RV repair place, or a RV supply that is not Camping World.

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 14901
thank you I am going to try to find somewhere else to give me a quote,

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 14903
Can a versa be flat towed without some sort of disconnect ?
This may be the reason for the higher costs ?
just guessing here :)
Bruce

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 14904
thanks Bruce, but the only requirement to tow the versa is to start it every 500 miles and let it run for a couple of minutes.

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 14907
Our cost with a brake buddy was $3300.00 and change complete. We had it installed at Weil Lombardos Trailer Sales in O'Fallon, Illinois. Very satisfied with estimate, work and follow up to the sale. They did what they said they would do in a timely, clean and efficient matter.

Smooth Sailing, Ric Golding Carlyle, Illinois

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 14909
This discussion seems strange UNLESS both the Versa and Cruze are MANUAL transmissions. I sure hope that is the case or neither of them should be towed if they are automatic. If the Versa is automatic then they might be adding a Remo Lube Pump (if they do one for the Versa - I have not checked) and that could bump the price to the $4500 range.

Don

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 14910
Hi Don,
Indeed the cruze is a manual. A great tow car as well... Thanks for the concern.
Chris

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 14911
GM sure cut off towing the automatics quickly as the transmissions burned out. Ford on the other hand dilly dallied for a couple of years with the Escape before saying NO flat towing for units sold after Feb 2012. We had an Escape - it towed well BUT we never knew if we were about to be added to the blown list.

GM sure annoyed a lot of owners who had paid a bundle for their tow package and then weren't able to tow. They had to make a lot of deals with owners to avoid major legal actions and the worst part was the different GM zones in North America treated people differently.

When we switched I decided I was going back to a transfer case with neutral. We got the Cherokee Limited and it tows superbly. We previously towed a Colorado and then a Tahoe. Both towed well with a transfer case.

We've heard of some Equinox units burning out transmissions when being flat towed but not enough to worry about.

Don

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 14912
Stop Don, you're scaring me! My Vue has been dragged 55,000 miles now four down with automatic and no issues that we know of yet. I'm hoping it continues that way. I've always hated the 4 cyl and 4-spd xmsn, but it's been trouble free and I want it to stay that way!

Don't you jinx me!

Take care,
Greg

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 14913
Greg, I've not heard of any problems with the Vue reported regarding towing. Of course it is now called Captiva and Ron tows one.

So, please don't worry.

Don

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 14916
To Original Poster. Finding someone to install a Ready Brute Elite tow bar/brake system is one of the best tow bars out there. I installed a Blue Ox base plate to attach it to.
http://www.hitchsource.com/nsaready-brute-tow-bars-c-149_232_243.html?gclid=CjwKEAjw8NaxBRDhiafR-uvkpywSJAAxcl6fzHbt6VVcGHZi6welZBJnOnF9BZq2h2phOLzBO5L8ChoC52fw_wcB

On the Captiva. Great toad. Liked it so much that we bought a 2015 for our second car. Not towing it at this time.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 14917
Check with Chevy, I think the Versa is one you just have to start and let the automatic lube every eight 8 hours or 500 miles.

On Saturday, October 31, 2015 7:58 PM, "Don Leslie grandriver125@... [SuperCrvgroup]"  wrote:

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 14921
Why, might I ask, would one check with GM for a NISSAN Versa? (see OP)

The auto lube can have some issues. What happens when you are sitting

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 14922
Please excuse my mistake on the car being made by Nissan, instead of GM. I quit keeping track of foreign cars and foreign cars relabeled by US manufacturers, when VW quit selling the Bugs, the first time, and Datsun became Nissan.

Who's the current manufacturer of Jeep? Chrysler owned by Fiat, purchased from Damler?

I thought a Versa was that tiny car Chevy is selling. Whatever.

On Sunday, November 1, 2015 7:19 PM, "Don Leslie grandriver125@... [SuperCrvgroup]"  wrote:

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 14923
There are so many manufacturers and so many models it is almost impossible to keep track of them unless one wastes a lot of time reading. I gave up on that years ago as well.

FCA (Fiat Chrysler Automobiles) builds the Jeep Cherokee