Skip to main content
Topic: 30 AMP vs 50 AMP (Read 838 times) previous topic - next topic

30 AMP vs 50 AMP

Yahoo Message Number: 1584
Hi, my name is Alex Santos from El Paso, TX and we're taking our first RV trip over in Silver City, NM, over the Labor day weekend. The campsite available is only a 30 AMP. I have a 2007 Jayco Greyhawk, and usually requires a 50 AMP hook up. What will be the only appliances I can safely run with a 30 AMP hook up? Can I also run my generator at the same time, so I can run, both AC and lights? Any INFO or advice will be greatly appreciated by this "Rookie!" Again, Thank you

"Many of Life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up!"
--Thomas Edison.

Re: 30 AMP vs 50 AMP

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 1585
I will make my attempt at an answer. Because I am thinking about this
also. I live in in Northern New Mexico and unfortunately our monsoon
has ended early and it is getting warm out. Though at least Silver
City should be about 10 degrees cooler than El Paso.

50 amp hookup on an RV basically works out to 2 separate 110V
circuits. The same as in a house except that an RV doesn't
normally use the 220V. You need a 50amp to 30amp converter cord.
This will run just one of the circuit to the RV. Usually the only
thing on the 2nd circuit is the 2nd air conditioner. You should not
be able to do anything unsafe when just connected to 30amps. If you
turn on too many appliances, then circuit breaker would trip.

Now, you can run the generator at the same time as being plugged if
you have an automatic transfer switch. It would switch automatically
from your 30 amp connection to you generator. You can't use both at
the same time since there is no synchronization to the utility grid.
Beside you would probably just end up supplying power to everybody
else. Without a transfer switch you would usually have to move a
power cord or there might be a manual transfer switch.

I have a Four Winds 34h, so somebody with a Jayco Greyhawk can
probably answer with more specifics for you.

David

Hi, my name is Alex Santos from El Paso, TX and�we're taking our
first RV trip over in Silver City, NM, over the Labor day weekend. The
campsite available is only a 30 AMP. I have a 2007 Jayco Greyhawk, and
usually requires a 50 AMP hook up. What will be�the only appliances I
can safely run with a 30 AMP�hook up? Can I also run my generator at
the same time, so I can run, both AC and lights? Any�INFO or advice
will be greatly appreciated by this "Rookie!" Again, Thank you

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 1586
You really only need 50 amp when you want to run 2 air conditioners. I
would think Silver City would be high enough that you can get by with
one. You will need an adapter to take your 50 amp cable down to 30
amp. I don't know if you can run the genny while plugged in, so I
can't help you there.

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 1587
You shouldn't run the generator on the Greyhawk while plugged into park
electrical service. You'll be fine on 30 amps as long as you don't run
both A/C units.

Take care,
Greg

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 1588
Thanks, Greg

"Many of Life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up!"
--Thomas Edison.

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 1589
THanks, Alex

--Thomas Edison.

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 1591
We just had some power fun this past weekend. We were at a road racing course north of Detroit. Last year we had no problem with power. It was 30 amp but voltage was fine. We have a 50 amp surge protector that we always connect - even when using 30 amp power.

What we were not aware of was that the power supply this year has not been good. Soon after setting up at the track last Friday we decided to turn on the front A/C in our 32SS as it was getting darn hot. Well, a few minutes after it started running the surge protector tripped and we lost power. The TRC 50 has a voltage range and if the supply is outside the range it cuts off the power to the MH. It came back on but in short order went off again as the voltage dropped below 102.

Eventually I realized it was hopeless and disconnected from the power supply completely. Good thing I have the surge protector or we could have done some damage. We were told Saturday that the voltage was regularly dropping to 80.

We ended up putting a few hours on our generator on Saturday and Sunday - I'd sure hate to try to sleep with the gennie and the A/C running. The other thing we did that, believe it or not, we have not done before in the 32SS was run the fridge on propane. In fact, we have not run a fridge on propane since our first MH in 2003. It takes a while to get the fridge conditioned but once the temperature of the fridge and the freezer are down to low temperatures they seem to stay there very easily.

It appears we will be going to a race at Mid-Ohio on the 5th to 7th and it will be completely dry camping this time - no water as well. So, we will certainly get our gennie exercised.

Don

ps. No fun going through the detours resulting from the construction and closing of I-75 at the Bridge.

On 22-Aug-08, at 12:52 PM, Alex Santos wrote:

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 1594
Don at the risk of sounding like an idiot I`ve never heard of an rv surge protector, can you tell me more about yours, like what is it and where did you get it?Thanks

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 1595
You can get them at Camping world, I have a 50 amp one, is about $ 350 but is worth it if saves you once just paid for itself.

Brad McKenna wrote:

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 1601
Brad, I wouldn't travel without a surge protector now.

Back in 2004 I was thinking of getting one. Then one day we were at an Itasca dealer having a towing system installed on our Journey. I saw a late model Class A Itasca on the lot and asked one of the owners if it was for sale of in for service. He said the owner didn't use a surge protector and lightening knocked out all the electronics and the cost to replace would be about $18,000 (central AC, fridge, 2 TV's, microwave, radio and sound system, etc. etc). Needless to say I accelerated my "thinking" and bought one a few weeks later.

In the fall of 2004 we took the Journey to Florida for the winter (rented a lot). The day we connected the surge protector kept jumping off. The owner of the lot was really PO'd after his multi-meter showed over 130V on each leg. An retired electrician behind our lot came over and confirmed the problem. We called FPL and the fellow sent out was very unhappy. Told our lot owner we should take that "thing" off and we'd have no problems. The lot owner asked him if FPL would pay the costs of replacing the electrics. The FPL tech then said if the problem was after the meter it was our problem. Well, the problem was before the meter and an entire section of the park was getting 265 volts. The surge protector shuts off the power supply when the voltage is outside the range of 102 to 130 (I think it is - haven't looked for a while). Sure paid off.

A year later we are on our own lot in the park (bought one - now have two - one with a park model on it) an it is now in our Ambassador and it starts shutting off again. Once more power is up over 260V. FPL sends a tech out and he finds that not only the entire park is high but also a large area around the park. They then proceeded to rebalance the entire area (I was able to listen in to all the tech talk between the area office and the tech). They thanked me for letting them know. Several people lost modems, tv's etc but just try and prove it was the power company - darn hard.

So, it is a very worthwhile investment as we were reminded again this past weekend.

Don

ps. You will find a lot of debate on the various forums about which is the best. I think the important thing is to have one and avoid a disaster.