Skip to main content
Topic: Fog-driving lights (Read 1010 times) previous topic - next topic

Fog-driving lights

Yahoo Message Number: 2736
Was wondering where group members have installed driving and/or fog lights on the Kodiak 5500. Does opening the hood contact the lights if they are put on the top of the bumper? Can they be installed in the openings for the tow hooks without blocking airflow or would it be better to put them under bumper?

Thanks,

Tony

Re: Fog-driving lights

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 4940
I'm thinking of adding additional lights in the space in the front bumper. In the rv.net thread, he says that he installed, "boat lights". Are these boat deck flood lights? If so, is that going to be blinding to oncoming drivers or is it another type of boat light?

-Tom

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 4941
I've looked at possibly doing this same thing with my Seneca but I have had a lot of people swear by HID lights using a conversion kit and be very happy with the light output. Keep this on mind if generating more light is your main reason for changes.

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 4942

You want to get real driving lights with a Sharp cut-off so not to blind oncoming traffic.

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 4943
Attachments :

Tom,

I mounted a set of Hella fog lights under the bumper. Been thinking about driving lights but I am not sure where to mount them. I did change out the stock headlight for Silerstars. They were a good improvement.

Rob
    Fourwinds 8.1 L

Re: Fog-driving lights [1 Attachment]

Reply #6
    Yahoo Message Number: 4945
    Rob,
    How does the Hellas work for you? I have considered the same set up.

Reply #7
    Yahoo Message Number: 4946
    I think I'll try the Silverstars also. I checked the Kodiak user manual, but it doesn't indicate what's bulb #. Do you recall?

-Tom

Reply #8
    Yahoo Message Number: 4947

I like the amber contrast, particularly on wet pavement, very dark twisty mountain roads, and of course fog.

Reply #9
    Yahoo Message Number: 4948
    I know one pari is the Sylvania SilverStar H4651 (because I still have the box). Trouble is I am not sure if that is the low or high beam part number. Installation is a snap.

Reply #10
    Yahoo Message Number: 4959
    Hi Beam - H4651
    HI-Lo Beam - H4656
    SilverStar product line .
    I notice that page above list a H4666ST. More wattage on both low and high beam. I wonder if they will fit our C5500's?
    Best
    Ron Hall

Reply #12
    Yahoo Message Number: 4961
    Cool!!! Thanks Ron and gang!

I'm planning a two week trip from SoCal to Yellowstone, then back to Zion, so I want to make sure everything is up-to-snuff before my longest trip ever (distance and time).

-Tom