Skip to main content
Topic: Converter Problem Jayco Seneca 35GS (Read 504 times) previous topic - next topic

Converter Problem Jayco Seneca 35GS

Yahoo Message Number: 9590
Just returned from a short 3 day camping stay at a local RV park w/hook-ups. On day 2 noticed 12V power was low. Since I had my battery charger with me I charged my (2) 12V coach batteries. They are AGM batteries. Charged back to 12.74 volts. When I got home I connected coach to 120V power and again checked the voltage at batteries, still 12.74V. I was told if converter was operational I should read 13.6 to 13.8V at the batteries, when connected to pedestal power. Questions....
#1 Where is converter located on Seneca 35GS?
#2 Does stock converter have a reset button or breaker, if so where is it located?
#3 What should my battery voltage be at battery with operational converter?
Appreciate your help..............russ

Re: Converter Problem Jayco Seneca 35GS

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 9591
Russ
You have the number right. With those numbers your converter is no working. Not sure where yours is at. But mine is located behind the Circuit Breaker box. Most have fuses that will blow if reverse polarity or short is applied to DC lines. When you find the converter, it would be the first place to check.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 9592
Russ
You have the number right. With those numbers your converter is no working. Not sure where yours is at. But mine is located behind the Circuit Breaker box. Most have fuses that will blow if reverse polarity or short is applied to DC lines. When you find the converter, it would be the first place to check.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 9594
Russ -

My placement is similar to Ron. Opposite the Bed by the Electrical Panel. In my case it is next to the vent door, and best access is by removing a clothing drawer beneath the closest. There you will find

Intelipower PD9180
with Charge wizard (9105)

Voltage:
You are correct. That charge wizard will cycle through Boost (14.4) Normal (13.6) and Storage (13.2) Volts when you are using the system. The charge wizard has an indicator that will show what mode it is in, and you can change the mode manually. It is plugged into the Intelipower.

Details http://www.progressivedyn.com/prod_details/charge_wizard_9105.html

The 9105 now covers AGM and Lead-Acid, but not sure that was always the case. From memory (very suspect) they used to have a special wizard for AGM, but now the 9105 pdf has been altered to cover both.

Check to see if you charge wizard is there. If so you should be seeing (under external or genset power) at least 13.2 as reflected on your generator monitor panel when it is set to monitor the AGM batteries.

Circuit Breaker: In your year the converter voltage goes through the circuit breaker panel switch "H". Make sure both sides of your power are being fed, and then cycle that breaker might be diagnostic step number 1.

Kevin

Kevin (Real) McCoy [KF5FUZ / WQJE447]
("Roscoe Ventura" Jayco Seneca HD SS 34 Diesel 2006; "Toad" Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2007)

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 9595
Russ,

Don't remember what year your MH is, but our 08 came with the 9200 series converter and it already has the built in "Inteli charge". It adjusts for what type battery (AGM/lead acid) and also changes charge values automatically. You don't need the add on if you have the 9200. Also ours is next to the water heater under the last bottom drawer.

Dave

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of RussH
Sent: Friday, August 03, 2012 1:55 AM
To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Converter Problem Jayco Seneca 35GS

Just returned from a short 3 day camping stay at a local RV park w/hook-ups. On day 2 noticed 12V power was low. Since I had my battery charger with me I charged my (2) 12V coach batteries. They are AGM batteries. Charged back to 12.74 volts. When I got home I connected coach to 120V power and again checked the voltage at batteries, still 12.74V. I was told if converter was operational I should read 13.6 to 13.8V at the batteries, when connected to pedestal power. Questions....
#2 Does stock converter have a reset button or breaker, if so where is it located?

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 9596

Be sure that the C/B is set. It can appear to be but not. Open the breaker and reset it. The 9200 converter is very reliable. I think there are three external fuses on the converter.
Denny

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 9597
Mine trips at times Russ and bet that is the problem

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 9599
, "RussH"  wrote:

Problem now fixed..Located converter underneath the large drawer next to inverter. Jayco installed a Progressive Dynamics 9180 w/Charge Wizard. This is a 80amp converter. Quite surprised that Jayco put in a high quality unit. Went thru the test procedure as published by Progressive. Removed fuses, checked OK, removed 12V positive cable to battery and tested with my Fluke digital voltmeter, functioned all breakers in 120 V panel (probably the problem a tripped breaker) and reassembled. Set Charge Wizard to 14.2 volts and everything checked out OK. Got 14.2V at the battery posts. Thanks for all your help..russ

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 9600
The 9280 will draw 1300 watts at full load. That's probably 11 amps. More if voltage is below 120. I found that my converter circuit breaker had other items on it. When I needed full output and used the other item circuit breaker would trip. Added a double 15amp circuit breaker where the 15 amp single was. Now the converter is on it's own circuit breaker. No more unexpected trip of the circuit breaker.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 9601
Ron........The converter stopped working after the RV shop installed the new entertainment center. They had the MH plugged into shore power during the process. It was at this time they tripped the circuit breaker to the converter........russ

To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Saturday, August 4, 2012 5:10 AM
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: Converter Problem Jayco Seneca 35GS

The 9280 will draw 1300 watts at full load. That's probably 11 amps. More if voltage is below 120. I found that my converter circuit breaker had other items on it. When I needed full output and used the other item circuit breaker would trip. Added a double 15amp circuit breaker where the 15 amp single was. Now the converter is on it's own circuit breaker. No more unexpected trip of the circuit breaker.
Best
Ron Hall