Skip to main content
Topic: Lost power driving down the road (Read 1852 times) previous topic - next topic

Lost power driving down the road

Yahoo Message Number: 5734
Hey folks,
I was wondering if any one else has had the problem of driving down the road and all of the sudden the motor just starts losing power. It starts slowing down and if you push on the gas it won't go. We called the dealership and they said to look at the air filter. We did and that is not the problem. Help! We are on our way to south Texas and we are currently having this problem.
Thanks

Re: Lost power driving down the road

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 5735

Check the oil level.... if it is too low or you are on a hill usually driving uphill, as a safety measure the engine will quit.... it will allow you to restart the engine to get off the highway.... good luck.

Denny

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 5736
Need a bit more info. Is this a gas or diesel powered rig? Is the problem intermittent or have you lost power and it has not come back?

To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wed, November 3, 2010 12:33:17 PM
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Lost power driving down the road

Hey folks,
I was wondering if any one else has had the problem of driving down the road and all of the sudden the motor just starts losing power. It starts slowing down and if you push on the gas it won't go. We called the dealership and they said to look at the air filter. We did and that is not the problem. Help! We are on our way to south Texas and we are currently having this problem.
Thanks

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 5737
It is a diesel and if you pull off the road and turn off the key it starts up and goes a bit further. Then it does it again.

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 5738

Yeh.... mine is too.... pretty sure if you add a quart or two of oil it will start right up and keep running... same thing happened to me on I-29 south of Omaha, Nebr. Climbing a slight hill near an exit when it stalled. Got to the exit and into a Pilot Fuel stop... checked the manual, added some oil, and kept going.

Denny

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 5739
fuel filter, if you do not have a filter you can limp it to a store and buy on, easy to replace just see manual.

Sent: Wed, November 3, 2010 10:57:33 AM
Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] Lost power driving down the road

It is a diesel and if you pull off the road and turn off the key it starts up and goes a bit further. Then it does it again.

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 5740

Poor guy.... all these are valid causes for the engine shutdown. I am still placing my bet on low oil...

Denny

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 5741
Any problems after you added the oil? We are headed to teralingua for the chili cookoff and there is nothing down there the last 150 miles. We have called dealerships and they won't work on motorhomes. Thanks for your help!

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 5742

None... drove 7 hours home to Branson, MO.... check the engine manual... it explains the feature, and as I recall, there is no "reset" after adding the oil.

Denny

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 5744
I had the same thing happen to me if the oil doesn't fix it, then it is likely the fuel filter. as long as the water in fuel light doesn't come on you should be able to limp it to the next parts store, they all carry the filter. Changing it is easy and there is a step by step in the manual. If not there should be at least one mechanic at the chili cookoff. Good luck

To: "KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com"
Sent: Wed, November 3, 2010 11:17:04 AM

Any problems after you added the oil? We are headed to teralingua for the chili cookoff and there is nothing down there the last 150 miles. We have called dealerships and they won't work on motorhomes. Thanks for your help!

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 5746
I had this problem. It was a clogged fuel filter. Engine would idle OK. Wouldn't rev up under load. Owner's manual explains how to change it.

AC part # TP298B

GM part # 89060534

Charles

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 5748
You could also buy the fuel filter and install it as well... As well as add some oil....

Denny

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 5749
Attachments :

We had the exact same problem, only we were headed up a Colorado mountain when it happened! Yup, it was the fuel filter. Now we carry 4 extras just in case. We were able to change it on the side of the road without a tow, etc.

Chris Rogers

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Lynn Jones
    Sent: Wednesday, November 03, 2010 12:00 PM

I had this problem. It was a clogged fuel filter. Engine would idle OK. Wouldn't rev up under load. Owner's manual explains how to change it.

AC part # TP298B

GM part # 89060534

Charles

Reply #15
    Yahoo Message Number: 5751
    That'd be my guess. Always a good idea to have one or two on hand.

Sent: Wed, November 3, 2010 1:08:11 PM

fuel filter, if you do not have a filter you can limp it to a store and buy on, easy to replace just see manual.

Sent: Wed, November 3, 2010 10:57:33 AM

Reply #16
    Yahoo Message Number: 5752
    Added oil, still having the same problem. Now we are trying the fuel filter, thanks for all the feedback! We really appreciate it!!!

Reply #17
    Yahoo Message Number: 5753
    Just another support of the fuel filter problem.
    We were only a few blocks from home when it happened to us.
    Your vehicle is in "Limp mode".

-

Reply #18
    Yahoo Message Number: 5754
    If you need more help, do a search of the Kodiak group site.
    There were some posts on changing the filter, awhile back.

Reply #19
    Yahoo Message Number: 5755
    Fuel filter would be my first guess. Slow loss of power is a good indication of this type of failure with a diesel engine.
    Best
    Ron Hall

Reply #21
    Yahoo Message Number: 5770
    , "colekrista"  wrote:
    Hey folks,
    Thanks

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/KodiakChassisClassC/message/4913

fuel filter.

don

lost power

Reply #22
    Yahoo Message Number: 5756
    Did you refuel just before this started? Mine problem was from bad diesel. Needed to change the fuel filter.
    --

www. SoBeItFarm.com

Until you have learned to be tolerant with those who do not always agree with you; until you have cultivated the habit of saying some kind word of those whom you do not admire; until you have formed the habit of looking for the good instead of the bad there is in others, you will be neither successful nor happy.    
    ~ Napoleon Hill ~

Lost

Reply #23
    Yahoo Message Number: 5757
    Reading with interest re lost power and fuel filters. How often do you change your filters?? We winter in Texas and every year when the unit is at Bert Ogden for maintenance I have them change the fuel filter as well or are there a lot of places out there with bad fuel? ? ? ?

As always travel safe and enjoy

Re: Lost

Reply #24
    Yahoo Message Number: 5758
    I have yet to get any bad fuel for a diesel. There is always that possibility. I carry a spare fuel filter just in case. I change filter every 7 to 10,000 miles.
    In the other thread (Lost power driving down the road) Brad provided a link to pictures on how to change a fuel filter.
    Best
    Ron Hall