Skip to main content
Topic: Help Jayco 35GS electrical (Read 1834 times) previous topic - next topic

Help Jayco 35GS electrical

Yahoo Message Number: 6041
Merry Christmas to all:

Woke this morning with half of our electrical gone. No furnace, generator, lights, fridge & slideouts. We have microwave and it seems all the plugs work. The power is also of in the cab for the radio.

Have checked and all breakers and fuses look OK. Have flipped the main breaker but still no luck.

Any ideas.

Again Merry Christmas

John

Re: Help Jayco 35GS electrical

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 6042
John,

I do not know much about it, however, some friend told me that if we have a 50amp service, that means it comes in the MH 50amp and then splits in 25amp, I have no idea how that works, but it may be the reason you have some and not all.
I would re-set everything starting from the post/connection outside.
Hope someone can offer more help.
sorry
Mo

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 6043
Thanks Mo:

Unplugged and started again. No luck.

Thanks for the suggestion.

John

To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sat, December 25, 2010 7:22:36 AM
Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] Help Jayco 35GS electrical

John,

I do not know much about it, however, some friend told me that if we have a 50amp service, that means it comes in the MH 50amp and then splits in 25amp, I have no idea how that works, but it may be the reason you have some and not all.
I would re-set everything starting from the post/connection outside.
Hope someone can offer more help.
sorry
Mo

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 6044
John, if you are on 50 AMPS then your plug is actually bringing two 120V circuits into your coach. You seem to have current on only one leg of your coach. My guess is that your plug is not making good contact in the park's outlet. I would pull the plug, look for burn (electrical arcing) marks on one of the prongs. If you find it, try bending that contact out and plug in again.

George

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 6045
John, If your park utility outlet has a 30 AMP outlet (3-prong) also, you might try plugging your coach into that with your 30/50 converter plug. The 30 AMP plug ties both of your 50 AMP lines together and will at least let you know whether the problem is your coach or the park.

George

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 6046
Yes we are on 50 amp. We have tried connecting the fridge directly but it still does not work. We have power to some but not all. No fridge, furnace, sliders, or radio in cab. We feel it is something in the coach.

Thanks for all the suggestions but any more ideas.

John

Sent: Sat, December 25, 2010 7:37:37 AM

John, if you are on 50 AMPS then your plug is actually bringing two 120V circuits into your coach. You seem to have current on only one leg of your coach. My guess is that your plug is not making good contact in the park's outlet. I would pull the plug, look for burn (electrical arcing) marks on one of the prongs. If you find it, try bending that contact out and plug in again.

George

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 6047
The converter. There is a breaker for the converter and there are fuses in the converter. Good luck...

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 6048

Did you check the breakers on the generator? I've had one trip and lost partial power, even on shore power, must be routed through a common point w/gen.

Roger

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 6050
John, there is no doubt that this "electrical stuff" gets tricky, especially for people like me who have 5 thumbs on each hand.

I have a TRC 50 Amp Surge Protector and it will show if only one or two legs are coming through from the pedestal. If you have a Surge Protector you might want to check it.

If it shows both legs are getting through to the MH, then you will know the problem is in the motorhome. It sure sounds like one leg is not working. Perhaps the electrical gurus can tell us if the problem could be in the transfer switch??

Hope you find the problem soon.

Don

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 6051
If you plugged the refrigerator into an outside park outlet and it still doesn't work, then I think Billy may have the right idea -- that your problem is actually the convertor. You have no 12V (the fridge needs 12v to run the electronics & propane valve). As I recall, everything you listed as not working needs 12V.

If you have a battery monitor system, check to see if your batteries have anything left in them - I doubt it.

Geo

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 6052
Thanks everyone

We firmly believe it is in the coach. We have tried other 50 amp cords but still no luck. We are checking for the fuses in the converter and generator. Looking at the manuals but don't tell us much. Would be easier if it were not Christmas at least we could call someone.

John

Sent: Sat, December 25, 2010 8:35:15 AM

John, there is no doubt that this "electrical stuff" gets tricky, especially for people like me who have 5 thumbs on each hand.

I have a TRC 50 Amp Surge Protector and it will show if only one or two legs are coming through from the pedestal. If you have a Surge Protector you might want to check it.

If it shows both legs are getting through to the MH, then you will know the problem is in the motorhome. It sure sounds like one leg is not working. Perhaps the electrical gurus can tell us if the problem could be in the transfer switch??

Don

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 6053
Have you tried running on your generator? If that does not get things working shut off generator. Turn off circuit breakers inside MH and at park post. Turn park post back on. Then turn on power inside.
All the items you mention as not working need 12 volt DC to operate.
You make have a circuit breaker that is popped that feeds 12 volt to those items. My Gulf Stream has those large circuit breakers mounter near hydraulic pump. Not sure where Jaycos are.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 6054
We have no power to the command center so cannot check re batteries etc. We cannot even turn on the generator, no power.

John

Sent: Sat, December 25, 2010 8:42:40 AM

If you plugged the refrigerator into an outside park outlet and it still doesn't work, then I think Billy may have the right idea -- that your problem is actually the convertor. You have no 12V (the fridge needs 12v to run the electronics & propane valve). As I recall, everything you listed as not working needs 12V.

If you have a battery monitor system, check to see if your batteries have anything left in them - I doubt it.

Geo

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 6055
We have started the generator from outside. Still no fridge or power for hw tank or furnace etc. Checked all the fuses on the converter they look OK

Sent: Sat, December 25, 2010 8:42:40 AM

Geo

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 6056
RH had better jump in here if I'm offbase here.

If 50 amps are coming in via the shore power and generator, only one side is getting through. My recollection from several years ago when I had problems, the power supply to the 12V system has to go through the converter to be converted to 12V from 120V (opposite of the inverter that takes the 12V and makes it 120V). So I'd tend to think that the problem could well be in the converter. The charger (for the house batteries) and converter are combined as I recall. It sure sounds to me like that is where the problem is located. Are the batteries charging when on shore power and generator?

Good luck.

Don

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 6057
John,

It seems like there are two problems that are probably related.

My guess is that problem 1 is that you lost leg 2 of your power somehow. Loosing that leg affects one of your air conditioners and the fridge.

That leg also has your converter on it, and your batteries have drained. That is why your lights are not working. It is also why your cab radio does not work (in Jayco some cab features are connected to the coach.) The coach batteries also start your generator...

So Prime suspect is one leg of your AC power service.  Specifically Leg 2.

Step one in the diagnosis is to look at the power from both legs. Your surge protector, or other meter can do this job. Check the pedistal for any marks of burns or drive off's. Many of us have seen folks crack the 50 amp socket. A drive off break leaves a typical mark on the pedestal. If there is another pedestal close by then you might try that, but first make sure that breakers on the pedestal are on for both haves of the 50 Amp service. Also you can try splitting a known good 30 amp service with an adapter if you have it on the same circuit.

Step 1 A) Inspect your Power Cable, with the power cable disconnected from the coach and pedistal, check the continuity of each of each circuit. If there is no connection, then you need a new power cable.

Step 2 - go to the circuit breaker panel and focus your efforts on "Leg 2". Make sure that the "Main 2" Circuit breaker is on.  Do not do this visually, but cycle it off and then on. Then test to see if you have power back.

If all that fails, start your engine, and then use it to start the generator. If that works and powers both legs, then you need a new pedestal for power.

Hope that helps.

Kevin

P.S. Sorry that is how you woke up to Xmas day...

Kevin (Real) McCoy [KF5FUZ / WQJE447]
("Roscoe Ventura" Jayco Seneca HD SS 34 Diesel 2006; "Toad" Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2007)

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 6058
OK. At that point it looks like it is time to move to the DC panel located directly above the circuit breakers. Check the fuses, and if I recall the panel has some LEDs to help.

But first is there any chance someone hit the battery disconnect switch by accident? Assuming that the generator would not have power in that case. But just to be sure....

If you could start the generator then that is powered from the coach batteries, and there must have been enough juice in them.

I would look through the fuses and see if one of them is blown.

Kevin

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 6059
When we started the generator from outside we have full battery power, but nothing else. We have used another 50 amp plug so feel it is not the plug or the power post. My surgeguard is showing both OK.

Cc: John Meredith
Sent: Sat, December 25, 2010 8:58:40 AM

John,

It seems like there are two problems that are probably related.

My guess is that problem 1 is that you lost leg 2 of your power somehow. Loosing that leg affects one of your air conditioners and the fridge.

That leg also has your converter on it, and your batteries have drained. That is why your lights are not working. It is also why your cab radio does not work (in Jayco some cab features are connected to the coach.) The coach batteries also start your generator...

So Prime suspect is one leg of your AC power service. Specifically Leg 2.

Step one in the diagnosis is to look at the power from both legs. Your surge protector, or other meter can do this job. Check the pedistal for any marks of burns or drive off's. Many of us have seen folks crack the 50 amp socket. A drive off break leaves a typical mark on the pedestal. If there is another pedestal close by then you might try that, but first make sure that breakers on the pedestal are on for both haves of the 50 Amp service. Also you can try splitting a known good 30 amp service with an adapter if you have it on the same circuit.

Step 1 A) Inspect your Power Cable, with the power cable disconnected from the coach and pedistal, check the continuity of each of each circuit. If there is no connection, then you need a new power cable.

Step 2 - go to the circuit breaker panel and focus your efforts on "Leg 2". Make sure that the "Main 2" Circuit breaker is on. Do not do this visually, but cycle it off and then on. Then test to see if you have power back.

If all that fails, start your engine, and then use it to start the generator. If that works and powers both legs, then you need a new pedestal for power.

Hope that helps.

Kevin

P.S. Sorry that is how you woke up to Xmas day...

Kevin (Real) McCoy [KF5FUZ / WQJE447]
("Roscoe Ventura" Jayco Seneca HD SS 34 Diesel 2006; "Toad" Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2007)

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 6060
We have a guy here with a tester. It seems there is no power getting to the fuse box? ? ? ? ? Any suggestions

Sent: Sat, December 25, 2010 9:11:34 AM

OK. At that point it looks like it is time to move to the DC panel located directly above the circuit breakers. Check the fuses, and if I recall the panel has some LEDs to help.

But first is there any chance someone hit the battery disconnect switch by accident? Assuming that the generator would not have power in that case. But just to be sure....

If you could start the generator then that is powered from the coach batteries, and there must have been enough juice in them.

Kevin

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 6061
It seems that it is the "Transfer switch" which is a box located behind the fuses under the drawers in the bedroom. It seems the power is coming in but not gettting out. Does anyone know about this???

Kevin

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 6062
Does anyone know where the delay control modual bypass switch is in the 35GS? Please

Kevin

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 6063
OK everyone we are back in business.

It seems there was a loose clip on the board of the converter a clip for the fuses. It has now been fixed. Found by using a voltage tester.

Thank you everyone for your participation in this matter and a very Merry Christmas. We can now have our breakfast and get ready for a Christmas dinner.

Hope to see some of your at the rally.

Again a heartfelt thank you to you all.

John

Kevin

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 6064
Since everything is the same with all power soureces. I would agree that problem is inside coach. First place I would look is connections on main circuit breakers. You will need to remove circurit breaker box from it's mounting to access wiring. Use care if removing box. If a wire is loose it may come out and sort out on something. Best To remove 50 amp service to MH before doing this check.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 6065
That was a wasted post. Should have read all the post before posting my reply.
Glad you got it fixed John.
Merry Christmas all.
best
Ron Hall

Reply #25
Yahoo Message Number: 6066
not without being there with a meter.
Sorry, I can't troubleshoot long distance, on a system I don't have a schematic for.
Morrigan

Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2010 11:35:15 -0500

Don

Reply #26
Yahoo Message Number: 6067

John

If you have a volt/ohm meter, you might check the input and output side on your AC/DC converter. My father-in-laws went out over Thanksgiving. We had similar situation. The furnace would not come on, because the ignitor is electric. It also ran down his batteries because they were not being charged. It was only putting out 9.5 vdc instead of 13.5. We had to jump the engine from a spare battery and then let the engine alternator charge up the coach batteries. It held us for 1 more night until he could order a new unit on-line.

Even though the unit was on shore power, most electrical runs off the DC side and is charged by the generator or converter.

Bob

Reply #27
Yahoo Message Number: 6068

Like Ron, I should have read to the end of the posts. Glad it was an easy fix once you had a meter to tell you where to look.

Bob