Skip to main content
Topic: Flat towing a 2006 Honda Pilot and load capacity of the Kodiak...... (Read 985 times) previous topic - next topic

Flat towing a 2006 Honda Pilot and load capacity of the Kodiak......

Yahoo Message Number: 6928
Has anyone tried flat towing a 2006 Honda Pilot? Also, how is the Kodiak as to it's towing of any vehicle? Does it have enough power? How is it's load capacity? Does it take very much tooverload it?

Re: Flat towing a 2006 Honda Pilot and load capacity of the Kodiak..

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 6929
Clyde,
I have a 2007 GS35 Seneca and i tow a Chev. Trailblazer that weights approx. 4500 lbs. I tow four down and have made extensive trips out west to Yellowstone and Glacier National Parks. I average 10mpg driving at 62/63mph. The Seneca rarely downshifts in the mountains---the Duramax has a lot of torque and can tow a 4500lb. tow without a problem. It is my understanding that you can tow up 5000lbs. with the Seneca. However--that all depends on the weight loading in your Rv. Good luck.
Bill W

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 6930

Depends on what model and motor. My max GVWR Kodiak diesel tows a 24' trailer loaded to about 6k#s no problem. It does not even know if my Geo Tracker is connected.

~
Victor Burns | KI6IM
2008 Dutchmen 34H

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 6932
Clyde, I towed a 2007 Tahoe LTZ behind my 2007 Kodiak Gasser. No problems. With a diesel it would be even easier.

Now a question for you. Have you checked to determine if the 2006 Pilot is towable according to Honda?

I just did and as I suspected it is not. It was up to 2005 but in 2006 they withdrew the Pilot and Element approvals leaving only the CRV as approved for towing. Since then they have added the Honda Fit.

Don

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 6933
I tow a suburban and do not have any problems. The largest hills I have been on are I80 in Pa. I have that duramax diesel.

CLYDE cmlintx@...> wrote:

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 6934
Keep In mind the GCWR.(gross combined weight ratio). If you exceed that ratio and have an accident (God forbid) you may be up for sizable lawsuit. I believe that our Senecas are rated at 26000 lbs GCWR. Depending how much stuff you pack into the motorhome will affect the final weight combined. Most of us have tendency to overload therefore not thinking about gross weight. There is no doubt that the Dmax can pull a great deal weight but its the stopping of that weight that needs to be considered. In my opinion any additional weight over the rated gcwr will compromise an emergency stop situation. My suggestion would be to road load your RV, hook up the toad and go weigh the combination. Weigh with full fuel, water and propane plus clothes, groceries and stuff that make you comfortable and perceived needs. You may be surprised as to how heavy the combination is. As for the toad check the door sticker to see what the gross weight is. Don't overload the toad. I generally only tow mine with a 1/4 tank of fuel.
There are lots of things that can be adjusted to keep within the GCWR. Unless you know that you will be boon docking a 1/3 tank of water is all that you will need. I'm guilty of loading in stuff that I just know that will need but not really. Ask yourself, "Do I really need that item?"
Remember the GCWR is for a very good reason.
Denny

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 6935
Denny, that is why we bought the gas version instead of the diesel. I was and still am of the view that the Seneca with a GVWR (the R is rating not ratio btw) of 22,000 lbs and a GCWR of 26,000 lbs meant that the 4000 lb gap would be inadequate if one carried a lot of "stuff". At that time we did fill it with all kinds of "stuff."

When we had the rally at Elkhart last summer the Jayco rep when we had the factory session confirmed that as to weight the Seneca was max'd out.

The new Seneca will have a huge towing capacity in comparison.

Don

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 6936
Don:
The GVWR of GS is 22000 as well. I don't understand gas over diesel would be a difference.
I enjoy better power and milage at a lower RPM with the diesel. Granted the cost initially is higher but over time repays you. Now with higher fuel prices gas may have slight advantage but not that much in the long run in my opinion.
Denny

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 6937
Don:
As to the comment from the Jayco rep, my weight slip showed me that I would have about 1040 lbs to the GVWR to play with. Road loaded I was at 20980. That allows me to tow 6040 lbs. I don't but I could.
Denny

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 6938
26,000 - 20,980 = 5020. Not enough for a 57000 Tahoe.

I think this is why Four Winds put our a model with the 30,000 GCWR (our other Denny was really interested in it and he asked me to see if I could see one when we were in Elkhart but FW production was closed down as the market as slumped).

Don

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 6939
Denny, actually pretty easy. My GVWR was 19,500 and GCWR same as yours - 26,000. So I had 6500 lbs to play with and it meant I didn't have to be concerned at all.

Don

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 6940
Did I miss calculate. My figures come up with 5020 left for towing.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 6941

You are right Ron. I'm lousy at math.
Denny

2006 Seneca 35GS Dmax. Ford Ranger toad.

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 6942

I have since lightened the load in the GS for a fudge factor.
Denny

2006 Seneca 35GS Dmax. Ford Ranger toad.

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 6945
I tow a 3500lb horse trailer with another 2500lbs for horses and tack with NO PROBLEM.

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 6946
Tara, you may never notice a problem BUT if you are considerably over the 26,000 lbs and my memory is working, what you might suddenly find is that you have transmission problems. If my memory is working - the heavier GCWR of 30,000 lbs for the model introduced by Four Winds had the Allison 2500 transmission that GM felt was necessary for the extra weight.

Don

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 6955
I was told that this RV could tow 7000lbs.

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 6957
Tara, check your weight labels. If GCWR is 26,000 lbs then your MH with everything on board (people and stuff, what is in waste and fresh water tanks) should not exceed 19,000 lbs, and your hitch should be rated for 7,000 lbs or more (mine was rated for 10,000). If the weight exceeds 19,000 lbs then what is left is less than 7,000 lbs.

If the "leftover" is not much less than 7,000 lbs then you are probably ok. But, if your MH fully loaded is approaching the 22,000 (I assume you have a diesel on the 22,000 lbs chassis) then you could have a problem up the road but that is difficult to predict. If you have a diesel on the 19,500 lb chassis then you are better off for towing 7,000 lbs. We got our gasser for that reason since it allowed us to tow a Tahoe without any questions.

Don

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 6958
Not that it matters all that much, but I believe the GVWR is 19500 - leaving 6500 for towing on the gas models...I tow a 24ft enclosed trailer with a 7k GVWR and have no issues...Go from San Diego to the desert near Yuma, up and over the grade, with no issues. :). Average about 45 MPH on the steep parts.

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 6959
I thought that is what I said as I had the gas version as well and got it for that reason.

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 6960
I'm happy to report the sticker says 19,500 on the door frame. What a relief. I don't haul often, but it's good to know I won't damage the trans when I do. Thanks for your help.

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 6963
I am confused? I have a diesel on the 19,500# chassis which I selected on purpose.....ergo to get 6500 LEGIT towing capacity. I took a pass on the Seneca as the GCWR is the same they just bloat up the coach - which is a bit nicer than mine but form must follow function.

Now I am sure the motorhome would pull more more I do not need the liability / safety headache. My highway pet peave are all the idiots that run over gross and end up causing highway delays and injury to others.

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 6964
Where do you go? and I take it you have an offroad car / dune buggy? I have a Tatum Sypyder (dual sport), a 7K GVWR trailer etc. that my Kodiak barely knows it behind me.

We go more to Ocotillo - I like the dirt more than the sand (for now) and its closer / shorter drive.

Maybe we will connect out at the desert next season. I have two 6YO kids who love the desert and the off-road car....

Victor

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 6965
Don't be confused, if you have the 19,500 and diesel then you have a great combo for towing. Jayco didn't have that combo when we bought. By far most diesel Kodiaks are on the 22/26 chassis. That is why you can't talk towing capacity without making clear what all of the specs are.

It should be noted that the Four Winds models that went to 30,000 GCWR also went to 26,000 GVWR.

Here is a lot of discussion on this by members of this group (2008) and you will note that Ron pointed out (in 2008) that the transmission was the main change (but there were changes to springs, tires etc because of the 26,000 GVWR). I think FW designed this model for those who wanted to tow a lot - but if you ever filled the MH to the 26,000 GVWR then you'd be right back to only 4,000 lbs towing.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/21796435/srt/pa/pging/1/page/2.cfm

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/21796435/srt/pa/pging/1/page/2.cfmDon

Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 6968

I go to Gordons mostly - I have a Hayabusa long travel car (Sand Bullet) and a Honda FL400 Pilot for the wife.

No kids for us yet, but maybe soon :).

Those Tatum's are nice!!

Reply #25
Yahoo Message Number: 6972
Wyatt, If you ever find your self in the Midwest we too have a off road vehicle. WE have a XTC Motoesports mini sandrail with a CBR 900RR
We drive it at Silverlake, Michigan, in the Sanddunes. Infact in the Fall they have the National Sand Hill Climb there. People come from all over the country to this event. Maybe we need to have a Kodiak Rally here at the Michigan Sanddunes for all us offroaders!!
Larry Myers

Reply #26
Yahoo Message Number: 6973
Hmmm. I looked at Google Maps and find we drove right by the area last August on the way to Manistee and Orchard Beach State Park. This August we will be at Poncho's in Ludington for six days with my son, DIL and two grandchildren. I guess we'll have to head down to Silver Lake for a day.

It sure looks interesting.

http://www.google.ca/search?q=Silverlake,+Michigan&hl=en&client=safari&rls=en&prmd=ivnsm&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=ZwTETZ64LOrh0QH0rumcCA&ved=0CFwQsAQ&biw=1709&bih=1090

http://www.google.ca/search?q=Silverlake,+Michigan&hl=en&client=safari&rls=en&prmd=ivnsm&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=ZwTETZ64LOrh0QH0rumcCA&ved=0CFwQsAQ&biw=1709&bih=1090Don

Reply #27
Yahoo Message Number: 6982
Don,
As I said Shari & I go to the sanddunes to play in the dunes in our mini sandrail a lot during the summer. Shari usually makes the reservations for the camping there so at this minute I am not sure what weeks she has planed to be in SilverLake this summer. Let me know when your going to be in the area and if we can work it out I would be glad to give all of your family a buggy ride in the dunes!
When we stay at Silverlake we ALWAYS stay at Silvercreek RV Resort http://www.silvercreekrv.com/
It is by far the nicest RV Resort/Camp ground we have ever stayed in anywhere in the country.
I know for sure we have reservations for camping during the Silverlake Apple & BBQ Cook-Off Festival - September 9th - 10th,2011 http://www.applebbqfestival.com/ and the Silverlake National Sand Hill Climb Sept 11th
Hope to see you there some time.

PS If any others of the group are going to be in the Silverlake MI area this summer let me know!

Larry & Shari Myers

Reply #28
Yahoo Message Number: 6984
Larry, my NO. 2 son has two quad runners and they hauled them to Silver Lake several times. Now with a 3 month old and 3 year old they suddenly find the opportunity for use of the quad runners has diminished.
We arrive at Poncho's Pond in Ludington on Aug 14 and depart Saturday Aug 20.

If by some chance you are there at that time keep me posted. At that point our grandchildren will be 7 months and 3.5 years so we will be pretty busy with them.

Don