Skip to main content
Topic: Firestone ride-rite airbags #2362 (Read 1334 times) previous topic - next topic

Firestone ride-rite airbags #2362

Yahoo Message Number: 7121
Hello
Does anyone have Firestone ride- rite airbags on a 2006 Jayco 35Gs or any Chev Kodiak vechile. I replaced the orignal springs with 19,500 rear springs. If so, would you share the good&bads with the bags and are they worth the expense?
Thanks

Re: Firestone ride-rite airbags #2362

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 7122
I added the air bags to my 2005 Endura GS and it drives like a different machine with the air bags. Great addition.
TJ

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 7123
I have the bags on mine. They have tamed the body roll considerably. I have not replaced the springs as of yet but am considering that task. I have had two of the bags blow out but not for any fault of theirs. The mount bracket to spring loosened allowing the bag to rub against the mount and blow out. I now keep an eye on their security and have not had further problems. I would say that they are worth the investment for the stability they offer. There is another manufacturer out there that is sold by Camper World that has the same load carrying capacity. Not sure of the cost. FYI mine is a 2006 35 GS as well.
Regards
Denny

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 7124
My air bags are 4 years old. Next year after install I had to go around all the hose connection and push them into fittings. Have not had any other problems. They made a big difference in handling.

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 7126

i have a 07 greyhawk 33ds with the gas motor. I installed the air bags and love them...what a difference. I would like some info on the 19k springs if anyone has any. looking for a little bit more lift out back? seems to sag a bit in the rear.

scott

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 7127
I have them also on my '05 GS Endura 6340. I can't say how significant the difference is as they were on the coach when purchased. It drove well when we bought it and I also added a rear trac bar. ND winds are a piece of cake with this now. More stable in the wind than my Suburban.
Greg
MN

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of durandbrown
Sent: Friday, June 03, 2011 8:28 PM
To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Firestone ride-rite airbags #2362

Hello
Does anyone have Firestone ride- rite airbags on a 2006 Jayco 35Gs or any Chev Kodiak vechile. I replaced the orignal springs with 19,500 rear springs. If so, would you share the good&bads with the bags and are they worth the expense?
Thanks

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 7128
I recently put them on my 05 GS 6316. Made a 300 mile trip since then. So far, ride is harder; ran them at 40 psi. Didn't notice a difference in handling. Put them on because the suspension travel was near zero when fully loaded. Plus the suspension was mushy although better shocks may help there.

Installed myself without removing wheels. I would do it this way again.

Charles

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 7129
Charles, didn't you have to drill holes for the upper bracket? I bought
a set but haven't installed them yet. Worried about the wheel lug nut
torque. I have a 2006 Endura EH 33 foot.

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 7130
You do have to drill two holes each side for the upper brackets. I borrowed a torque wrench to reinstall the wheels. The torque is quite high on the kodiaks. I think around 450 foot pounds. I will not be taking them off myself again. I will be calling out road service to do the heavy work. It was worth the time to do it myself in the long run.
Denny

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 7131
I drove the RV onto some boards to give a little more working room underneath.

I used the vehicle stabilizers to unload the suspension - wheels still on the ground (boards). Then blocked the frame for safety. This gives clearance around the wheel well to do the work. Use blocks under the stabilizer pads to reduce the amount of extension of the jacks.

Then remove the spring jounce bumpers. This took spraying with solvent and letting them sit over night. Hold the bumper with large channel locks and use a ratchet to remove the nut. This was the worst part of the job because of rusted metal. Your choice of a long reach from over top of the wheels or from over top the frame rail after getting underneath the vehicle.

Take a bolt the same diameter as the stud in the bumper. Use it to temporarily bolt the air spring bracket to the bumper bracket. This locates the 2 holes that need to be drilled. I used the bracket as a template to drill the holes. One hole was easy to drill with a standard length bit. Drilled it, then inserted a bolt to help make sure the bracket wouldn't move while drilling the second hole. I used an extra long drill here otherwise the drill chuck would interfere with the bracket. In both cases the tires do not interfere with the drill.

After the holes are drilled, remove the bracket and assemble the parts according to the instructions. I got underneath the vehicle where there is a good amount of room for some assembly and to tighten the bolts. I mounted the fill valves forward of the wheels in the wheel wells, as far outboard as they could go, using some small L brackets I made from aluminum angle.

Didn't time the job, but I didn't want to wrestle those wheels off and on the vehicle. My guess is that the total duration of each method is about the same.

Charles

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 7132
Thanks!!!! Lynn this will make the job a whole lot easier.
Durand
-

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 7133
, "durandbrown"  wrote:
Hello
Thanks

I have an 06 Jayco 34SS and just got through putting the Firestone bags on it Saturday, can't report on it as I haven't driven it yet. while I'm at it I'm going to fab up a pair of track bars. Can't wait to see how much improvement it makes.

Shopping on the road

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 7135
Hi all,

We're about six weeks into our 2 1/2 month trip and things have gone extremely well. So far it's been flawless although as we confirm our desire to spend even more time on the road, the 32SS gets smaller :-)

We looked at a 2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Air XL 3890TS today that was just gorgeous. It had all the things DW wants except the king bed. I think the price is still a bit too high but we've just started talking and there is an identical unit about an hour south that we'll go and compare it to.

At 38.5 ft, it's not huge but has tons of storage. The weight numbers look good for the DP and it looks new.

Anyway, just thinking out loud here. I know it's an orphan so that's a bit disconcerting, but then again it's old enough it may not really matter

All thoughts are welcome.

Take care,
Greg

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 7136
I have had the airbags on my 2007 Seneca ZX toyhauler for about a month now. Made two 300-500 mile trips since install, and like having them so far. Ride is a bit more plush, and I can raise or lower the pressure depending on how much weight I am carrying in the garage. 70 psi seems to be a good average number for my use. I have done most of the suspension mods for the Kodiak, and I noticed the biggest ride improvement when factory shocks were replaced with Koni's.

Frank Bock

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 7137
Hey Frank ..... What do you haul in your ZX ?? I have a FourWinds Funmover which is basically the same as yours, looks about the same. Where are you located ?? Gary Myers

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 7138
Hi Gary,

I live in SE Michigan, about 25 miles North of Detroit, and belong to the Great Lakes Dual Sport motorcycle club.
http://www.gldsmc.org/
We do off road riding throughout the wonderful state of Michigan. No racing, just a bunch of middle age and older folks riding 90-150 miles routes that are laid out on roll charts and GPS. I ride a 2008 KTM 450 XCW. Some of our events are dry camping only, while others are at legitimate campgrounds. The Seneca ZX definitely provides a lot of luxury to my hobby.

What is your home state Gary?

Frank Bock

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 7140
Howdy Frank !!! We are located in central Florida. We use the Funmover to haul 2 Polaris 500 Sportsmen ATV's
a tight fit but getting good at it now. Thinking maybe getting a Razor would make it easier
to load and unload.

Diesel question

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 7141
The last diesel I had was a 1994 Ford 7.3 non turbo. I know diesels are a lot different now, but have no current experience with them.

One used DP I'm going to look at is a 2005 and it was mentioned to me that I should beware of the lift pump probably needing replacement because that era's pumps don't deal well with the new ULSD fuel used now.

Anybody able to shed light on this? Is it a concern? Costly?

Take care,
Greg

Re: Diesel question

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 7142
Depends on how many miles are on it. What engine are you looking at? 2005 was better than the 2003 and older. 2005 should have newer stuff in it.
In 2006 when I bought my Kodiak. Some stations already had ULSD.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 7144
Greg, the CAT will be a C7 with 860 ft lbs of torque. The Cummins looks to me like it could just be an ISB and even though HP is 340, torque is only 660. I think this is the engine used in the new Seneca and I thought they should have gone for more torque.

37F looks nice, but with that size I'd like to have a diesel pulling or pushing it.

Don

ps. Where are you now?

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 7145
The CAT has a good record with the people that I know that own them. The 2008 with a 340 is a 6.7 same as a pickup. In my opinion it is under powered.
Look for something with a ISC engine. The one you are looking at may have the ISB-XT.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 7146
I've had a CAT C7 and it was fine - as was the ISC I had next. ISC had 90 ft lbs torque more than the C7 (950 to 860) but the Ambassador was much heavier than the Journey so it was a bit of a wash.

Only issue with those engines was maintenance cost if you don't do it yourself (I've got five thumbs on each hand) or find a friendly shop. My experience with the OTR service centers is that they don't care to work on diesel pushers because of the access issues (and they are real) and they don't really care for RVers who as one Freightliner/CAT/Cummins dealer said "the come in and want everything done NOW." Of course they are often busy with long haul truckers and others making a living from their trucks and they want them back on the road quickly. Usually the dealer has a few days work backed up (if not more) and if they slide in an RVer it means a regular and probably much bigger customers gets delayed.

Greg, since both DPs are on Freightliner chassis, if you do get one of them, take it to the Freightliner service center in Gaffney for you annual maintenance. They do very good work and we found the prices were very very fair. Year one maintenance, which included a switch to TranSynd and new tranny filters, was just a bit over $500. Year one maintenance with the Ambassador at a Cummins dealer was $1000 and it already had TranSynd. Gaffney is about 200 miles from your home near Raleigh but I'm sure you'd be travelling often enough along I-85.

Don

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 7150
Wow, Don and Ron come thru with a barrel of info as usual! Thanks for some very helpful lessons on engines, etc.

Don, can you say how you think the 340 ISB would compare in feel to the gas 32SS on power? I often think this is a bit weak on the hills towing the 4000 lb Vue although I can keep it above 45 even in the Rockies.

We're really waffling around on what to do and of course there's no big rush to do anything if at all. There is a nice 2008 Damon Astoria, but it is the 340 ISB and although it's supposed to be in like new condition, there is no way to know how the TPO roof has been cared for. I've been anal about mine, but I don't know about a used one. The floor plan is good for DW and a king bed can be put in place of the queen.

There is also a nice Coachmen Cross Country, but I'm concerned about the wheelbase ratio at exactly .50. With a rear diesel, closet, clothes and washer/dryer in the back, I can't help but wonder if it drives like a boat. There about three of them available and they all have similar low mileage at 7500.

I think she is still leaning towards the Itasca Suncruiser 35P even though it's gas because it's new and has the king bed, stackable washer/dryer and four door refer. She liked the 37F, but according to Motorhome magazine it has about 860 lbs CCC....holy smokes, how can that be ? We have that much in shoes :-)

Can't afford to make a mistake.

After cruising thru RV.net, I more fully appreciate our little group here too. Geez, what a nightmare trying to glean anything useful from between the flame wars.

Oh yeah, we're still in Denver, CO

Take care,
Greg

Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 7151
Greg, I think the ISB would be much better because of the almost 50% greater torque - depending, of course, on the weight of the Astoria. It is the torque and the exhaust brake that I missed the most with our downsizing from a DP to a gasser. Towing up hill was a breeze.

I've never been certain about the 340 HP with the ISB because they jacked it several times from under 300HP but the torque never moved much, if at all.

I've had no experience with the Duramax but I'd think that its HP/Torque combo is pretty good - and even better than the ISB in 2011 with 397/765. Our Duramax Kodiak associates here don't seem to complain much about the grunt with their 650.

As to the Coachmen with the .50 wb/length ratio - well, that would take it right off of my list. IMO .50 for a DP is not quite as bad as .50 for a gasser because it has a front overhang and that means less overhang in the back for a given ratio - but .50 plain outright sucks.

The 35P is a nice unit and wb/length is somewhat better at .53+ but not great. Note that external storage is only 105 cu ft compared with the 119 in your 32SS. Bedroom area sure looks large. Given that full length slide on the road side and 2 curb side slides I'd be inclined to want the 24/30 chassis. Make sure you check the weight sticker.

As we all know, with a new MH one expects problems. We sure had a long list with our Winnie Journey and our HR Ambassador. The Greyhawk 32SS had its share as well. So far we've only had one item that turned up the day after we took delivery - the cap on one side of a T used in a water line that should have been a right angle came off. We've been a bit disappointed by a few things that were not on the MH that we assumed came standard on all MHs (no 12V power to the dash radio from the coach batteries when the ignition is off), but nothing requiring repairs. It is a huge improvement over the quality of the 2004 Journey. If you go for the Itasca, make sure you get the Motoraid as it is a great option (motor heat is transferred to the hot water tank and after driving 300 miles it is nice to have hot water waiting when you stop for the night).

If you find the perfect motorhome, let us know. I'm sure most of us have been searching for it or wondering about it for years.

Enjoy Denver. I haven't been there for many years but during one trip I went to a great restaurant. It was called "The Broker" and it was in an old bank vault. Food was great - but not cheap.

Don

On 2011-06-10, at 12:07 PM, Greg Gimlick wrote: