Skip to main content
Topic: Made it home. (Read 1318 times) previous topic - next topic

Made it home.

Yahoo Message Number: 7298
Okay so our trip was a little more than 2000 miles. Made it home last night just before midnight after being gone almost a month. We put over 4500 miles on the Jayco and 1200 miles on the Jeep. We visited 10 states. Our problem with the engine shutting down was lack of fuel when it was doing the catalytic burn and we were consuming large amounts of fuel going up a hill and we had a big vacuum in our tank. Once we figured that out, we kept the fuel cap a little loose and never had another problem. We even climbed a couple very steep hills when the catalytic burn was going on with no problem. We did always keep at least 1/3 tank of fuel so we never got really low. Now that we are home, we will check into getting a new fuel cap that doesn't seal as tight as our original and all the other steps you guys suggested. Dave is also going to go in and talk to the mechanic to see why the fuel filter wouldn't prime following the steps in the book. I can't thank you enough for your advice when we were stuck. Just knowing there was someone out there that was willing to help was comforting for this newbie. We did see several Seneca's on our journey but unfortunately never had the chance to talk with any of the owners to see if any of them were on the list. We climbed some pretty steep hills. One was 12% for about a mile and the Seneca pulled it like a champ. And I love the Exhaust brake. We feel very fortunate to have found such a great Motorhome and your advice has improved our ownership. Thanks guys. Appreciated.

Re: Made it home.

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 7300
Glad that you had a great time and not Too many problems

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 7636
I'm glad you got home in good order. And I'm jealous. We just returned from a trip to Arizona and Utah and did not have good results towing with the Seneca.

There were two of us onboard and we were towing a 2,600 lb. car on a tow dolly, maybe 500 lbs, 3,100 total.

No problems going across Texas and New Mexico. But going north out of Phoenix up to Flagstaff, there are two climbs. One to 5,000 feet, then back down to 1-2,000, then a long climb up to 7,000.

I finally managed to nurse it to the top of the 5,000, although the engine temp got uncomfortably close to the red. Tranny temp stayed low.

Cooled it off and started up the second climb. Had to pull over after 1 or 1 1/2 miles to unload the toad when it was clear that the temp was going to go into the red. Then the wife drove the car and I drove the Seneca without problems on up to Flagstaff.

We had originally intended to go on to Wyoming, but turned back after the long climb up to and north of Page. Started out from Page, but it was one long climb after another and I didn't want to drive 700 more miles like that (wife driving the toad). It was miserable. Finally quit after 150 miles and came back down to page, put the car on the dolly, and came back to Texas.

I came here to see if there was a cure. I see all the talk about tuners. Do you think a tuner can solve my problem? Or what could?

It is still in warranty, so I can't do anything mechanical.

Thanks for any help. I am very disappointed with the RV. The Cummins in our old pusher never gave me this kind of grief.

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 7637
Sounds very odd not sure it is the towing. Elevation you are talking about is not that bad. Tow 5000 lb trailer all over the place and have never had a problem and live in the NV desert. I just put a PPE turner on mine and would say I don't notice that much difference other than it does not down shift when towing.

Keith
Sent on the Sprint® Now Network from my BlackBerry®

Sender: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2011 17:42:16 -0000
To:
ReplyTo: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: Made it home.

I'm glad you got home in good order. And I'm jealous. We just returned from a trip to Arizona and Utah and did not have good results towing with the Seneca.

There were two of us onboard and we were towing a 2,600 lb. car on a tow dolly, maybe 500 lbs, 3,100 total.

No problems going across Texas and New Mexico. But going north out of Phoenix up to Flagstaff, there are two climbs. One to 5,000 feet, then back down to 1-2,000, then a long climb up to 7,000.

I finally managed to nurse it to the top of the 5,000, although the engine temp got uncomfortably close to the red. Tranny temp stayed low.

Cooled it off and started up the second climb. Had to pull over after 1 or 1 1/2 miles to unload the toad when it was clear that the temp was going to go into the red. Then the wife drove the car and I drove the Seneca without problems on up to Flagstaff.

We had originally intended to go on to Wyoming, but turned back after the long climb up to and north of Page. Started out from Page, but it was one long climb after another and I didn't want to drive 700 more miles like that (wife driving the toad). It was miserable. Finally quit after 150 miles and came back down to page, put the car on the dolly, and came back to Texas.

I came here to see if there was a cure. I see all the talk about tuners. Do you think a tuner can solve my problem? Or what could?

Thanks for any help. I am very disappointed with the RV. The Cummins in our old pusher never gave me this kind of grief.

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 7638
We tow an 8,000 lb. Chevrolet Suburban and live in Colorado. We've (just last weekend) pulled Wolf Creek Pass, Monarch Pass, and travelled to 46 (including the pull you did in AZ--parents live there so go a couple of times a year) of the lower U.S. States pulling it. Never had the needle even go into the red since we bought it new in 2007. Just food for thought.....

Chris

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of kllasvegas@...
Sent: Thursday, September 08, 2011 11:55 AM
To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: Made it home.

Sounds very odd not sure it is the towing. Elevation you are talking about is not that bad. Tow 5000 lb trailer all over the place and have never had a problem and live in the NV desert. I just put a PPE turner on mine and would say I don't notice that much difference other than it does not down shift when towing.

Keith
Sent on the Sprint® Now Network from my BlackBerry®
center

Sender: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com

Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2011 17:42:16 -0000

To:

ReplyTo: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 7639
I've posten on here a few times where I've seen my temperature gauge get up there when I'm climbing long steep grades, especially if I get slowed down by another truck and lose momentum. Easily into the red on the dash gauge and the scan gauge reading up into the high 240's. That's with or without pulling anything. I called a medium chevy dealer service dept and was told to just keep on trucking unless I saw an engine overheat light come on. Mine is a 2006.

Did you hear a fan kick on when you started getting hot?

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 7640
Chris, what kind of a Burb you have that weighs that much? Or do you fill it with lead? :)

Don

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 7641
Attachments :

Don-
    Hahahaha...No, don't fill it with lead--only Unleaded!
    Have a 2002 Chevrolet Suburban,  8.1L V-8 340 HP with GVWR of 8,600. Figured we owned it outright and it tows 4-down, so why upgrade? That was one factor in buying the Kodiak 5500--it tows up to 10,000 lbs.

Chris

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Don
    Sent: Thursday, September 08, 2011 12:23 PM

Chris, what kind of a Burb you have that weighs that much? Or do you fill it with lead? :)

Don

Reply #8
    Yahoo Message Number: 7642
    Yes, the fan comes on quite regularly. But when it is really pulling hard, it drops down to 3rd gear, 3,000 RPM, (which also means the temp is going up and up!) and the auxiliary cooling fan is wailing. It is scary from a mechanical view and I hate to let it go very long.

It was 100 degrees outside which of course did not help. But I still expected it to pull that load. I supposedly have 4,000 towing capacity and was towing 3,100.

Reply #9
    Yahoo Message Number: 7643
    We bought a Kodiak gasser so we could tow a Tahoe since the diesels with a GVWR of 22,000 lbs and GCWR of 26,000 would not be able to tow it without exceeding the 26,000. Sure, we had a 10,000 hitch but that didn't mean we could tow that much. On the other hand, if you have one of the few 30,000 lb GCWR Four Winds that would be a different story. As I recall it has a 2500 Allison.

Don

Reply #10
    Yahoo Message Number: 7644
    Here's a head scratcher: Mine say GVWR is 22,00. 8,000 front and 15,000 rear. GCW rating 26,000.

But, looking at the build sticker on the back of the driver sun visor, there is a code (that I found somewhere) that indicates that the unit has a 19,000 lb. axle.

So, why isn't it 30,000 GCW? Was GM was too cheap to get the info stickers redone, so they kept on printing 15,000 for the rear and 26,000 GCW. Seems like with 19,000 lb rear axle, it ought to be 30,000 GCW?

Reply #11
    Yahoo Message Number: 7645
    All the C5500's are rated at 26,000 GCW. That way they can be driven without a CDL.
    Here is a link with ordering info on the C5500.
    http://eogld.ecomm.gm.com/NASApp/mediumduty/proddesc.jsp?year=2009&brandID=1&line=206&modelID=1473&package=1593&series=1§ion=1&page=0#cat15
    You should not be having overheating problems. I have driven up and down the area where you had problems without the gauge ever moving above 200 degrees. It was in the mid to upper 90's during the trips.
    What year is your Kodiak.
    I would not put a tuner on until warranty is over. Tuners can create more heat. GM has been very strict on enforcing no tuners if you want a warranty.
    My first thoughts on overheating is blocked radiator or other obstruction.
    Next thought is bad water pump.
    Does engine have Dexcool in it? Mixing with another antifreeze can cause all kinds of sludge problems.
    Members that have weighed their Senecas & toad have found that they are over the 26,000 lbs. This should not cause overheating. Which model Seneca do you have?
    Did your engine go into limp mode. If it did not, then you did not overheat.
    I have a ScanGauge II on Kodaik. Gives me the digital readings that GM uses to operate the temperature gauge on dash plus a lot of other info.
    Best
    Ron Hall

Reply #12
    Yahoo Message Number: 7646
    This is a great conversation, but speaking from experience and living in the central of CA, I'm always having to go through hills to get to my destination. My vehicle is a 2008 36MS, we have a kar kaddy tow dolley and tow a 2006 Honda Odyssey. After weighing I'm roughly at 27,350lbs when I start me trip. I know that I'm over but it is what it is when loading and towing for vacation. I have been very disapponted in my Seneca when I first got it because it was truly not what I thought I was getting. Now here is the good news:

I came back from the coast last weekend and the temp outside was 102 and my RV never got over 216 degrees. I did have the generator running the air in the coach on and turned off the cab air when going throught the hills. I have tried PPE tuners and I really like it then I changed and went to a Quadzilla. I have roughly 90 more horsepower at the flywheel and about 180 more torque. Keep in mind I cruise around 58 mph everywhere and I'm roughly 50-55 mph in the hills.

I will suggest to anyone looking at a tuner that it is strongly advocated to have a pyrometer. From experience, the EGT's can go nuts with a tuner and if you are not watching it you can get yourself into trouble by not throttling back if needed. The additional horsepower gets me through the hills very easily and does not overwork my motor. I did some minor exhaust work by increasing the exhaust size to 4 inches at about 1/2 way from the enitire exhaust. This has allowed a decrease in my EGT's where it is really not a problem anymore. The good news is that both modifications were very inexpensive and it has made my Seneca very fun, exciting and comfortable driving anywhere I go. If the stock Seneca with the Duramax is loaded and going through hills, in my mind it will always be a challenge to get over the tougher climbs. The good news is that it can change with a minor upgrade or modification.

Tim

Sent: Thursday, September 8, 2011 12:41 PM

All the C5500's are rated at 26,000 GCW. That way they can be driven without a CDL.
    Here is a link with ordering info on the C5500.
    http://eogld.ecomm.gm.com/NASApp/mediumduty/proddesc.jsp?year=2009&brandID=1&line=206&modelID=1473&package=1593&series=1§ion=1&page=0#cat15
    You should not be having overheating problems. I have driven up and down the area where you had problems without the gauge ever moving above 200 degrees. It was in the mid to upper 90's during the trips.
    What year is your Kodiak.
    I would not put a tuner on until warranty is over. Tuners can create more heat. GM has been very strict on enforcing no tuners if you want a warranty.
    My first thoughts on overheating is blocked radiator or other obstruction.
    Next thought is bad water pump.
    Does engine have Dexcool in it? Mixing with another antifreeze can cause all kinds of sludge problems.
    Members that have weighed their Senecas & toad have found that they are over the 26,000 lbs. This should not cause overheating. Which model Seneca do you have?
    Did your engine go into limp mode. If it did not, then you did not overheat.
    I have a ScanGauge II on Kodaik. Gives me the digital readings that GM uses to operate the temperature gauge on dash plus a lot of other info.
    Best
    Ron Hall

Reply #13
    Yahoo Message Number: 7647
    IIRC Originally they put IN 15,000 rear springs but encountered all kinds of sagging problems. Some owners here had the manufacturer upgrade their springs. If the rated at 30,000 GCWR they would have to upgrade the transmission to a Allison 2500 at addition cost. (Ron are my recollections right?)

Reply #14
    Yahoo Message Number: 7648
    The 1000 and 2000 series transmissions are the same outside. Have different internals for the added load. Class A come with a 1000 transmission all the way up to 30,000 lbs with a gas engine. Put a diesel in it and it gets a 2000 series.
    Best
    Ron Hall

Reply #15
    Yahoo Message Number: 7649
    Are you sure? I'm on Amtrak's SW Chief and we are now west of Princeton IL. headed for Albuquerque. As you would guess I have my iPad and on it is the GM 2007 Kodiak order info. It says 1000 6 spd standard for all RV units and the 2350 6 speed is optional. The only 2350 I can recall is the Four Winds with 30,000 GCWR.

Don

Reply #16
    Yahoo Message Number: 7650
    Attachments :

Don-
      Yes, per your previous question, we do have a Four Winds J Love it!

Chris

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Don
      Sent: Thursday, September 08, 2011 3:51 PM

Are you sure? I'm on Amtrak's SW Chief and we are now west of Princeton IL. headed for Albuquerque. As you would guess I have my iPad and on it is the GM 2007 Kodiak order info. It says 1000 6 spd standard for all RV units and the 2350 6 speed is optional. The only 2350 I can recall is the Four Winds with 30,000 GCWR.

Don

Reply #17
      Yahoo Message Number: 7651
      The Seneca is a 2009 36MS purchased new in April this year. It turned 9,000 miles on the way home last week.

The chassis details are interesting. It was apparently made in 2007, as I was given 2007 owners manual, but the chassis VIN goes to a 2008. So sounds like that chassis sat around for a while before Jayco mounted the Seneca.

I just went to a nearby Cat scale and was pleasantly surprised to learn that with me, 1/3 tank of water, and 2/3 tank of fuel, it is at 20,980. So, throw on a wife, food clothes, 15 lb dog, and we're around 21,250. I like that.

Sounds like I will be at our local medium duty warranty facility, claiming that I have an overheating problem.

Is there a way they can test for this?

One other item I am in the dark about: the indicator on the dash that indicates there is an exhaust blockage comes on from time to time. Pressing the switch on the dash with the same symbol does nothing that I can tell. It stays on for 15-20 minutes at highway speed, then goes off. Is that an indication that I have an exhaust blockage? Could that be the fault in this whole overheating business?

Reply #18
      Yahoo Message Number: 7652
      you have a 2009 36ms, built on a 2008 chassis

and you have the wrong year manuals.

2008 was the last year for this chassis were used for building 2009 and 2010 senecas.

no 2007 chassis were used were used to build the 2009 model senecas.

go to http://www.dieselplace.com then scroll down to VIN Check Requests and ask for the build sheet on your chassis.

don

-- KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com, "retiredminiguy"  wrote:

Reply #19
      Yahoo Message Number: 7653
      ps: that blocked exhaust symbol and switch are actually the dpf burn symbol and switch.

diesel particulate filter details will be in the 2008 chassis manual.

don

Reply #21
      Yahoo Message Number: 7655

"So, why isn't it 30,000 GCW? Was GM was too cheap to get the info stickers redone, so they kept on printing 15,000 for the rear and 26,000 GCW. Seems like with 19,000 lb rear axle, it ought to be 30,000 GCW?"

I did a lot of research on this when I owned my Seneca. The limiting factors for GCVW are two items in the chassis used for the Seneca: the transmission and the cooling system (radiator). The Allison 1000 series transmissions are rated at a GCVW of 26,000 pounds by Allison. It is my understanding that the limiting factor in the design is the strength of the parking pawl. The other transmission internals can handle the load. The other item, and this was a hard one to track down, is the radiator. I have been told that the radiators on rigs rated for 30,000 pound GCVWR have a higher fin count in order to handle additional heat transfer.

When I had my 35GS, I was routinely over GCVWR when I had my Jeep on a trailer ... pushing 28,000 pounds. The only place I really noticed any cooling issues was climbing the first grade on I-70 headed west out of Denver. My speeds dropped to ~30 - 35 MPH and I throttled back to 250 RPM below redline (I don't remember the redline ... sorry). Trans temps warmed up a bit (the only time I ever saw the factory trans temp come off the lower peg) and the engine temp got close to the red mark on the gauge (for what that's worth ... the factory gauges are good for trend info, not for precise measurements).

I second the idea for an EGT gauge since that is an important measurement for a diesel. I have not put one on the Cummins ISC in my M2 based RV yet, but plan to. I had a Dodge truck with the Cummins ISB several years ago and I could exceed 1250F post turbo on that rig in stock configuration if I was not careful.

My $0.05 (used to be $0.02, but inflation ....)

Sam

Reply #22
      Yahoo Message Number: 7656
      Thanks, Ron. Very good information.

One question: when climbing, are you maintaining a "normal" highway speed and the 200 degree temp?

It never occurred to me to let it slow way down try to keep going. I didn't want to be a hazard when other people might be struggling up hill.

Reply #23
      Yahoo Message Number: 7657
      When climbing I turn off overdrive as soon as speed starts to drop off. Try to stay under 3,000 rpm. I have a EGT gauge and keep temperature below 1,300. Letting up off the throttle is easiest way to drop EGT's. GM frowns on owners installing a pyrometer.
      There is a similar discussion going on over on Diesel Place about climbing steep grades. Letting up on the throttle and slowing down is best way to keep temperatures low.
      I have found that using the above procedure will keep me ahead of semi trucks.
      Best
      Ron Hall

Climbing and temperature and speed at the summit

Reply #24
      Yahoo Message Number: 7668
      Thanks for all the replies on this issue. I am still unclear on one issue from you guys who have related that you pull pretty good loads up steep hills and the temp gauge doesn't move off of 210.

How do you drive a steep, long climb (6% grade or so) in your DMax Seneca? Once you get into the climb, keep your foot in it all the way to the summit or, as Ron Hall says, reduce RPM to stay below 3,000 RPM and let speed drop as necessary?

Our previous RV was a 35' pusher powered by an ISB Cummins. I always just kept my foot in it when towing up a hill. Temp never got up much, although I might only be making 40 or 45 at the summit.

Thanks for any comments or ideas.