Skip to main content
Topic: fresh water overflow (Read 1390 times) previous topic - next topic

fresh water overflow

Yahoo Message Number: 7343
Hi Everyone
I have a 07 Kodiak Greyhawk 8.1L. Family and I loaded up the Rock crawler and headed up to the sierras East of Fresno around 7k feet. we filled the water tank at home and when we arrived we had 1/3 left. Friend said every corner I took it would leak out the three lines for the overflow in the back... How do I fix so I do not leak out all my water? is this normal?
Also saw a few Seneca's this weekend one up by Shaver Lake and Flowed on into Madera.
Thanks for the help..... Scott

Re: fresh water overflow

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 7344
Scott, we are struggling with exactly the same thing. I was going to go into the local shop tomorrow and ask them but I know the guys on this list are so much wiser, so I think we will wait for their answer. We have our water compartment apart insulating it and were trying to figure out how to fix that problem and hadn't come up with any solution so your question was perfect timing for us. (I hadn't asked because I have asked so many questions lately I didn't want to bother them with another one from this newbie.) Looking forward to the answers.

Gail and Dave

To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sunday, July 31, 2011 8:31 PM
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] fresh water overflow

Hi Everyone
I have a 07 Kodiak Greyhawk 8.1L. Family and I loaded up the Rock crawler and headed up to the sierras East of Fresno around 7k feet. we filled the water tank at home and when we arrived we had 1/3 left. Friend said every corner I took it would leak out the three lines for the overflow in the back... How do I fix so I do not leak out all my water? is this normal?
Also saw a few Seneca's this weekend one up by Shaver Lake and Flowed on into Madera.
Thanks for the help..... Scott

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 7345
I put some duct tape over top of three tubes after filling up and removed it when I reach destination. It is syphoning effect you have to watch out for once tank tops off.

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 7346
Scott,

what i ended up doing was to cut the three overflow tubes and insert 3 rahau/pex 1/4 turn shut offs.

these fit snug enough without clamps that they wouldn't leak or blow apart when close unless i forgot to shut off the water befor the tank was full.

if i wanted the tank full i would leave the valves open until the tank was full and then close the valves before leaving.

with a full tank or part tank i'd always close the valves befor i hit the road.

don

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 7347
another thing i did was to put a "T" into the line that came out of the bottom of the tank. using a piece of clear pex tubing i ran it outside that flimsy piece of loran that covers tank and "T'd" it back into one of those overflow tubes.

in effect i had a sight glass to see how much water was in the tank.

a sharpie marked 1/4 1/2 3/4 and full. all i had to do was look into the compartment at this tube to see how full or empty the tank was.

don

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 7348
My approach is a bit different than those listed. I never fill more than 1/3 of the fresh water tank. I carry three water carriers that are 5 imperials. I use the pump to fill the fresh water tank when I am at the dry camp. (Jayco "Sanitize Tank" setting) Often those camps are not really dry, just no hookups, so I can get more water there - as long as you have the carrier or bucket.

I use a step stool to hike the tank up so that the siphon hose goes to the bottom.

I am a little concerned about the strength of the fresh water tank, and not sure I want to rock and roll with that much weight in it.

Kevin (Real) McCoy [KF5FUZ / WQJE447]
("Roscoe Ventura" Jayco Seneca HD SS 34 Diesel 2006; "Toad" Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2007)

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 7349
Gail, don't worry - keep sending your questions. That is the reason this group exists. IMO it is one of the most informative groups in the RV realm - even if one no longer has a Kodiak chassis.

Don

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 7350
Don Leslie wrote:

Gail, don't worry - keep sending your questions.

Absolutely! Even if one doesn't have the problem, it's nice to read
about them and park them in the back of your mind for the time it
happens to you.

IMO it is one of the most informative groups in the RV
realm - even if one no longer has a Kodiak chassis.

No doubt about. Even if the guy who started the list jumped ship and ran
to some other unit, we allow him to continue to own us and speak
occasionally :-)

This list has a very low signal to noise ratio and isn't encumbered by
flame wars and political rants. It's been a very useful resource to me.

Take care,
Greg

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 7351
Okay so I am going to run my idea by you before we do it. Getting a T, more hose and a valve. While we had the wall off in front of the tank, we saw a drain valve near the bottom of the compartment. Once the siphon started, we stopped it by opening the valve thus introducing air into the tank. It had siphoned off half the tank before we realized it. We thought to put a T at the top of one of the overflow drains and run a hose fastened to the compartment roof, with a valve at the end of it. Close the valve when filling the tank so we don't spray the inside of the compartment. Then once the tank is full, open the valve to allow air into the tank, stopping the siphon. The hose would be higher than the tank so no water would be coming out the hose. We would leave the valve open when driving so if there is any slosh the siphon wouldn't start again. We have to take water with us as most places we go only have creeks or "horse" water. Not what I want to put into my fresh water tank. What are your thoughts. Would this work. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Gail

Sent: Monday, August 1, 2011 7:30 AM
Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] fresh water overflow

Gail, don't worry - keep sending your questions. That is the reason this group exists. IMO it is one of the most informative groups in the RV realm - even if one no longer has a Kodiak chassis.

Don

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 7352
Our real tech guys should jump in here but a fellow with 5 thumbs will try. If you have all air escape routes closed as you add water, where does the air in the tank go? My guess is that you could badly damage the tank.

OK Ron and others, jump in.

Don

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 7353
The 3 overflow hoses are always open. No valves on them at all. Just once they start a siphon, they don't stop until air is introduced into the tank. You would think with 3 that one would work as the air in and 2 as water out but I haven't found that. All 3 siphon water out. Yesterday we filled the tank and thought we were okay until we looked under the coach and discovered we were again siphoning. Opened the drain valve which allowed air into the tank and they had siphoned half the tank down. It collapses the middle of the tanks so we couldn't see it on the sides. The T/hose would not plug the overflow hose, just the T that comes off it and is attached to the compartment roof higher than the tank.

Gail

To: "KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com"
Sent: Monday, August 1, 2011 11:09 AM
Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] fresh water overflow

Our real tech guys should jump in here but a fellow with 5 thumbs will try. If you have all air escape routes closed as you add water, where does the air in the tank go? My guess is that you could badly damage the tank.

OK Ron and others, jump in.

Don

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 7355
Not sure I understand why the Jayco's have a problem. Except all the plumbing is at same level or below fresh water tank.
On the Gulf Stream models. Water is filled and vented through hoses that are above the tank. Fill is by gravity threw a 1 1/4" hose. Vent is a 3/4" hose off top of fresh water tank. Biggest problem I have is draining 100 gallons threw a 3/8" drain.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 7356
Ron, I've been wondering if Gail's problem is unique to her unit. During our 3 years+ with a Jayco Kodiak we had no water loss BUT I think about 2/3rds is the most we ever put in the tank. And, like you, draining the tank was time consuming.

Don

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 7357
I don't think it is a "singular" problem since others have mentioned it. We haven't had the problem since we never fill the tank, but what I don't understand is why JAYCO uses 3, 1/2" overflow lines when there is only one 1/2 line filling the tank. Simple physics or whatever tells you that if you only need one 1/2" overflow for one 1/2" fill line..Again I wonder what "Cracker Jacks Box" the engineers got their degree out of ? ? ? ? . But of course what do we know we only buy the "da-n things".

Dave Sparke

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 7358
I too wondered about all the hoses. There should be a low point drain in the lines. A drain at the bottom of the tank that should have a valve on it. The overflow hose near the top of the tank to let excess water flow out and also for the air to escape as it is being forced out by water when filling. A line to the pump for use when not on town water and a line for filling the tank - which may be integrated with the town water input or a separate gravity fill (which we have now and it appears Ron has).

The low point drains on mine were clearly market but a lot of the other lines were not and they were not described clearly in the manual.

Don

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 7359

thanks for everyones input on this.... think I will install 3 valves into the 1/2" lines and close them when traveling and open them when filling ?

Now off to clear a code F from my norcold fridge :)

Scott

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 7360
Be sure to put a note or something somewhere to remind yourself to open them when you start using the pump as well.

Dave Sparke

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 7361
If anyone knows the exact size valves or a link to order online I would appreciate it.

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of scotty
Sent: Monday, August 01, 2011 4:10 PM
Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: fresh water overflow

thanks for everyones input on this.... think I will install 3 valves into the 1/2" lines and close them when traveling and open them when filling ?

Now off to clear a code F from my norcold fridge :)

Scott

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 7374

I covered this one a few months back. I installed two anti-siphon valves on the hoses..problem solved! Depart will full water arrive with full water. Photos were posted too.

~
Victor Burns | KI6IM
2008 Kodiak Dutchmen Diesel 34H

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 7375

I think the ID of the tube is 3/8". You can get the 1/4 turn valves with the barbed fittings at Lowes. I have not installed mine yet.
If you make this upgrade, don't forget to open the valves a bit if you will gain or loose more than 2 or 3 thousand feet elevation while driving. You don't want to damage your tank from the pressure change. When I come back down to San Diego, after hiking, the pressure change sure makes my Nalgen water bottles look funny.

Dan

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 7376
Ian,

on my 2010 the overflow tubes were that braided type nylon hose and i used rahau/everlock valves.

part # 261906

google everlock 261906

don

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 7377
Thanks much appreciated.

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of don_mcl
Sent: Tuesday, August 02, 2011 10:05 AM
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: fresh water overflow

Ian,

on my 2010 the overflow tubes were that braided type nylon hose and i used rahau/everlock valves.

part # 261906

google everlock 261906

don

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 7382
Part of the reason I installed the tiny anti-siphon valves.

Sent: Monday, August 1, 2011 4:37 PM

Be sure to put a note or something somewhere to remind yourself to open them when you start using the pump as well.

Dave Sparke

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 7383
Victor, Where did you get the anti-siphon valves? I haven't found any around here. We finished our adaption today and it worked perfectly but it does require for us to open the valve after filling up the water tank. If we were to change the valve to an anti siphon valve, we wouldn't have to open any handle. I am going to post some pictures we took during the adaption as soon as I download them from my camera. Hopefully, tomorrow. The insulating of the water tank did make the compartment a little smaller but will be well worth it if we don't freeze our fresh water on our hunting trips.

Gail and Dave.
09 Jayco Seneca HD 35GS
11 Jeep Wranger

Sent: Tuesday, August 2, 2011 9:10 PM

Dave Sparke

Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 7384
Any one ever try a Studer Vent (lets air in but not out)?

Bob Schlieder

Sent: Tuesday, August 2, 2011 10:21 PM

Victor, Where did you get the anti-siphon valves? I haven't found any around here. We finished our adaption today and it worked perfectly but it does require for us to open the valve after filling up the water tank. If we were to change the valve to an anti siphon valve, we wouldn't have to open any handle. I am going to post some pictures we took during the adaption as soon as I download them from my camera. Hopefully, tomorrow. The insulating of the water tank did make the compartment a little smaller but will be well worth it if we don't freeze our fresh water on our hunting trips.

Gail and Dave.
09 Jayco Seneca HD 35GS
11 Jeep Wranger

Sent: Tuesday, August 2, 2011 9:10 PM

Dave Sparke