Skip to main content
Topic: Latest milage for us (Read 1228 times) previous topic - next topic

Latest milage for us

Yahoo Message Number: 8224
Just and FYI - calculated our last tank from Gila Bend, AZ to Oceanside, CA and back, and got a nice 10.3 MPG towing our Honda Element. Nice to improve a little from our old Class A.

Ken and Marlene
2005 Gulf Stream Conquest Super C Duramax Diesel.
2006 Honda Element toad.

Re: Latest milage for us

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 8225
Very good. Sure whips the 8.1L gasser - towing I never got over 8 for a tank. Average was 7.6 overall - same as the 41 ft pusher we had before the Kodiak. Not towing and sticking to 55 it would probably get 8.5 - but never got a full tank in at that speed. 55 on an Interstate is just a little too slow.

Greg, how has your mileage been overall - about the same as mine was I suspect. Our current C is only good for about 1 mpg more - also disappointing.

Don

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 8230
Have the Ford E450 Greg. Towing an Escape now. We've seen more than 9 for short periods but it suffers like the Kodiak when facing strong headwinds.

On one occasion with the Kodiak the 6 speed wouldn't go into 6th gear at 60 mph with a very strong head wind. When an 18 wheeler would go by us and shield us from the wind it would move right into 6th. As soon as he was far enough in front of us that we took the full brunt again, it would shift down to 5th - and use more fuel. We got 6 mpg at that time according to the ScanGauge.

Never experienced these issues with either DP we had.

Don

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 8231
, "Ken"  wrote:
Just and FYI - calculated our last tank from Gila Bend, AZ to Oceanside, CA and back, and got a nice 10.3 MPG towing our Honda Element.

If you stayed on I-9 all the way into San Diego and back, then that is exceptional milage. I travel that route about every 2 months and can only get about 9.2 to 9.5 climbing those mountains.

Bob
2008 Seneca 34SS
2006 Chev. Colo Crewcab 4x4

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 8236
Don Leslie wrote:

Have the Ford E450 Greg. Towing an Escape now. We've seen more than 9
for short periods but it suffers like the Kodiak when facing strong
headwinds.

So you're E450 is a gasser chassis? I thought you had a diesel in the
new rig. Is that the V-10 engine then?

On one occasion with the Kodiak the 6 speed wouldn't go into 6th gear at
60 mph with a very strong head wind. When an 18 wheeler would go by us
and shield us from the wind it would move right into 6th.

I've felt that before myself when we were out west in strong wind. I
usually experience that on I-70 thru Kansas as we head up the long long
grade heading to Denver.

Another grandbaby coming this spring so it looks like we'll be Denver
bound again this year. This is getting expensive, although we won't be
spending four months doing it this year.

Never experienced these issues with either DP we had.

There's you answer then, another 40 ft DP :-)

Take care,
Greg

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 8237
Greg,

Where do you stay in Denver? Our daughter is also there, Highlands Ranch,
and we love Chatfield S.P. in Littleton.

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 8238
Yes, the V10.

Whenever we are near LazyDays or go to the Tampa show it is very easy to get attracted to some of the new units.

Some that I like include the Super Duper C's (Dynamax), one or two of the FRED's, and of course many of the A DPs that are really done up well with great floor plans.

Then, common sense takes over (i.e., she looks at me as if I'm nuts) and all thoughts vanish for at least a couple of months. :)

Don

Re: Latest milage for us -For What It Is Worth

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 8242
Don,

When we were considering buying a MH we had to decide whether to go
with a gasser or diesel. I have an older GMC one-ton dually with a 454 gasser. It typically got 9 mpg no matter if I was towing five tons or if empty, and I couldn't understand why. Also, living in the mountains, it never seemed to have enough power for our 8,000 foot passes.

We tried all sorts of modifications on the intake and exhaust. Nothing ever made much difference as to mileage. So I did some searching on air fuel ratios for gasoline engines and found that the optimal air-fuel ratio is 14.7:1. I calculated the engine displacement of the 454 at 60 miles an hour and 3,000 rpm and found that with the gear ratios in the truck, the most I was ever going to get was about 9 mpg. Around town, it was going to be much worse. I ended up putting in a 27% overdrive and the mileage went up about 25% to 12 mpg.

What I took from this experience was that the laws of chemistry and physics control mileage. If the engine displaces so much volume, you have to have so much air and fuel to make the thing work. I think the best I can do is keep my engine clean and well maintained so that it is running at its highest efficiency and keep the RPMs down. I believe this is true for the Duramax.

Also, everyone knows speed affects mileage. But I had no idea how much until I looked into the wind resistance of MHs. For the most part, my 34SS is a big box with no aerodynamic features at all. From what I can tell, this is the most inefficient shape possible, at least from an aerodynamic point of view. It also appears that the air resistance is directly proportional to the square of the speed you are traveling. My calculator says that the resistance at 60 mph is four times the resistance at 30 mph, not double as you might think. Again if my calculator is correct, the resistance at 60 mph is 16% greater than at 55 mph. One might think that since 60 is only 5 mph (8%) faster than 55 the increased resistance might only be 8%. It looks like it is double that, at 16%. Again my calculator says that wind resistance goes up about 36% between 60 mph and 70 mph. What was really shocking and perhaps someone could check this, it looks like wind resistance goes up 63% between 55 mph and 70 mph. If this is true, it must affect mileage.

So it looks like all I can do is keep my rig well maintained and drive prudently. I don't feel too bad however, I have a friend who runs big rigs. He is always complaining that those, which are admittedly three times heavier than mine, only get 4-5 mpg.

Sherm

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 8243
For What Its Worth,
Over the years I have spent countless hours, and thousands of dollars trying to improve fuel mileage on large pick up trucks, (tow vehicles) and motorhomes. I have found that improving overal performance is much easier than mileage. In 1988 I purchaced a 1987 26' C Motorhome on a E 350 Ford with a 460 engine, It had 4000 miles on it, I sold it 14 years later with about 75,000 on it. I added Hooker Headers, a Gear Venders Overdrive Transmission, changed Manifolds Carbs ect. I have always driven about 62 mph, the overdrive dropped the rpm from 3000 to about 2250 it really did quiet the cab down, as long as we were on flat ground performance with all that it had done to it, was fine, hit a hill, punch a dimmer switch type button on the floor, it would down shift and go right up about anything. We, as we do now nearly always tow a 6000lbs boat. The mileage never changed, it got 6.5 towing and around 7 not towing. Pretty much the same as stock, really did not change it at all. If you got in a big hurry it would drop to 5 - 5.5 in a second. The second MH was a 30' C on a E450 with a V-10 in it. No matter what, at 62 mph it got around 8 maybe 8.5. We stayed too long out on the West Coast one year and had to get home, I ran it 70-75 all the way home, it dropped to 7 or a little under, 6 in the mountains, we were not towing, or I am sure it would have been far worse. I now have a 2006 Kodiak with a 8.1 in it. Bougtht it in the fall of 07 with around 4500 miles on it. With all three of the Motor Homes I have done all that you can do to the suspension, the Kodiak included, but the engine, exhaust, ect, is stock and will be. It gets between 7 and 7.5 mpg, it does not seem to react much to weight. I have had around 10,000 lbs behind it, but usually 6000, if I am really heavy try to stay around 55mph. The mileage does not change enough to tell the difference I check it alot and keep an eye on the scan guage. I am pretty sure hills, speed, and wind are the enemy. I have traveled some with my brother in-law, he has a 2006 Endura 6331 with a Duramax in it. Its hard to compare because he is usually not towing and I have the boat or an ocasional horse trailer. We have tried to fill up together just to see the difference. He stays around 10.5 or slightly higher I am about 7 to 7.5 on the same tank. His MH is all stock, no tuner.
I have a tuner in a 2001 Ford Excursion Diesel. Have had it 10yrs, it got 15 to 17 mpg on the road and 10 towing around 10,000 lbs stock. Put the tuner it when it was a couple of years old. The mileage did not change at all. It did give it a bunch of extra power. I keep it set on the lowest setting. The intresting thing is, the computor in the truck reads the mileage 4 to 5 mpg higher than it does stock. It will read 19 to as high as 22mpg. When you check it, it is still getting 15 to 17.
On a different subject conserning suspension, in the old days the suspension parts where made by IPD, Road Master since bought them out. My Ford Motorhomes had all the IPD bars that were available to them, and Billistien Shocks, on the second one. I only drove the Kodiak once about 200 miles before I parked it and completely upgraded the suspension, but it drove way better stock, than the Fords drove with everything you could do with them, done. Not saying they were bad, just saying. As good as I thought the Kodiak drove, I hated the rythmatic rocking. At any rate I can really tell the difference when I drive my brother In-Laws stock Kodiak. I really think there is more to gain in the suspension than in the engine, over and above a tuner in the Diesels.
There is just no way around it, they are going to use fuel.
For What Its Worth
Doug

To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Saturday, January 7, 2012 12:01 PM
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: Latest milage for us -For What It Is Worth

Don,

with a gasser or diesel. I have an older GMC one-ton dually with a 454 gasser. It typically got 9 mpg no matter if I was towing five tons or if empty, and I couldn't understand why. Also, living in the mountains, it never seemed to have enough power for our 8,000 foot passes.

We tried all sorts of modifications on the intake and exhaust. Nothing ever made much difference as to mileage. So I did some searching on air fuel ratios for gasoline engines and found that the optimal air-fuel ratio is 14.7:1. I calculated the engine displacement of the 454 at 60 miles an hour and 3,000 rpm and found that with the gear ratios in the truck, the most I was ever going to get was about 9 mpg. Around town, it was going to be much worse. I ended up putting in a 27% overdrive and the mileage went up about 25% to 12 mpg.

What I took from this experience was that the laws of chemistry and physics control mileage. If the engine displaces so much volume, you have to have so much air and fuel to make the thing work. I think the best I can do is keep my engine clean and well maintained so that it is running at its highest efficiency and keep the RPMs down. I believe this is true for the Duramax.

Also, everyone knows speed affects mileage. But I had no idea how much until I looked into the wind resistance of MHs. For the most part, my 34SS is a big box with no aerodynamic features at all. From what I can tell, this is the most inefficient shape possible, at least from an aerodynamic point of view. It also appears that the air resistance is directly proportional to the square of the speed you are traveling. My calculator says that the resistance at 60 mph is four times the resistance at 30 mph, not double as you might think. Again if my calculator is correct, the resistance at 60 mph is 16% greater than at 55 mph. One might think that since 60 is only 5 mph (8%) faster than 55 the increased resistance might only be 8%. It looks like it is double that, at 16%. Again my calculator says that wind resistance goes up about 36% between 60 mph and 70 mph. What was really shocking and perhaps someone could check this, it looks like wind resistance goes up 63% between 55 mph and 70 mph. If this is true, it must affect mileage.

So it looks like all I can do is keep my rig well maintained and drive prudently. I don't feel too bad however, I have a friend who runs big rigs. He is always complaining that those, which are admittedly three times heavier than mine, only get 4-5 mpg.

Sherm

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 8244
I'm tempted to try this on the 8.1 someday...

http://www.brazelsrv.com/GM_CustomTune.htm

To: "KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com"
Sent: Saturday, January 7, 2012 12:29 PM
Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: Latest milage for us -For What It Is Worth

For What Its Worth,
Over the years I have spent countless hours, and thousands of dollars trying to improve fuel mileage on large pick up trucks, (tow vehicles) and motorhomes. I have found that improving overal performance is much easier than mileage. In 1988 I purchaced a 1987 26' C Motorhome on a E 350 Ford with a 460 engine, It had 4000 miles on it, I sold it 14 years later with about 75,000 on it. I added Hooker Headers, a Gear Venders Overdrive Transmission, changed Manifolds Carbs ect. I have always driven about 62 mph, the overdrive dropped the rpm from 3000 to about 2250 it really did quiet the cab down, as long as we were on flat ground performance with all that it had done to it, was fine, hit a hill, punch a dimmer switch type button on the floor, it would down shift and go right up about anything. We, as we do now nearly always tow a 6000lbs boat. The mileage never changed, it got 6.5 towing and around 7 not towing. Pretty much the same as stock, really did not change it at all. If you got in a big hurry it would drop to 5 - 5.5 in a second. The second MH was a 30' C on a E450 with a V-10 in it. No matter what, at 62 mph it got around 8 maybe 8.5. We stayed too long out on the West Coast one year and had to get home, I ran it 70-75 all the way home, it dropped to 7 or a little under, 6 in the mountains, we were not towing, or I am sure it would have been far worse. I now have a 2006 Kodiak with a 8.1 in it. Bougtht it in the fall of 07 with around 4500 miles on it. With all three of the Motor Homes I have done all that you can do to the suspension, the Kodiak included, but the engine, exhaust, ect, is stock and will be. It gets between 7 and 7.5 mpg, it does not seem to react much to weight. I have had around 10,000 lbs behind it, but usually 6000, if I am really heavy try to stay around 55mph. The mileage does not change enough to tell the difference I check it alot and keep an eye on the scan guage. I am pretty sure hills, speed, and wind are the enemy. I have traveled some with my brother in-law, he has a 2006 Endura 6331 with a Duramax in it. Its hard to compare because he is usually not towing and I have the boat or an ocasional horse trailer. We have tried to fill up together just to see the difference. He stays around 10.5 or slightly higher I am about 7 to 7.5 on the same tank. His MH is all stock, no tuner.
I have a tuner in a 2001 Ford Excursion Diesel. Have had it 10yrs, it got 15 to 17 mpg on the road and 10 towing around 10,000 lbs stock. Put the tuner it when it was a couple of years old. The mileage did not change at all. It did give it a bunch of extra power. I keep it set on the lowest setting. The intresting thing is, the computor in the truck reads the mileage 4 to 5 mpg higher than it does stock. It will read 19 to as high as 22mpg. When you check it, it is still getting 15 to 17.
On a different subject conserning suspension, in the old days the suspension parts where made by IPD, Road Master since bought them out. My Ford Motorhomes had all the IPD bars that were available to them, and Billistien Shocks, on the second one. I only drove the Kodiak once about 200 miles before I parked it and completely upgraded the suspension, but it drove way better stock, than the Fords drove with everything you could do with them, done. Not saying they were bad, just saying. As good as I thought the Kodiak drove, I hated the rythmatic rocking. At any rate I can really tell the difference when I drive my brother In-Laws stock Kodiak. I really think there is more to gain in the suspension than in the engine, over and above a tuner in the Diesels.
There is just no way around it, they are going to use fuel.
For What Its Worth
Doug

Sent: Saturday, January 7, 2012 12:01 PM

Don,

Sherm

Re: Latest milage for us - Denver

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 8245
Dave Sparke wrote:

We've stayed at Dakota Ridge in Golden a few times, then up at Longmont
at the state park there and last year we spent some time at Cherry Creek
State Park in Denver.

Cherry Creek was the nicest, but not the most convenient to the kids who
live in Thornton/Westminster area. The Longmont SP was the easiest drive
in, but it's so windy and open up there you can forget about sitting out
at all when we're there in May. Dakota Ridge is okay, but of course
pricier and not as convenient.

Last year when we were at Dakota Ridge the first day a guy two sites
down from us accidentally shot himself in his fifth wheel. He hit the
femoral artery and bled out before got from the bedroom to the
livingroom to make a call. None of us heard the shot and didn't know
until his wife walked in and found him. Much screaming and wailing and
police tape and interviews.....you get the drift. It shook my wife up
pretty good and she doesn't want to go back there yet.

We'll probably go to Cherry Creek for the week were there this year. I
can ride my bicycle on the trails and they have a nice r/c airplane
field where I can fly my planes too.

Take care,
Greg

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 8246
Chatfield is bike and RC airplane friendly, but it would definitely be too far from Thornton. Our son-in-law's parents live in Brighton so we have made that drive. Maybe we'll be there at the same time one of these years and can meet up for dinner someplace. Enjoy your visits..

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Greg Gimlick
Sent: Saturday, January 07, 2012 5:03 PM
Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] Latest milage for us - Denver

Dave Sparke wrote:

We've stayed at Dakota Ridge in Golden a few times, then up at Longmont
at the state park there and last year we spent some time at Cherry Creek
State Park in Denver.

Cherry Creek was the nicest, but not the most convenient to the kids who
live in Thornton/Westminster area. The Longmont SP was the easiest drive
in, but it's so windy and open up there you can forget about sitting out
at all when we're there in May. Dakota Ridge is okay, but of course
pricier and not as convenient.

Last year when we were at Dakota Ridge the first day a guy two sites
down from us accidentally shot himself in his fifth wheel. He hit the
femoral artery and bled out before got from the bedroom to the
livingroom to make a call. None of us heard the shot and didn't know
until his wife walked in and found him. Much screaming and wailing and
police tape and interviews.....you get the drift. It shook my wife up
pretty good and she doesn't want to go back there yet.

We'll probably go to Cherry Creek for the week were there this year. I
can ride my bicycle on the trails and they have a nice r/c airplane
field where I can fly my planes too.

Take care,
Greg

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 8247
I knew what you meant Bob (I did Google it and it looks like an I-9 is proposed for California)

I usually keep my speed at 65 when the speed limit allows. That's what Honda recommends as a max 4 down towing speed.

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 8249
Doug:

Glad to hear your experience is about the same as mine. I reached the same conclusions as to the drive train and the suspension on my 2007 34SS. There is much discussion on suspension upgrades on this site. I ended up putting four Koni shocks and two tracking bars. It helped a lot. My only thought is about a heavy duty anti-sway bar. I wonder how much it will help.

Sherm

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 8250
Is the 8.1 a diesel? If it is, you might want to check out a couple of diesel forums. Also, I found some service notices from GM warning dealers on engine warranty claims. Apparently you can dial up the engines to the point where the pistons and bearings are damaged. The notice had photos of damaged pistons and bearing. The engines had been chipped up to the point where one piston was burnt all the way through.

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 8251
The 8.1 is a gasser. The diesel can be turned up more easily than a gas engine. Yes it can be over done to the point of failure. If discretion is used in tuning, a good amount of power can be realized without damaging the mechanics. The Duramax is capable of a great deal of horsepower and torque with limiting factors being the transmission and driveline. The web sites that are available have a great deal of information that you can used to safely make HP and TQ. The trick with our heavy RVs is to keep it reasonable.
Denny

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 8252
Well i can say i have a 8.1lt Gasser and we just took a trip left Central Ca. and went to the Grand Canyon, Sidonia back to Williams than Vegas and back home. I can say that after reprogramming my 06 to a 6sp trans (it came with a 5sp) I did pick up 2mpg and it brought me up to 9.5-10 average and loves to cruise at 60- 70mph. I believe if I was just driving flat land and never climbing all the hills and grades I fell I would have done better. I do wish I did get a Diesel as I own a Duramax already but just could not justify the 30k price difference and coming from a 40ft DP you do fill the power difference.I got a very very good deal on the rig and I can buy a lot of fuel for the savings. I am going to reprogram the Gasser with EFIlive and see if I can get a little more out of her.

Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2012 08:19:15 -0700
Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: Latest milage for us -For What It Is Worth

The 8.1 is a gasser. The diesel can be turned up more easily than a gas engine. Yes it can be over done to the point of failure. If discretion is used in tuning, a good amount of power can be realized without damaging the mechanics. The Duramax is capable of a great deal of horsepower and torque with limiting factors being the transmission and driveline. The web sites that are available have a great deal of information that you can used to safely make HP and TQ. The trick with our heavy RVs is to keep it reasonable.
Denny

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 8253
Dave Sparke wrote:

Chatfield is bike and RC airplane friendly, but it would*definitely* be
too far from Thornton.

I looked it up and saw it's about another 10 miles or so out, but sure
looks to be a nice place.

Maybe we'll be there at the same time one of these
years and can meet up for dinner someplace.

That would be great! We're going to be there sometime in May this year
by the looks of things. The wives are still working out the timeframe.

Greg

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 8254
Sherm,
I have added the Koni Shocks, I added front and rear anti sway bars also. The sway bars in my mind are just as important as the shocks. The rear bar is an extra bar rear of the rear axel, the stock bar stays on the MH. I added the front also. I am not sure what did the most good as I did it all the same time. I had to make the front trac bar mount for the gas Kodiak, after I cut it out and mounted it I ran the motor home down the road to check for exhaust clearance after the pipe expanded from heat. Thats the only time I drove it while I started the upgrades. I can't remember what else I had already done when I pulled it out of the shed. I am not big on steering stabilisers, (somebody else will love them), but I believe anything else you do to it will make it some better, Some things more than others. I would think it depends on what your MH is, and what you see as a problem you would like to solve. If it were me based on my narrow view of things, I would go front anti sway bar, shocks, rear sway bar, rear trac bar, then front trac bar last. Some of the people have alot of tail wag. that would be rear trac bar, if it continues. then front trac bar, Some have body roll thats shocks, and sway bars, every thing has a different purpose. Some depends on how fast you drive it. I promise you all of it will work together, and make it more comfortable to drive. One thing I had that is seldom mentioned was a viberation at 62mph, right where I wanted to drive. I took it all over the place trying to get the tires and wheels balanced. I finally put on True Balance (I would call them shims), on the front wheels only, It was like magic the viberation was gone. My point is, that was my deal, everybody has a different one. Every MH I have had responded to suspension upgrades.
Doug

Sent: Sunday, January 8, 2012 9:38 AM

Doug:

Glad to hear your experience is about the same as mine. I reached the same conclusions as to the drive train and the suspension on my 2007 34SS. There is much discussion on suspension upgrades on this site. I ended up putting four Koni shocks and two tracking bars. It helped a lot. My only thought is about a heavy duty anti-sway bar. I wonder how much it will help.

Sherm

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 8257
Doug,

Thanks your the input. I am thinking the rear antisway bar will be my next upgrade. I have a Jayco 2007 34SS and it handles quite well with the Konis and the front and rear tracking bars. I too will probably not go with a steering stablizer as I think it treats the symptoms and not the disease. Also, the steering box seems quite tight as it is. Do you have a preference for a brand for a rear antisway bar?

Sherm

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 8259
Sherman,
I have only used Roadmaster, I have never had any trouble with them, but have nothing to compare them too either. I had to make a wrench to get to the upper bolts for the hangers on the rear bar, but the fit on the front and rear was fine. They have been on there for 4 years now, maybe 18.000 miles no complaints.
Doug

Sent: Sunday, January 8, 2012 6:27 PM

Doug,

Thanks your the input. I am thinking the rear antisway bar will be my next upgrade. I have a Jayco 2007 34SS and it handles quite well with the Konis and the front and rear tracking bars. I too will probably not go with a steering stablizer as I think it treats the symptoms and not the disease. Also, the steering box seems quite tight as it is. Do you have a preference for a brand for a rear antisway bar?

Sherm

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 8260
D Lemon

Where did you get your transmission reprogramed? I have been interested in having mine reprogramed.

Dan