Skip to main content
Topic: Front leaf spring clunking (Read 990 times) previous topic - next topic

Front leaf spring clunking

Yahoo Message Number: 8709
Anybody got a fix for front leaf springs clunk and slap when going over a bump in the road or turning lt or rt transitioning from one street to another? Anybody dealt with this problem on their Kodiak?
Denny

Front leaf spring clunking

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 8710
Anybody dealt with the clunking and slapping of the leaf springs while transitioning from street to street turning lt or rt.?
Denny

Re: Front leaf spring clunking

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 8712
Had my Seneca in shop when first purchased and was told this was normal on that chassis

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 8713
I have the same issue. Has anyone put front air bags on?? Did it help?
Chuck

Chuck & J J J

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 8714
I have the same clunk on my 2007. I read where the dealer says its normal. I don't buy that explanation. I would like to know the source. It seems to me that it can only get worse.

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 8715
Mine, I believe, has gotten worse and I also believe that contributed to the left front tire wear. I just put on a new set of Toyo 245 M 143s and would like to know what can be done to fix this. Even if it's normal (which I doubt) it's annoying.
Denny

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 8716
Dennis Bradford wrote:

Mine, I believe, has gotten worse and I also believe that contributed to
the left front tire wear. Even if it's normal
(which I doubt) it's annoying.

My 2007 has clunked since I bought it. I didn't know it was the front
leafs doing it though. I've never really been able to pinpoint where the
noise comes from but it's like someone hits the frame with a hammer by
the sound. I've looked for things in basement compartments that were
hitting something, but nope. I checked slide rails, etc and nothing is
loose.

If y'all say it's the leafs then at least I have some clue now. It sure
is loud when it happens.

Take care,
Greg

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 8718
If you level up on the jacks enough to just unload the front suspension, put a bar between the two springs near the front curl. Spread the springs and watch the bottom spring curl as it wraps around the top curl. It moves quite a bit on drivers side and makes the clunking sound we hear. The pass side isn't as bad on mine but does the same thing. Statically weight on with effort you can get some movement. Here's the thing though, as you are driving the spring packs are constantly loading and unloading. At the moment of unloading and hitting a bump you will get the clunk. This is more noticeable at lower speeds of course and while transitioning street to street. I can get the clunk at speed if the highway is rough enough. I got to do somthing.
Denny

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 8719
Not sure the spring would cause tire wear. I would find a good truck suspension shop. That would repair the spring pack bushings and do proper alignment on front end. Over on DP there is a thread on tweaking the front end of our trucks for better handling. If you were in my area I could give you a recommendation on a shop to do the repairs.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 8720
Dennis Bradford wrote:

If you level up on the jacks enough to just unload the front
suspension, put a bar between the two springs near the front curl.
Spread the springs and watch the bottom spring curl as it wraps
around the top curl. It moves quite a bit on drivers side and makes
the clunking sound we hear.

I've got to get mine out of storage and get it ready for the trip to
Colorado in May so I'll have it over here to do some work next week and
will try that. I'd be happy to know that's the sound at least.

It's definitely more pronounced at low speeds and transitioning in and
out of roads, driveways, etc so that makes sense.

Take care,
Greg

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 8721
Has anyone upgraded to Deaver springs up front? Wonder if this would cure the problem.
Lot of talk about them on the Diesel Forum. Not familiar with them myself.

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 8722
I somewhat agree with you. The spring bushings are good. The main spring curls are attached to the frame front and rear in bushings. The lower secondary spring curls around the main spring curl forward and lay on a nylon bearing on the bottom of the main spring. The clunking is coming from the front curl as far as I can tell. There is considerable clearance in the wrap around. The main spring seems quite secure. The tire wear was cupping and I now believe that can be attributed to a poor balance procedure. I have new Bilstiens installed last year that couldn't over come the lousy balance. The new tires were assembled with counteract beads and so far as I can tell the balance is very good.
Denny

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 8723
I'm going to look into the Deavers. One thing I don't want to do is raise the front end anymore than it is now. I don't need to through anymore weight aft.
Denny

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 8724
My 07 has done this since I bought it in 2008. It is created by the design of the spring and the load on it. When it unloads the leafs slap. I consider it part of driving a medium duty work truck with an extremely heavy load and poor spring design. It will not hurt anything but my ears.

Dan

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 8727

ditto!

To:;
Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: Front leaf spring clunking
Sent: Thu, Mar 22, 2012 3:17:29 PM

My 07 has done this since I bought it in 2008. It is created by the design of the spring and the load on it. When it unloads the leafs slap. I consider it part of driving a medium duty work truck with an extremely heavy load and poor spring design. It will not hurt anything but my ears.

Dan

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 8731
This describes the noise in mine perfectly. Thank you! It is so nice to know the source of the clunking. My MH is not available for me to look right now. Is this something a spring shop could repair? There is a spring shop near me that is very reasonable. Perhaps some reshaping of the front curl would fix it? What do you think? Thanks again for the great information.

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 8732
I went to a Chev dealer parts department to inquire about repair parts. I'm still researching options if there are any.
Denny

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 8744

We tried all sorts of cures, grease, packers, etc. with no luck, so we developed a truck suspension grade nylon silent block that mounts snuggly between the 2 springs, it reduces the clunk by 99%, in some cases 100%, Hundreds of kits sent to Australia with success eliminating the clunk, we have many kits still available, it was cheaper to manufacture in volume original cost $153 per kit, we can sell what we have to the group at $110 per kit until sold out, If anyone would like a kit or more info please email me at jdv@...
Thanks, Jack,

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 8745
Got more info/pictures for your product. I am sure the group would be interested.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 8746
Hi Ron,

Info Attached, Let me know your thoughts,

Jack,

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of ronjhallsr
Sent: Friday, March 23, 2012 5:50 PM
To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: Front leaf spring clunking

Got more info/pictures for your product. I am sure the group would be interested.
Best
Ron Hall

Re: Front leaf spring clunking [1 Attachment]

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 8748
If I understand it, we need two kits for our coach....right?

Take care,
Greg

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 8749
Attachments :

One kit per vehicle, Kit = 2 blocks,
    Jack,

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Greg Gimlick
    Sent: Friday, March 23, 2012 9:57 PM
    Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: Front leaf spring clunking

If I understand it, we need two kits for our coach....right?

Take care,

Greg

Reply #24
    Yahoo Message Number: 8750
    Ron, All I get is a blank screen when I open the attachment. Could you put the info in the files section.

Thanks Dave

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of ronjhallsr
    Sent: Friday, March 23, 2012 9:14 PM
    Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: Front leaf spring clunking

Looks good.
    Best
    Ron Hall

Reply #25
    Yahoo Message Number: 8751
    I put it in the file section. Contact Jack if you want one. His address is at end of manual. It took a minute or more for me to download the manual.
    Best
    Ron Hall