Skip to main content
Topic: Radiator fan failure (Read 989 times) previous topic - next topic

Radiator fan failure

Yahoo Message Number: 9444

After reading about it here, it has happened to me. My fan failed during an exhaust break activation, taking out the fan shroud, radiator, and cracking the paint in three spots on the hood where debris cracked the fiberglass. My RV is on a 2006 C5500 chassis with the duramax diesel LLY engine, and 21800 miles. Currently down in Ocala, FL awaiting parts. I can't wait to tally this expense into my summer vacation plans. Does anyone know if my insurance policy will cover any of the damage that was not a mechanical failure, mainly the hood, radiator and shroud? I have progressive, but have not called them.

Roger

Re: Radiator fan failure

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 9449
Mine failed about 3 years ago on the way to rally in Indiana. I also had a 2006 chassis. I heard from the US highway safety and wanted info and the fan
to be sent to them but haven't heard anymore since that time, dead issue I'm sure. Hopefully you have a extended warranty, mine covered the damages that I had. Still cringe when going up steep grades (that's when mine failed) !!!

To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thursday, July 12, 2012 10:02 PM
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Radiator fan failure

After reading about it here, it has happened to me. My fan failed during an exhaust break activation, taking out the fan shroud, radiator, and cracking the paint in three spots on the hood where debris cracked the fiberglass. My RV is on a 2006 C5500 chassis with the duramax diesel LLY engine, and 21800 miles. Currently down in Ocala, FL awaiting parts. I can't wait to tally this expense into my summer vacation plans. Does anyone know if my insurance policy will cover any of the damage that was not a mechanical failure, mainly the hood, radiator and shroud? I have progressive, but have not called them.

Roger

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 9450
Gary, close but no cigar. We departed for the rally on July 14, 2010. So, 2 years ago. :)

My problem wasn't as serious of course. After our session at Jayco when I raised the fridge door problems and said I was lucky, mine fell off the next day.

I recently learned that a lot of MH manufacturers had that problem with the Norcold. The Winnie guys had a long thread on the problem back then as well.

Anyone else lost a door lately?

Don

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 9451
I understand Gary's thinking. 2010, 2011, 2012 = 3years. LOL
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 9452
That just reinforces the fact that it wasnot caused by the wood panel on the door. It was just a bad design

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Don Leslie
Sent: Friday, July 13, 2012 10:50 PM
Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] Radiator fan failure

Gary, close but no cigar. We departed for the rally on July 14, 2010. So, 2 years ago. :)

My problem wasn't as serious of course. After our session at Jayco when I raised the fridge door problems and said I was lucky, mine fell off the next day.

I recently learned that a lot of MH manufacturers had that problem with the Norcold. The Winnie guys had a long thread on the problem back then as well.

Don

On 2012-07-13, at 8:20 PM, Gary Myers wrote:

Mine failed about 3 years ago on the way to rally in Indiana. I also had a 2006 chassis. I heard from the US highway safety and wanted info and the fan

to be sent to them but haven't heard anymore since that time, dead issue I'm sure. Hopefully you have a extended warranty, mine covered the damages that I had. Still cringe when going up steep grades (that's when mine failed) !!!

center
To:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com

Roger

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 9453
Ours failed too about 3 years ago in Southern California. Going up a steep grade towing about 6K on a trailer and about 105 degrees outside. Wiped out shroud, tranny lines and lower radiator hose but no hood damage. After towing to a truck repair in Colton, it sat there for over 6 weeks while they tried to find a new shroud. None could be found. They finally had to get GM to authorize the shop to re fabricate the existing one. Ours is a 2006 Dutchman 35' and warranty had just expired within months, had less than 20K miles on it. GM replaced the parts and our extended warranty covered the rest (except the $350 plane tickets to fly back to Cal from Phx to bring it home). We too cringe every time we go somewhere in the heat (still live in Phx, AZ) and up a grade. Good luck with yours. I would like to hear if parts are available now...

To: "KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com"
Sent: Friday, July 13, 2012 5:20 PM

Roger

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 9454
On 7/14/2012 10:30 AM, Mike E. wrote:

Ours failed too about 3 years ago in Southern California. Going up a
steep grade towing about 6K on a trailer and about 105 degrees outside.

Are you a diesel or gas engine?

Don, I don't remember your fan failing.....now you have me worried.

Take care,
Greg

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 9455

Has anyone done a retro for to a layer model's fan or an electric high volume fan. I'm seriously considering doing something.
Denny

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 9456
Sorry about the spelling.  Fat fingers.
Dennis Bradford ;
To:
KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com ; stuff@... ;
Subject:
Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] Radiator fan failure
Sent:
Sat, Jul 14, 2012 3:15:34 PM
Has anyone done a retro for to a layer model's fan or an electric high volume fan.  I'm seriously considering doing something.
Denny
Greg Gimlick ;
To:
;
Subject:
Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] Radiator fan failure
Sent:
Sat, Jul 14, 2012 3:08:07 PM

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 9457
Greg, it didn't. The door fell off of our fridge. :(

I was lucky we were in Elkhart as I made contact with Jayco's service mgr and they had a new Norcold door installed on Monday after we had McCormick do the annual service.

Don

ps. I find these fan episodes frustrating even though I had a gasser. That just shouldn't happen and GM really should be standing behind its products in cases like this. I can understand why people may travel with the fingers crossed. That is how we travel towing the Escape given the number that have burned out transmissions. Our has been towed for more than 5000 miles (Florida and back twice for starters) but you still keep your fingers crossed. Tough to hold on to the steering wheel.

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 9458
Don Leslie wrote:

Greg, it didn't. The door fell off of our fridge. :(

Oh yeah, I remember that. My first door was replaced under warranty when
it fell off too. Then we got the brackets and all has been well
since.....almost. The plastic inner liner on the door with the molded
tabs where the shelves slide on has broken. It's the tabs for the bottom
shelf where naturally the big half gallon milk bottles go along with the
big wine bottles. I should know better than to load it like it is, but
oh well.

Now I need another door because it seems that molded inner liner isn't
available for a part, or at least I can't find it. The contact we used
for the brackets at Norcold is no longer there either so I have no help
I can tap into now.

ps. I find these fan episodes frustrating even though I had a gasser.

I worry it will happen to mine, but so far so good.

That just shouldn't happen and GM really should be standing behind its
products in cases like this.

This is GM we're talking about here :-) Of course Ford should have stood
behind the diesel I had blow years ago rather than just offer to replace
it "free" as long as I paid the $5000 for the engine. The labor was
"free". I turned it into a Chevy truck and haven't owned a Ford since.
Of course right now I'd choose a Ford if I was buying another tow
vehicle so all things go full circle :-)

given the number that have burned out transmissions. Our has been towed
for more than 5000 miles

I've dragged my Saturn Vue for 35,000 miles behind the Kodiak so far and
so far it's been okay. I hope that streak continues.

Take care,
Greg

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 9459
Sorry, we have the Diesel, no engine/trans mods.

Also just fixed our Norcold fridge door again. First time replaced by warranty, this time, made new hinge bar mounted to bottom of door as done by others. Works great and will last...

Sent: Saturday, July 14, 2012 8:08 AM

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 9460
The changed the fan design at least in 08, ours is nylon. Also the tab on
our fridge door also broke on one side so I just drilled holes into the side
of the plastic shelf and put screws in. Works fine.

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 9462
I would like to know if anyone has used the newer nylon fan on a 2006 chasis. Will it fit? What is the part number?
I think I will change fans before mine comes apart.

Dan

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 9464
Break starts near the center hub. Blades break off at the hub. You can put a light near the hub and see light coming through where cracks start.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 9466
Yeah ..... time flies !!!!!

Sent: Saturday, July 14, 2012 6:39 AM
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: Radiator fan failure

I understand Gary's thinking. 2010, 2011, 2012 = 3years. LOL
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 9467

I do not have the part number with me for the replacement fan. When I get the paperwork, I will post what it is.

Roger

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 9468

The majority of my blades were still ok, but the outer ring connecting them was completely gone. A few blade tips were missing a little more than others, but clearly my our connecting ring was the main breaking point of the fan. In fact, the first mechanic to look said the fan doesn't appear to be that badly damaged. Then I informed him the entire ring was missing.

Roger

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 9475
The wood panel does not help: its heavy too. Add to that a lot of liquids in the door and its really heavy!!!

Somehow I ended up with the incorrect metal helper bracket. My fridge opens LEFT TO RIGHT - Hinges on the right when facing it.

If anyone ended up with the opposite bracket I would like it - and send send mine out to someone that needs a LEFT one.

Drop me a note of you have an extra for the right side hinge or if you need a left side.

I did get a new replacement door from Norcold.

Be well,

~
Victor - KI6IM
Kodiak Diesel Dutchmen 34H Bunkhouse

Sent: Saturday, July 14, 2012 5:39 AM
Subject: RE: [KodiakChassisClassC] Radiator fan failure

That just reinforces the fact that it wasnot caused by the wood panel on the door. It was just a bad design

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Don Leslie

Don

center

Roger

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 9476
The door is indeed heavy.

I usually travel with nothing on the door or only light stuff. I take a cooler with bottles and cans and at the destination I fill fridge usually inside at the bottom, few on door.
It may seem work, but really not once I got used to it became second nature, hopefully that would extend life of the door and fridge.
Thanks
Mo
Sent on the Sprint® Now Network from my BlackBerry®

Sender: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 08:30:16 -0700 (PDT)
ReplyTo: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com

The wood panel does not help: its heavy too. Add to that a lot of liquids in the door and its really heavy!!!

Somehow I ended up with the incorrect metal helper bracket. My fridge opens LEFT TO RIGHT - Hinges on the right when facing it.

If anyone ended up with the opposite bracket I would like it - and send send mine out to someone that needs a LEFT one.

Drop me a note of you have an extra for the right side hinge or if you need a left side.

I did get a new replacement door from Norcold.

Be well,

~
Victor - KI6IM

Sent: Saturday, July 14, 2012 5:39 AM
Subject: RE: [KodiakChassisClassC] Radiator fan failure

Don

center

Roger

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 9491
As I understand it the fan clutch in the 08 is ECM controlled. My question is will the nylon fan from that clutch fit on the thermostatically controlled clutch? If it will then it would be a great mod to do and eliminate the possibility of a major failure of the earlier fans.
Denny

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 9492
What the problem is with the thermo fans is the goo inside fails, the clutch seizes up, the fan is spinning fast and WHAM! Objects in motion like to stay in motion...it shatters.

I cannot imagine and substance that would stay together.

Be well,

~
Victor - KI6IM

Sent: Wednesday, July 18, 2012 9:14 AM
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: Radiator fan failure

As I understand it the fan clutch in the 08 is ECM controlled. My question is will the nylon fan from that clutch fit on the thermostatically controlled clutch? If it will then it would be a great mod to do and eliminate the possibility of a major failure of the earlier fans.
Denny

Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 9493
There are millions of vehicles on the road today and the majority of them older with thermostatically controlled fans. Why are we not hearing of or experiencing fan failures in those many cars and trucks? It seems that the fans in our 04 to 06 kodiaks and topkicks are having an excessive amount of failures in my opinion. If the later model fan can be fit to the earlier model clutch wouldn't that be a plus for us? Just sayin.
Denny