Skip to main content
Topic: Nexus Super c (Read 1861 times) previous topic - next topic

Nexus Super c

Yahoo Message Number: 14177
Hi All,
We are new to the group We have had many rv's over the years, and are now considering a super c. We want to stay with something under 34' and preferably closer to 30'. Has anyone out there had any experience with the Nexus products. We are contemplating the 32' or 33c Phantom. Both are on the Terra Star chassis. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks Dan & Carole

Re: Nexus Super c

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 14178
Welcome to The Super C Group.
There are not many post on the Nexus Phantom MH yet. But you post may bring some out.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 15966
Hi Dan & Carole. We just bought a 2018 Phantom 33SC on April 17, 2017. Just a few points to consider when buying any manufactures motor home. All motor homes are built about the same, the quality does not compare to a $35,000 car or truck. Now spend $150,000 + and it's amazing how poor the quality is. RV manufacturing must NOT be held to the same 'higher' standards as automobile manufactures. That law needs to be changed. I know that when you buy a MH, you are buying a MOVING house, however where 2 inch screws are needed, don't use 1/2 inch screws. Don't used stripped screw holes, etc. etc.

We worked with Nexus for more than a year. We originally wanted the Phantom 33SC but were worried about the TerraStar chassis. We leaned towards the Viper 29V because of the 3 slide outs etc. We wanted 2 air conditioners that required a larger generator and 50 amp service in the Viper. We compared the weights of EVERYTHING, larger generator, second air conditioner, larger 50 amp cable vs 30 amp cable etc.etc.

We had concerns about the vehicle total weight. WE WERE ASSURED BY 4 different Nexus employees that the WEIGHT OF THE VEHICLE was WITH FULL Water, FULL Gas or Diesel and FULL Propane. What is supposedly left is what we can carry. Passengers, Food, Luggage and Tools. They even sent me 3 other (past) builds convincing us that there was 1800-2200 lbs. left for C.C.C. WITH FULL WATER.

After looking into the TerraStar reported problems. We felt okay with the TerraStar being used in a MH. Most of the problems with the TerraStar was because they were used in School buses, Construction vehicles and other vehicles that did a LOT OF IDLING, STOP AND GO, ALL City type driving. NOT GOOD ON Diesels that don't use DEF.

So we opted back to the Phantom 33SC with the TerraStar and Walk around FULL Queen bed. Once again, I figured and was assured that Diesel was Stronger, and Better all around for towing, able to carry more weight etc.etc. Again I was provide with the weights of other Phantoms 32 & 33SC. All with FULL water? Gas and Propane. IT WAS ABOUT THE SAME C.C.C. as the Viper, so we opted for the 10,000 towing and Diesel.

Conclusion: We picked up our New Phantom 33SC, stayed at Nexus parking lot, hooked up to 50 amp service with FULL propane and FULL water for 3 days. We brought 125-150 lbs of things with us (we weighed it). We decide to take it for a short ride before we head back to Wisconsin towing our car. So I said,"lets find a CAT scale" and weigh it. Linda and I weigh in at 340 lbs. My dog at 12 lbs. and OUR thing at 125-150 lbs. FULL water, Full gas and Full propane. WE WEIGHED IN AT 19,620 lbs. 120 lbs. more than the chassis can take. Remember that water weighs about 70 +6 = 76x8.3 lbs = 630.8 lbs. Even if we carried 1/3 fresh water, that would only leave us about 400 lbs- 500 lbs for clothes, food, tools, grand kids etc.etc.

They (Nexus) blamed our 100 lbs more Entertainment center and our 50-75 lbs more Recliners vs the normal sleeper couch.

Note: Before we signed the papers, we asked for the weight of OUR Phantom, which was printed out. The Nexus finance, closer person said" Oh yes, It's With Full Water , Full Propane and Full Diesel", so we signed the papers ! IT DID NOT INCLUDE FULL WATER, AND IT wasn't even our Phantom. It could NOT have been ours. You must Remember that we have discussed this and have documentation of everything for over a year.

We had water leaking problems on the way home, we called from IL. no response, other problems with no response to 6 emails to the Service department, Our 3rd Sales guy (2 no longer work at Nexus), left 4 voice mails etc. No response.

Yes I talked to Dave Middleton before we left, to no avail except he WARNED me about slandering Nexus. I said the TRUTH is NOT Slander. After all the money we spent, we have to live with our mistake. We hope you don't. NO DEALER to complain to either. Something to think about.

Ken & Linda Smith WI.

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 15967
Ken and Linda--I bought 2016 32 SC--have 40000 miles and no issues at all with terra star--have not had to do regeneration at all! Let it warm up good each time like 5 or 10 minutes and longer if cold out . Also go easy first few miles let trans fluid warm up. Also run tires at max pressure even tho makes rougher ride. The nexus part I call the box--is another story-but it will get better and you are fairly close to factory so makes it better! No problems with Ac s, heater. Appliances etc. microwave makes lot of rattling noise . Did have cab water leaks tho. Let me know if can help. Dave evans

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 15968
Dave, when did you do your first oil change? 2nd one? How is your weight ratio? Thanks, Ken

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 15969
Around 7500 and then 10000 or so. Had international do it twice and I did it once(using synthetic and went 15000). Not sure about weight ratio--you mean front to rear?

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 15970
How much does your rig weigh? WE HAVE TO WATCH OUR FRESH WATER or we will be over 19,500 . Thanks for the oil change info. Did I read that you added 'Air Spring Helpers?' Any chassis modifications?
Ken Smith

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 15971
I feel your pain. I was looking at the Dynamax 5 Series on a 19500# Ram chassis. I wanted to tow a trailer with 600# tongue weight but figured I'd have to move cargo to the trailer, run dry and fill/drump water at every stop. I talked to the sales rep but unlike your experience, he was very honest and well understood the issue. He said customers want the quality in the rig, larger refers, quality cabinetry/counter-tops, tile floors, larger generators, more batteries, solar panels, etc. - those things weigh. Dynamax has other, albeit more expensive options on a Freightliner chassis (e.g., Force, DX3). I couldn't afford those so I bought a 2007 Seneca 34SS on a 22000# Kodiak C5500 HD frame. I now have plenty of CCC but the GCVW is limited to 26000#. Fortunately my loaded MC trailer is about 4000# and my toad about 3400#, so I am good. But the listed 8000# hitch is a joke because the dry weight (no water or propane) is 18400#. Got to check the numbers on what you want to do... BTW, the numbers for your rig on on the driver door or behind a cabinet door - mine are on both. That's before anything your local dealer installed. I believe that's a requirement.

Funny thing is, look at what's rolling down the road, especially near race tracks or equestrian events. RVs I know have little towing weight or enough CCC for the tongue weight pulling 20' trailers - no way are those under manufacturers limits! I read in some forums people were beefing up the hitch. I even had a sales person give me that pitch. But that doesn't increase the CCC or GCVW. Only answer for those is another rig.

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 15972
Weight is a common problem with Super C's. My 2004 is very close on weight. 19.5k chassis is rated at 13.5k rear axle. But with a full load of water. Weight is 500llbs over. At least GM made all the chassis the same up to 22k. with a 15k rear axle. The only difference was the rear springs. I added air bags to pickup the extra weight capacity. I still do not carry full water. As this tank is at very back of MH. This takes weight off front axle and can affect front handling.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 15973
Not all Super C are over weight. I have a Nexus Ghost 36DS which is on a International Durastar chassis which has a 25,999# GVWR. My rig laded ready to go weighs 23240# . So as you can see I have plenty of capacity left over on it. I also have the capability of having a 20,000# rated hitch. I opted for the 10,000# receiver as I knew I would never need more than that.

I feel for the original poster but you have to know or understand that anytime you get a rig that has only 19,500# rating it is going to be a close call. Also he is figuring 6# per gallon of water and he is off by over 2# on the weight. Water is 8.3# per gallon. So with the 75 gallon tank you have added 622.5# with a full tank of water.

Again I feel for the OP as it sounds like he was lied to all the way through the process of getting his new rig but he could of requested for Nexus to run his rig across their scales before he signed the papers. They have scales just across from their delivery room. Not more than 200' feet away. He should of made this a condition of the sale for him yo see the actual weight for his self. Nexus does seem to go through sales persons fast. I know my original salesman went back to a previous job. His previous employer offered him a big pay raise to come back. Then my second one was gone by the time I picked up my unit,

There is the old saying "Trust but verify", I know we shouldn't have to do this but in today's times we have to look out for our selves.

I not a drum beater for Nexus but they took care of every problem I have had. They even have gone to the extent of sending me parts for the chassis and I took it into the International dealer and had them installed at their cost. This was to take care of a leaning problem with the air bags,

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 15974
my 2007 Kodiak greyhawk 33ds gas motor weighs in at 18,000lbs. loaded with a CCC of 26,000ldbs. giving me 8,000 lbs. for towing the rock crawler and trailer
I went to the truck scales and got a print out with both.

On Thursday, May 18, 2017 6:22 AM, "butch.evans@... [SuperCrvgroup]"  wrote:

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 15975
Ken--I just don't carry but a few gals of water. Did put on Sumosprings by Supersprings (talk to Gerry) Rides much better and helps with side winds. Also put on Steersafe steer stabilizer. Am looking into the Morryde suspension system which they have been putting on ambulances. Anyone out there have any experience with!

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 15977
Agreed. I looked at a 2008 Greyhawk Kodiak. . It was a good option and seriously considered it. I just liked the Duramax and was only towing 4000# anyways, I get 9 mpg. Your rig is rare and will definitely hold its value.

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 15978
I have a 10000# rated hitch, which is meaningless because of my combined vehicle weight limit. You don't mention that in your response. Do you know your GCVW limit? I'm sure you're good just helping those reading make sure they check this.

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 15979
Ken,

Sorry I misread your original post on the weight of water.

I do have to say it sure sounds like there was a lot of lying going on on their end, I'm sorry for your bad experience.

As far as problems I would call and talk to Jim Deavers if you haven't already. He is the service manger and I have been working with him and my experience with Jim has been good. Use the service number of 1 844 348 6765 X 123.

I hope you can get your issues with your rig straightened out.

Butch

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 15980
gcvw is 26,000 lbs. and yes its a 10,000 lbs hitch

On Thursday, May 18, 2017 8:15 AM, "Phil pal1955@... [SuperCrvgroup]"  wrote:

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 15981
On May 18, 2017 7:22 AM, " [SuperCrvgroup]"  wrote:

Not all Super C are over weight. I have a Nexus Ghost 36DS which is on a International Durastar chassis which has a 25,999# GVWR. My rig laded ready to go weighs 23240# . So as you can see I have plenty of capacity left over on it. I also have the capability of having a 20,000# rated hitch. I opted for the 10,000#  receiver as I knew I would never need more than that.

I feel for the original poster but you have to know or understand that anytime you get a rig that has only 19,500# rating it is going to be a close call. Also he is figuring 6# per gallon of water and he is off by over 2# on the weight. Water is 8.3# per gallon. So with the 75 gallon tank you have added  622.5# with a full tank of water.

Again I feel for the OP as it sounds like he was lied to all the way through the process of getting his new rig but he could of requested for Nexus to run his rig across their scales before he signed the papers. They have scales just across from their delivery room. Not more than 200' feet away. He should of made this a condition of the sale for him yo see the actual weight for his self. Nexus does seem to go through sales persons fast. I know my original salesman went back to a previous job. His previous employer offered him a big pay raise to come back. Then my second one was gone by the time I picked up my unit,

There is the old saying "Trust but verify", I know we shouldn't have to do this but in today's times we have to look out for our selves.

I not a drum beater for Nexus but they took care of every problem I have had. They even have gone to the extent of sending me parts for the chassis and I took it into the International dealer and had them installed at their cost. This was to take care of a leaning problem with the air bags,

Re: Nexus Super c [1 Attachment]

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 15982
That weight sticker is for a MH on a 2008 Freightliner Columbia 120 with a 12.8L L6 diesel (Benz diesel I believe) with tandem axles. Torque is around 1600 ft lbs.

Butch, I'd very much like to know what the GCWR is on the plate on your MH.

We bought the Kodiak gasser so we could tow a Tahoe. The Duramax version with 22,000 lb GVWR could not tow it if DW loaded it up to the GVWR. The only other approach with the Duramax is to fill everyone

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 15983
Dave, where did you have Steersafe installed ? NM ? Do you have a number for Gerry (Sumosprings)?
Thank you very much for your help.

We are NOT young, however we are taking care of my 95 year old father and 90 year old mother, both in Hospice now. I'm telling you this because we have some time at home to get ready to start OUR Journey. Like to get everything (we know of) ready now instead of later.

I know that the steering and Suspension means a LOT. We had some issues with other MH (Navion) which required Hellwig sway bar etc.

Thanks again.

Ken & Linda Smith

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 15984
Don,

I don't have any GCWR on the placard but my rear GAWR ia 19,200 with a front GAWR of 10,000. Looking on International web site it shows that the Durastar GVWR rating is 23.500 to 44,600 and a GCW of 66,000. The GCW is for all models not just one specific model. They use the Durastar in a semi setup. The Durastar has an Allison 3000 series trans that is rated for up to 1440 ft # of torgue and 350 hp. It has air brakes with rear air ride suspension.

I think the limitation on the 5500 being 26,000# GCWR is the Allison 1000 that they used in the truck.

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 15985
I understand what you are saying but I don't think that covers your vehicle. Which engine do you have - the ISB or ISC. If it is the ISB I'd have trouble believing the GCWR is 66,000 lbs. - I looked at the IH site and noticed those numbers as well - not very informative. The ISB with 350 hp and 750 torque and a GCWR of 66,000 lbs sure would be tough to imagine.

Surely Nexus provided the GCWR? If not, IMO they are negligent. I could not see it on their web site either.

In the rear bedroom closet of our Kodiak we had a weight sticker that detailed everything including GCWR. They even describe the form in the manual. It addressed the weight of water, fuel, propane, etc. and included the silly 154 lbs per person (when not filled with helium).

Makes me wonder if there could be a legal issue. Without knowing the GCWR how does one determine the maximum weight that can be towed? Certainly not by the rating of the receiver.

I have a 2016 Ford Expedition EL Platinum and the manual has an extensive section on weight including towing with and without the heavy duty towing package and with and without a weight distributing hitch. My DW's 2017 Escape has the same info.

I think what the RV industry needs is an ombudsperson.

Don

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 15986
Don,

I have no data sheet on the inside of the coach showing how much it weighs and all of the capacities. I do have a weight slip from when it came off the line. I have also wondered why I don't have a Data sheet posted in a closet or some place. Every other rig I have had in the last number of years has had that sticker.

I know what your are saying about the GVW of 66,000#. There is no way I would try to tow anything 40,000#. For that kind of weight I would want air brakes on the trailers which means I would have to have glad hands to handle the air. But all I can see that is what International is saying. In the GVW they show the variables on GVW but under the GCW they don't show a range or GVW.

Also if you look at this location

https://www.internationaltrucks.com/trucks/durastar

On the Options and Specs and under configuration it is showing the GVW of 23,500# to 37,000# Low cab with a 66,000 GCW. All I can say per International it is giving it this rating. I have the 6.7 ISB. They don't offer the ISC, The other engines offerings are a Cummins L9 or a Naviastar N9 engines.

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 15987
I also have a 2017 Nexus Ghost 36DS. I have had multiple conversations with service at Nexus regarding the GCWR & the person I have spoke with doesn't fully understand it & hasn't taken the time to discuss with someone else or research. I'm hoping while at the factory in June to obtain that information.

Jim Culp

Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 15988
Jim, I too have tried to get a clear picture of the weight issues. I think my wife and I opened up a can of worms back on April 17 when we bought our Phantom 33SC. If you read my original post, with our personal 125 lbs, Full water, Full Gas and Full propane and Linda and I, we were 120 lbs over the 33sc 19,500. We weighed 19,620 lbs. No clothes, no food, no blankets, no grill, etc etc NO Grand-kids. We then emptied the water, black and grey tanks. Leaving our 125 lbs personal things intact BUT no LInda and Ken, the 33SC weighed 18,640.

Add us back in, 18,640 + 350 = 18,990 19,500 gvwr - 18,990 = 510 lbs. That's 510 lbs for water and everything else. 1/3 water (about 25 gallons) 207.5 lbs. leaving 300 lbs. FOR EVERYTHING ELSE.

Our yellow sticker on the drivers door says 1550 lbs. CCC. Take out Linda and I, leaves 1200 lbs. That is a far cry from what is real and 'what' the WRONG sticker says.

The can of worms??? We seen them take 3 other Phantoms SC, drain the water and re weigh them and also re weighed 2 Vipers.

In Conclusion: We tried talking to Dave Middleton (Co-Owner) about the weight issue and the fact that the Yellow Sticker indicating CCC were all wrong. He said "It's just a Number that International came up with" "They " International) could change it" We said, "Then CHANGE IT". Internationals GVWR is 19,500. The CCC on the yellow sticker is NEXUS responsibility.

Good luck in June, I assume that you are talking about their Rally. We opted out because of all these issues with weight and service.

Ken & Linda