Skip to main content
Topic: House/RV batteries (Read 778 times) previous topic - next topic

House/RV batteries

Yahoo Message Number: 14181
Again, this is my first self contained RV. YEARS OF BUMPER PULLS AND 5th wheels GONE.
My question is this: are house/RV batteries being charged while driving or are they being charged when RV is plugged into landline electricity?
If batteries are being charged while driving, does "Toggle Switch" have to be in ON position while driving?
My used 2006 Gulfstream Endura-6378, came with next to no directions on how to do anything.
I do know, all 6 tires replaced due to age, all fluids, filters changed and 2 truck batteries changed as well as 2 house batteries.

Also, somewhere, I read on here that the Rearend gear lune came from factory with synthetic gear lube. Due to weight of RV and towing capacity, I was shocked it only required 75W-90 gear lube. The fluid put into GM trucks is nicknamed "grape juice" It is a 75w-90 lube. But even at the pickup truck weight, GM recommends changing at first 1,000 miles. Even at the mileage in a 2500HD,/3500HD, when you open fill nut first(always take off fill nut first, makes it easier to refill, then take out drain-plug, you will see PURPLE GLITTER. This is the gear lube plus metal fines from gear breaking. By the way, At GM DEALER, Grape Juice is mere $29.95 per quart!!!!!

I used Amsoil Severe Gear 75-90 Gear Lube.

Thanks, Bruce Roberts

Re: House/RV batteries

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 14182
Your coach batteries should charge when engine is running. If battery switch needs to be on I am not sure. My switch is always on.
There is no comparison between rear axle on our Kodiak's and a 3500. It will take several gallons to fill rear end with lube.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 14183

There is no comparison between rear axle on our Kodiak's and a 3500. It will take several gallons to fill rear end with lube.

It should take about 16 pints. I'll attach a data sheet for the Dana 110

Greg

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 14185
The Gulfstream Supernova is on an IH 4200 chassis, not GM Kodiak. I am pretty sure it has an Eaton rear axle assy, I think is called a model 50, but don't go by my memory. I know my rear axle does not look like the Dana 110 Ron posted. I have a Supernova, although mine is the shorter 34 ft version, but same chassis far as I know. The IH chassis is full 26K GVWR, I was under impression the Kodiak was less, but maybe the Kodiak is the same 26K?

I will agree with Ron it has much larger gear oil capacity than a std 1-ton. Also from my memory, the correct lube is just std 80W-90, or synthetic is 75W-90.

Re: the batteries and charging: all four (2 coach and 2 chassis) will be charged when engine is running. The switch Bruce is referring to is the bypass switch on dash I believe? It is momentary and has to be held on. My understanding is it is used if the coach batteries are too low to start generator, it allows current from chassis batteries to cross over. It has nothing to do with the charging. If you were ever in a situation that the coach batteries were that low, I would start the engine first, and let it run for a few minutes, then have someone activate the switch while you start the generator. Hope that helps, Terry

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 14186
OP is asking about a Endura not a Super Nova. But I am sure it take a good amount to fill the Super Nova's rear axle also.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 14187
I was referring to toggle switch on left side of stairwell. When I shutdown and store, I shut switch off. When I startup, I open door, go start truck, then comeback to turn toggle on and wala, the stairs open.
The switch Chevy 38 is referring to, I was told was to boost truck batteries if extra power needed. On my 2006 GulfstreamEndura-6378, that switch is on just above drivers door.

As far as rear end capacity, I pumped a bit more then 4 qts into rear end, NOT GALLONS, that's what surprised me that a heavier gear lube-75w-90 is not called for.
Bruce

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 14188
No way the rear end on my RV took 16 pts. That's 2 gallons. I was lucky to get 4.5 qts in there. I wish it did hold 2 gallons@75w-90. With weight of vehicle itself plus 10,000 lbs towing capacity, that a lot of weight for that weight gear lube.

Bruce

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 14189
Guess I need to learn how to read! You are right, Endura was listed in orig msg.

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 14190
I did not even think about Super Nova. Because he was asking about a 2006. In later years there were a few Endua's built on the International chassis.
Best
Ron Hall