Skip to main content
Topic: Window gaskets (Read 1853 times) previous topic - next topic

Window gaskets

Yahoo Message Number: 14286
Looking at the coach after the winter noticed several of the black rubber gaskets on the windows have shrunk and pulled way in one (or more) of the corners.

Any way to avoid this?

GJ

Re: Window gaskets

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 14287
Keep it out of the sun. You can purchase replacement gaskets from various suppliers.
Best
Ron Hall

Toilet odor

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 14288
Seems we went down this road a year or so back, but I can't remember for sure. I'm getting an odor from the toilet, but the seal is holding water and not leaking down. It almost seems to come up from behind the toilet which doesn't make a lot of sense since the Thetford Aqua 5 doesn't use the overflow drain with p-trap the earlier ones did. So, could this be the floor seal needing replacement? The roof vent looks clear.

Take care,
Greg

___

Re: Toilet odor

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 14290
On Mar 26, 2015, at 10:02 AM, ''  [SuperCrvgroup]  wrote:

When we had our DESIGNER the floor flange pipe cracked, the one that attached the flange to the tank.

Yikes, that had to be a project! Did you fix it yourself? I would think the tank would have to be dropped.

Take care,
Greg

, ___

Considering a toilet upgrade

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 14303
Since I've got to change the seal under the toilet, I'm considering dumping the old Thetford Aqua V and upgrading to a china bowl unit. I'd love to go to a full oblong residential size like the Dometic, but I'm not sure I can afford to lose 4 inches between the front of the bowl and the facing wall. Right now there's 19" which is close enough so I don't know if 15" will feel awfully crowded. I'd also have to reconfigure the water line.

Anybody changed out their toilet?

Take care,
Greg

Re: Considering a toilet upgrade

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 14304
I cannot remember what I changed mine out to? it was tall and quite luxurious. cheaper than changing the seal on the old one. full porcelain etc. if I find the recipet I will post the model.

~

Victor Burns
KI6IM
Embark TB390 Bunkhouse

Date:Sat, Mar 28, 2015 at 2:09 PM
Subject:[SuperCrvgroup] Considering a toilet upgrade

Since I've got to change the seal under the toilet, I'm considering dumping the old Thetford Aqua V and upgrading to a china bowl unit. I'd love to go to a full oblong residential size like the Dometic, but I'm not sure I can afford to lose 4 inches between the front of the bowl and the facing wall. Right now there's 19" which is close enough so I don't know if 15" will feel awfully crowded. I'd also have to reconfigure the water line.

Take care,
Greg

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 14305
I went with the dometic elongated tall porcelain. Had to re-route water line but worth it. Haven't had one problem with it it's been installed about 1.5 yrs. old toilet keep leaking

Larry Payne  ⛳

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 14306
Well,

So I am supporting a race (Bandera 100K)- in some very nasty weather - dry camping - and the flush mechanism started to leak. AND The ball seal has been acting up for some time, so I just decided to replace the whole thing. [I had a plan to replace the ball seal, and found one on e-bay, but the leak sealed the deal]

I got a Thetford Model V and a riser, and after some chuckles from Miss Sandy she said I could not use it. Sigh. Honestly I was not impressed myself.

So then I was having trouble finding what I wanted when I went into a place called Crestview RV in Texas, and there on display was a Thetford Style Plus Model Number 34429. Ahhhh. Obviously they had not been looking at toilet prices recently and I just bought the model on display... The Commode of my dreams.

The toilet of my dreams

BUT I think you can get them online for around $200. Example - http://www.adventurerv.net/style-plus-china-bowl-toilet-high-profilebone-p-573.html?gclid=CMyEgYGwzMQCFQ6MaQodOHkAwQ&utm_campaign=partsfeed_ppc&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=Froogle

It is a pretty standard job, just requires some clean up unless something is busted. (Easier than a home toilet) Also a good time to add a shut off valve if you are in the mood.

The seal

I know that cleaning things makes me a better person. ;-) This is a good time to clean this up. Sigh. I had antifreeze in the lines when I did the work...

I found that it was easier to put the new seal on the bottom of the commode, and then to seat it to get things right.

all done

We tested it in the Permian Basin, no leaks, no problems with the ball seal, and a happy wife.

I am thinking that the water saver might be a good feature but have no experience.

Why did I wait so long?

I am telling you - it makes you a better person.

Kevin (Real) McCoy [@KF5FUZ]
("Roscoe Ventura" Jayco Seneca HD SS 34 Diesel 2006;
"Toad" Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2007)

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 14307

Take care,
Greg

My RV came with the Aqua-Magic Style Plus high profile toilet. It has a china bowl and a polymer base with foot flush. My RV is a 2005 and the toilet has been trouble free and we realy like the china bowl.

Billy

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 14311
'Billy Piner'  [SuperCrvgroup] wrote:

Hi Billy, long time no see!

My RV came with the Aqua-Magic Style Plus high profile toilet. It has a china bowl and a polymer base with foot flush. My RV is a 2005 and the toilet has been trouble free and we realy like the china bowl.

That's good to hear, I think we have about the same size toilet closet. The dimensions from the spec sheet looks like it will fit, but I'll lose about 4 inches of leg room. I think that will be okay. The rough in measurements for the flange look to be the same as what I have now so I'd only need to do the water line change. DW is after me to just let Camping World do it when I buy the toilet....we'll see. I think they get $135 to install or something like that, but they'd get rid of the old one too so I wouldn't need to do a hazmat disposal here.

I'm looking at the Aqua Magic Style Plus and the Dometic 620

Take care,
Greg

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 14312
Greg, last August I installed an Aqua Magic Style II low profile. Only difference from original was no attached hose for cleaning but shower hose is right next to toilet. It was a simple remove and replace.

Why did I need a replacement? Well, at the end of the season two years earlier the jerk who winterized it forgot to step on the flush pedal when blowing out the lines. The following season it leaked all over (froze up over winter). Tried to get replacement parts - unsuccessful). I bought a plug for the water input connection and used the shower hose for the toilet. Eventually had our dealer try to fix - no could do. Went to CW in Michigan on the way to our destination in Ludington Mi last August. Bought a new one for about $200 and kicked myself for not doing that in the first place.

The suggestion to put a valve on the intake line to turn it on and off without shutting down the entire system is a very good one - only about 5 bucks. Wish I'd have thought of that. In FLA we have a park model on one lot and a destination trailer on our second lot next door. The water connection went two months ago. At first it looked like it was the just the connector. A fellow in our park put in a new one with a shutoff valve. Still leaked. Turned out water valve was also gone. Bought a new one and installed and all working fine now. I was stunned how light the plastic Thetford toilet was. Could pick it up with one finger. The replacement toilet in our MH was ceramic and it weight a ton in comparison.

Learned more about toilets than I ever wanted to know. It is just like anything else - do once and the second time will seem simple in comparison to the first. :)

Don

Re: Considering a toilet upgrade - BILLY

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 14313
'Billy Piner'  [SuperCrvgroup] wrote:

Billy, do you know how far from the back wall the rear of the toilet is with that model? I can find the overall dimensions, but if it's more than a couple inches from the wall, it's going to stick out too far. The rough in distance is 11" and that's the same as the Aqua V I have, but nothing shows how far from the wall that puts the back of the toilet.

Greg

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 14314
Don Leslie  [SuperCrvgroup] wrote:

Why did I need a replacement?  Well, at the end of the season two years earlier the jerk who winterized it forgot to step on the flush pedal when blowing out the lines.

And did you know that "jerk" personally? :-) IOW....are we talking about the owner?
The suggestion to put a valve on the intake line to turn it on and off without shutting down the entire system is a very good one - only about 5 bucks.  Wish I'd have thought of that.

If I end up doing that, I might as well add that since I've got to re-plumb the inlet water.

Learned more about toilets than I ever wanted to know.  It is just like anything else - do once and the second time will seem simple in comparison to the first.  :)

I HATE plumbing....with a passion. My dad was in the plumbing & heating business so growing up, I thought my name was "dammit boy, it'll wash off"!!! Guess what...it doesn't wash off! It's still stuck to me...I know it is. If I do this job myself, I will gag my way thru the session over the open hole to the tank :-\

Right now my concern is how far from the wall the back of the commode will be. The overall dimension is 22", but if it's more than a couple inches from the wall, it will be awfully crowded in that little room.

Greg

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 14315
Attachments :

Billy, do you know how far from the back wall the rear of the toilet is with that model? I can find the overall dimensions, but if it's more than a couple inches from the wall, it's going to stick out too far. The rough in distance is 11" and that's the same as the Aqua V I have, but nothing shows how far from the wall that puts the back of the toilet.

Greg

Greg, I went out and measured, the toilet all but touches the back wall. The hole seems to be centered about 11 inches from the wall (best I can measure). My closet is 40 1/2". The toilet takes up 20" leaving me 20 1/2". The water connection is 5 3/4" from the wall.
    Here are a few pictures, if they attach.

Reply #16
    Yahoo Message Number: 14316
    Wow Billy, you are the man! :-) Thanks a lot for doing that. Now I know it will fit because my room is the same size and the rough in center for the flange is 11". It should drop right in place once I do the water line. The spec sheet says its just shy of 22" so your measurements look even better. I can do the 22" though and be okay.

That pretty much makes the decision then. The other choice is a Dometic 320 toilet. Both require me doing the water line.

Take care,
    Greg

air admittance valve

Reply #17
    Yahoo Message Number: 14317
    Anyone changed one of these under your sink cabinets? Do they just screw on or are they glued? My coach is in storage and I forgot to look at it when I was over there.

Take care,
    Greg

Re: air admittance valve

Reply #18
    Yahoo Message Number: 14318
    Anyone changed one of these under your sink cabinets? Do they just screw on or are they glued? My coach is in storage and I forgot to look at it when I was over there.

Take care,
    Greg

Mine are just screwed on. As a matter of fact, I was getting a smell of the gray tank in the coach and found that the valve in the kitchen was loose enough the let the odors into the coach. A few twist to tighten the valve and the odors went away.

Billy

Reply #21
    Yahoo Message Number: 14321
    Well Doug, that makes two of us. I'm staying tuned as well. :)

Don

Reply #22
    Yahoo Message Number: 14322
    Attachments :

Valve that takes the place of a drain vent pipe going through the roof. Normally found under sink counters.

Billy

Reply #23
      Yahoo Message Number: 14323
      If you call it a air admittance valve you will pay more than 2 times what a cheater vent sells for.

air admittance valve.
      STUDOR Redi-Vent with ABS Adapter Valve-20362 - The Home Depot

Cheater Vent.
      Oatey 1-1/2 in. ABS PTC In-Line Cheater Vent-39012 - The Home Depot

You will find the cheater vent in our MH's.
      Best
      Ron Hall

Reply #24
      Yahoo Message Number: 14324
      Ron said,

If you call it a air admittance valve you will pay more than 2 times what a cheater vent sells for.

Yeah, so it seems :-) Supposedly the one we have in our coaches are approved only for RV's and mobile homes while the more expensive one meets the code for residential. There are a LOT of cheater valves in houses that should technically have AAV's instead. We just need the cheap ones.

Anyone ever had one go bad?

Take care,
      Greg