Skip to main content
Topic: Jayco Seneca & Greyhawk LPG Recall (Read 1426 times) previous topic - next topic

Jayco Seneca & Greyhawk LPG Recall

Yahoo Message Number: 1075
I just stumbled across this Jayco recall notice. Apparently it just went out & it affects those of us who have an LPG appliance in the slideout.
Recalls Summary
Make / Models :
Model/Build Years:
JAYCO / GREYHAWK
2007-2008
JAYCO / SENECA
2005-2008
Recall Number: 08V207000
Summary:
JAYCO IS RECALLING 1,265 MY 2005-2008 SENECA '35GS' AND MY 2007-2008 GREYHAWK '33DS' AND '32SS' MOTOR HOMES. THE CONDUIT CLAMP ON THE COPPER LIQUID PROPANE (LP) TUBE FEEDING THE SLIDE-0UT IS INCORRECTLY PLACED WHICH MAY ALLOW THE COPPER TUBE TO BEND AND POSSIBLY LEAK WITH THE MOVEMENT OF THE SLIDE-OUT.
Consequence:
IF THE COPPER TUBE CRACKED, PRESSURIZED LP GAS MAY ESCAPE INTO THE COMPARTMENT. THIS CONDITION, IF NOT ADDRESSED, MAY RESULT IN A FIRE, INJURY OR DEATH.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL RELOCATE THE CONDUIT CLAMP AND ADD A RUBBER GROMMET TO ALLOW ADHESION. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING MAY 2008. OWNERS MAY CONTACT JAYCO AT 1-574-825-5861.
Notes:
CUSTOMERS MAY CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153); OR GO TO http://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.

Re: Jayco Seneca & Greyhawk LPG Recall

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 1076
I wonder just what they are talking about.   I'm not aware of anything related to propane in either of our slide-outs.  The last place I'm going for this is my dealer since an appointment made today would be for 8 weeks from now and then they will want me to leave it for "who knows how long."  In addition, I get to foot a gas bill of $68 for the round trip. If anyone with a 32SS figures out what this means on our MHs I'd be delighted to know.  Given we were at the factory 3 weeks ago I think I've almost got a right to be po'd.  This certainly didn't come up today and one would think they'd be smart enough to have fixed it when they had ours in the shop.  Since we have to go back for some minor paint work at the factory (they are clueless with respect to what the costs of operation are) we'll have it fixed then - if it doesn't burn down in the mean time.  :)DonOn 14-May-08, at 1:54 PM, berfle624 wrote: I just stumbled across this Jayco recall notice. Apparently it just went out & it affects those of us who have an LPG appliance in the slideout. Recalls SummaryMake / Models :       Model/Build Years:         JAYCO / GREYHAWK   2007-2008     JAYCO / SENECA   2005-2008Recall Number:08V207000Summary: JAYCO IS RECALLING 1,265 MY 2005-2008 SENECA '35GS' AND MY 2007-2008 GREYHAWK '33DS' AND '32SS' MOTOR HOMES. THE CONDUIT CLAMP ON THE COPPER LIQUID PROPANE (LP) TUBE FEEDING THE SLIDE-0UT IS INCORRECTLY PLACED WHICH MAY ALLOW THE COPPER TUBE TO BEND AND POSSIBLY LEAK WITH THE MOVEMENT OF THE SLIDE-OUT.Consequence: IF THE COPPER TUBE CRACKED, PRESSURIZED LP GAS MAY ESCAPE INTO THE COMPARTMENT. THIS CONDITION, IF NOT ADDRESSED, MAY RESULT IN A FIRE, INJURY OR DEATH.Remedy: DEALERS WILL RELOCATE THE CONDUIT CLAMP AND ADD A RUBBER GROMMET TO ALLOW ADHESION. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING MAY 2008. OWNERS MAY CONTACT JAYCO AT 1-574-825-5861.Notes: CUSTOMERS MAY CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION' S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153) ; OR GO TO http://WWW.SAFERCAR .GOV.

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 1077
Something can't be right with this, the 32SS has no gas appliance in a
slide.

Take care,
Greg

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 1078
If anyone with a 32SS figures out what this means on our MHs I'd be
delighted to know.

Don,

Thid puzzled me as well since they are clearly talking about just those
models with LPG appliances in the slideout.

Bill

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 1081
I'm afraid that letter adds ZIP to my understanding of the problem.

Don

On 14-May-08, at 7:33 PM,

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 1082
I'm afraid that letter adds ZIP to my understanding of the problem.
Don,
I still can't explain why they included the 32SS models but if you or anyone wants to get more of an idea of the problem as present in the 33DS models, here are links to the photos I posted some time ago. Although the photos are meant to show the damage to the copper LPG pipe below the slideout on my rig, you can see the conduit clamps they are referring to in the recall notice. I would speculate that on some of the rigs, the clamps were somehow overtightened to the point of damaging the copper pipe. It is certainly a screwy design to begin with. I don't understand how Jayco engineering justified releasing a design such as this. Incidently, my 33DS is still at the local dealer and among other things, they are supposedly replacing the entire steel conduit & copper tube setup with black LPG pipe.
Bill
http://autos.ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/KodiakChassisClassC/photos/view/2eaf?b=18&m=f&o=0
http://autos.ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/KodiakChassisClassC/photos/view/2eaf?b=17&m=f&o=0

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 1083
Tomorrow I'll take a look at mine. I just can't figure out what it has to do with slides. You have a fridge in your slide. We haven't got propane anywhere near a slide. So, maybe it is the connectors that they are referring to and the slide is just a red herring.

Don

On 14-May-08, at 9:59 PM, berfle624 wrote:

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 1087

Don,

I assume your fridge in your slide runs on propane when not on shore power... would they refer to that connection?

Denny

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 1088
It does of course. But it is not in a slide. I don't think we've even used it on propane. DW specifically PROHIBITS us driving with the propane on. So, when "she who must be obeyed" speaks, I have to listen. With our first MH we got into this discussion (I talked she frowned) I even sent Dometic an email asking if it was safe to drive with the propane running the fridge and they said "yes it was designed to do that." Lost that one too. I'm going to have a look later today and see if I can see anything that looks to be a problem.

BTW, this is the first post ever flagged as SPAM on this forum and when I signed on this morning I had to go and release it. I can't figure out why it was considered spam. Strange. Please reply to this and lets see what happens.

Don

On 15-May-08, at 9:08 AM,

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 1090
It went into the spam bucket again. I wonder why? I'm going to have to research but I don't have the time at the moment. Are you on any other yahoo forums?

Don

On 15-May-08, at 9:41 AM,

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 1091

No... I am working the tornadoes in SW Missouri and have activated an estimating program and an on my local Suddenlink cable internet system... wonder if that is the connection.

Denny

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 1092
Hmmm. This one came straight through without a stop in the Spam bucket. Maybe the system learns?

Don

On 15-May-08, at 10:28 AM,

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 1096
Why I decided to turn on the propane is exactly what my husband asked me. I said "I do not know"; we normally do not turn on the gas when we have electricity. My brother and wife were coming in the next day for a visit and I was just preparing the MH for their visit. Sometimes I believe we do things not thinking for a reason. If I had not turned on the propane they could have and they could have been in the MH.

The Fire Marshall says it looks like the regulator or a propane leak somewhere. The appraiser has been here so now we are waiting for our dealer to pickup and repair. We have talked to Jayco and it sounds good so far. But then I am the pessimist:>)

Jo Ann

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 1147
I just had the work completed on my 33DS and the recall notice arrived today from Jayco. Incidently mine was fixed by replacing the entire copper pipe and conduit combination with a single piece of black LPG pipe. I'll post pics later. I uploaded scans of my recall document FYI.
http://autos.ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/KodiakChassisClassC/photos/view/2eaf?b=34&m=f&o=0
http://autos.ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/KodiakChassisClassC/photos/view/2eaf?b=35&m=f&o=0
Bill

Jayco recall

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 1094
I just crawled underneath and had a look. I'm going to take a few
photos and post them but I can't see anything that should be causing
a problem as described by Bill and illustrated with his photos. Both
of my slides have absolutely nothing under them. Everything around
the propane tank looks (to my layman's eye) to be solid up to the
point where the lines go into the floor and head over to the fridge,
stove and furnace.

I've sent a note to Les at Jayco asking him to check on this as I have
no desire to visit my dealer unless this is really an urgent matter
for the 32SS. I included Bill's photos as well.

Hopefully they weren't foolish enough to just make it a blanket recall
on a CYA basis. If that happens to be the case it will be entirely
because they don't understand the time wasted, cost and aggravation
going to a dealer.

I'll let the group know what response I get from Jayco.

Now, I can get back to trying to fix my lawn tractor (2 acres to cut)
as a mower deck lift link has either broken or come off. Always one
thing or another. Oh, and DW wants me to open up the hot tub today
and start opening the pool as well. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr....................

Don

Re: Jayco recall

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 1095
Hopefully they weren't foolish enough to just make it a blanket recall
on a CYA basis.
Don,
I think someone just screwed up when they typed the recall notice. I've checked several sites wherein the recall is referenced and noteably, the following site does not show the 32SS model but rather the 30GS model:
http://www.usrecallnews.com/2008/05/nhtsa-1035.html
From what I know about the problem it looks to me like the only models affected are the Greyhawk 33DS, the Greyhawk 30GS (not Kodiak chassis) and the new 2008 Seneca 35MS with the full wall slide. These are the only models I can find that have an LPG appliance in the slideout. The 33DS & 35MS have slideout refrigerators & the 30GS has a slideout LPG range.
Bill

Jayco recall

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 2134
Has anyone received a notice about a Jayco recall related to copper
wiring?

I called back for my voicemails on my phone system at home in Canada
and found a message from our dealer saying that there was a recall out
for our MH due to a copper wiring problem and I should call and make
an appointment to bring it in.

Little do they know it is going in to the factory on our way home in
April. I'm not about to take it to their facility 200 miles away and
leave it with them for weeks on end.

So, I don't know if this is a 32SS, Greyhawk or all Kodiak model
recall. Anyone know?

Don

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 2135
Don wrote:

Has anyone received a notice about a Jayco recall related to copper
wiring?

I haven't heard anything yet. Mine is over at the dealers now, but I
haven't talked to him in a few days so he hasn't said anything if he
knows. I'm supposed to call him tomorrow so I'll ask.

Take care,
Greg

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 2137
Since last night I've been thinking about what it could be. I'm starting to wonder if it might be that recalled recall of last year, or was it in 07, that was for the 33DS only for the propane copper tubing.

I'm going to phone the dealer tomorrow. I've sent a note to Randy at Jayco but he is out at the moment.

Having fun - DW fell on the tennis court Monday and broke her wrist and now has a big cast on. Tomorrow we go to an orthopedic surgeon for an examination. Hopefully he will declare that it is not a serious break that will heal quickly.

If we are going to get to the Tampa Super Show it will now have to be Friday.

Today our power was out for 6 hours ++ when a series of transformers blew and FPL has been around the area with several trucks all day. One blew in a big way and when they thought they had it fixed three more blew. I was planning to exercise the generator so it got a 3 hour workout. Strange turning on the A/C, then a heater when it got cold, then boiling water for coffee (electric kettle), then lunch with the microwave.

Don

On 13-Jan-09, at 4:56 PM, Greg Gimlick wrote:

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 2138
Don,

Don't know if it will help, but you can see most, if not all, of
the JAYCO recalls and TSB's at

http://www.allworldauto.com/recalls/jayco_recalls_198-1.html

Regards, Glenn

Since last night I've been thinking about what it could be. I'm
starting to wonder if it might be that recalled recall of last
year,

or was it in 07, that was for the 33DS only for the propane copper
tubing.

I'm going to phone the dealer tomorrow. I've sent a note to Randy
at Jayco but he is out at the moment.

Having fun - DW fell on the tennis court Monday and broke her
wrist and now has a big cast on. Tomorrow we go to an orthopedic
surgeon for an examination. Hopefully he will declare that it is not a
serious break that will heal quickly.

If we are going to get to the Tampa Super Show it will now have to
be Friday.

Today our power was out for 6 hours ++ when a series of
transformers blew and FPL has been around the area with several trucks all
day.

One blew in a big way and when they thought they had it fixed
three more blew. I was planning to exercise the generator so it got a 3
hour workout. Strange turning on the A/C, then a heater when it
got cold, then boiling water for coffee (electric kettle), then lunch
with the microwave.

Don

Don wrote:

Has anyone received a notice about a Jayco recall related to
copper wiring?

I haven't heard anything yet. Mine is over at the dealers now,
but I

haven't talked to him in a few days so he hasn't said anything if
he

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 2139
Thanks. That has 2 recalls - including the one that was rescinded for the 32SS after I sent them photos showing that the problem they described was only for the 33DS and not the 32SS.

I'm going to phone the dealer in the morning and find out why they are a year out of date.

Don

On 14-Jan-09, at 8:15 PM, cggunte wrote:

Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 2140
The recall that they called about was the propane line problem that did not apply to the 32SS (they were not aware of the recall of the recall - I think what they were doing was looking for business). I also got a note from Jayco Service confirming that the recall didn't apply to the 32SS.

Don