Skip to main content
Topic: Jayco 33DS Shower Stall to Wall Separation (Read 1917 times) previous topic - next topic

Jayco 33DS Shower Stall to Wall Separation

Yahoo Message Number: 2103
Here's a heads-up for Jayco/Kodiak folks.

Unless you are pretty tall you wouldn't see this. The one-piece
fiberglass shower stall unit has a large gap between it and the
bathroom wall. It is very easy for water to run down behind the shower
and straight to the floor. There was never any sort of caulking or
sealant applied to the gap at the factory. I'm 6'2" and only saw it
after DW inadvertently stuck her fingers in the gap during cleaning.
Here's a photo and it's also been uploaded to this forum.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/KodiakChassisClassC/photos/album/882807381/pic/1525096096/view?picmode=large&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=41&dir=asc

It looks like it could have been this way from day one as there are no
other obvious indications of the stall pulling away from the wall. The
gap is too wide for just caulking so it will require putting in some
sort of "plug" in the gap to support final caulking/sealing.

I don't know if this only affects the Greyhawk models or not. I
suspect that any Jayco model with this type of one-piece shower stall
could have the separation.

Bill

Re: Jayco 33DS Shower Stall to Wall Separation

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 2104
Our 32SS may well have the same problem and I'm going to have a look shortly. Would not surprise me because on one occasion I found water under the fridge area and couldn't figure out where it was coming from. It could well have been over the top of the shower. Have not had it again but the shower hasn't been used much when it is parked next to the park model.

Don

On 5-Jan-09, at 5:25 PM, berfle624 wrote:

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 2108
Bill wrote:

Unless you are pretty tall you wouldn't see this. The one-piece
fiberglass shower stall unit has a large gap between it and the
bathroom wall.

Great photo of the problem. My 32SS has a gap that's pretty large, but
not as big as the one you're showing there. I noticed it when I first
got the unit because my Jayco travel trailer had a pretty large gap too
so I looked right away. I'm 6'4" so I tend to see such things in these
RV showers.

I was able to close mine up with a couple of layers of caulk. You're
right about probably having to use something else in a case like this
though.

Take care,
Greg

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 2110
I checked our 32SS and it also has a gap. Seems to me that this is their standard approach to assembly.

Now I wonder if it is a problem or just a potential problem if I get careless in the shower.

I have a feeling I was "splashy" in the shower on one occasion about 14 months ago and that is where the water under the fridge and counter came from.

To seal it or not is now the question. If I should seal it the next question is with what? Anyone planning to seal the gap?

APAMES - when you say you have to dump the holding tank at least once a week is that just for what the dehumidifies takes out in Florida?

Don

On 6-Jan-09, at 3:37 PM, apames wrote:

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 2111

Don,

I think you need to provide more details about your getting "splashy" 14 months ago. Is this something the rest of us have to watch out for, or is getting "splashy" once every 14 months an insignificant event the rest of us can ignore. Also, could you define what you mean be "splashy?" How does that differ from being less than splashy, or only partially splashy or simply wet?

Denny (with a GRIN!!)

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 2112
Denny, I usually have an RV shower in the MH. That is, take the shower head off of the holder and quickly wet my body, turn water off, use body wash on a poof, turn on shower and rinse it off with the shower head in my hand. Then, use shampoo and rinse. I use a minimum amount of water. I think I had a regular shower (splashy) with the spray head on the holder rather than in my hand. During the trip back to FLA last weekend I had a shower at the hotel on Sunday morning and I was astounded at the mess I made. The tile floor outside was flooded and it was not due to water getting through the shower current or around an end - it was splashing off of me and over the top (more surprising it was a bowed curtain). So, I can visualize a lot of water going over the top if I'm not careful.

Don

On 9-Jan-09, at 2:19 PM,

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 2113
I've sent the photo to the Jayco Service Manager and informed him that our 32SS is the same. I've asked him if it is supposed to be like this or if it is a case that we are all missing a trim piece that keeps the water out. Will post the reply.

Don

On 5-Jan-09, at 5:25 PM, berfle624 wrote:

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 2114
I've sent the photo to the Jayco Service Manager and informed him that
our 32SS is the same.

Thanks Don. Hope they have a good solution... perhaps some wide
molding designed for that area?

In our case I think we get pretty "splashy". I usually only take "RV
showers" when we are dry camping... otherwise it's normal shower
procedure like at home. I previously said that DW had been cleaning up
there when she found the separation but actually she was drying the
area as she had inadvertently shot a blast of water in the upper
corner while rinsing her hair. While I haven't noticed any water in
the kitchen floor area, I haven't (yet) poked around in the cupboards
behind the drawers, etc to see if any water has made it to the
flooring in that area. In any case, since the discovery, we now both
concentrate on taking very "un-splashy" showers.

Bill

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 2115

Thanks, Don, but I expected something more, you know, "exotic".... I just thought we could be considered "over the hill, but still kickin!" Guess "splashing" will have to be good enough!!

Denny

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 2116
Denny, I think you had a spelling error. You meant erotic not exotic didn't you. :)

But that is OK. We are over the hill too.

Don

On 9-Jan-09, at 5:13 PM,

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 2117
Bill, we found the water dripping down into a basement compartment and then looked under the fridge and found it there. Since we drove through a lot of rain I wondered if it was the spray from tractor trailers passing us (really heavy rain). Will probably never know for sure - but seeing that opening now it sure makes me wonder. I even looked behind the taps in the shower to see if there were any leaks but nothing was obvious.

Don

On 9-Jan-09, at 5:05 PM, berfle624 wrote:

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 2119
Bill, we found the water dripping down into a basement compartment and
then looked under the fridge and found it there...

Don,

I pulled a kitchen drawer and the WH bypass access panel to take a quick look for water leaks. I soon learned that I'll need to pull at least one of the cabinet wall panels beneath the sink (all of these panels are stapled in). When I have more time I'll tackle that and then I can also get access to the water heater supply and output connectors that several folks on the forums have advised to regularly check.

However I did find the floor wet under the sink. Turns out that water had leaked around the fixtures and sink and then run down behind the drawers to the floor. With the shallow RV sink it's easy to get "splashy" even just washing your hands. I don't know if any caulking/sealant was used when the fixtures and sink were installed. Unless I can easily pull these items and seal them during the reinstall, I guess the only alternative is to slather on some sealant externally... which will work but could look kinda tacky.

After reviewing this situation and the shower issues already discussed, I believe we should recommend to the RVIA that they define and strongly encourage the RV industry to adopt something I'll call the "ISI " rating or International Splashy Index rating...:) For example it might entail a 1 to 10 rating where a "10" would perhaps be awarded to higher-end manufacturers and/or those who care about the quality of the work performed and are aware that people normally will splash water in the shower or at the sink. At the other end of the spectrum an ISI rating of "1" would likely be awarded to... well I'll leave that to your imagination.

Bill

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 2120

I already see a problem with the "Splashy Index Rating." Since "splashy" is obviously a Canadian term used for possible erotic behavior in a shower, and not exotic behavior, the rating would also need a suffix like "pg" or "r" to define what splashy application is being used.... obviously a "1-pg" splashy rating would require a lower standard than would a "1-r" due to the lower volume of water used, and the aggressive nature of the splash. We would also need Canadian regulations apply which appear to be more aggressive than US ratings... I think Obama should put this issue at the top of his agenda... even above extending the time for the digital TV conversion.

Denny

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 2121
Hate to tell you this Denny, but we've NEVER used our Kodiak to sleep in while in Canada. All of these splashy things have happened in the US. :)

We did have a couple use it in Canada once for three days, but they were visiting from California.

Don

On 11-Jan-09, at 11:38 AM,

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 2122

Don,

I believe that crossing the Canadian-US border for the purpose of doing "splashy things" is a violation of the US-Canadian treaty which was written in 1796. If I was Canadian, I would be very careful NOT to admit to doing splashy things while in the US... IMHO.

PS.... got a little extra "time" on my hands today, waiting very patiently for tomorrow to come when I will have the &%$^&% splints removed from my nostrils.... this has been the longest week of my life!!

Denny

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 2123
History problem. Canada came into existence in 1867. Better revise your brief or the court will toss it out. :)

Any agreements prior to that date were done with the United Kingdom.

BTW, how is your MH at this time. I hope no more problems found.

D

On 11-Jan-09, at 1:36 PM,

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 2124

Simply.... I will ask for a summary judgment.

Re: the RV.... we still own the motorhome. Four Winds helped to resolve our issues. We are undecided whether we will sell it... my blog is no longer published. Thanks for asking.

Denny

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 2125

.... and no further problems have been found.

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 2126
Good. I'm always afraid to ask for fear........... well, you know.

I might go to the Tampa Super Show this week. I'll have to be careful as some of the floorplans introduced over the past 18 months sure look nice. But then, buying 4 MHs since May 2003 in enough at this point and we aren't experiencing any problems with the Kodiak other than the whine - which we hope will be identified and fixed in April (fingers crossed).

D

ps. You have to go to the Circuit Court in Detroit for the judgment. That way I can be there in short order. We live less than 5 miles from the Michigan border. :)

On 11-Jan-09, at 2:08 PM,

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 2127

Don,

Did you ever put the coach on a lift and run up the RPM's? I guess getting the rear wheels off the ground (safely) could do the same thing. That could eliminate any wind noise related issues. Also, You may be able to get closer to the noise from under the coach.... just a thought.

D

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 2128

I have found I need to tighten the p-trap connectors beneath my kitchen sink on occasion. They appear to work loose and have caused water to drip into the drawer below my sink.

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 2129
Wind noise is not an issue since simply lifting my foot off the accelerator results in the whine stopping.

I'm going to let Mor/Ryde take a close look after they get to hear it on the Interstate. My guess is the rear end - ring and pinion not meshing fully. But only a guess by a novice. At 65 mph it virtually disappears.

Don

On 11-Jan-09, at 3:11 PM,

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 2131
Don,

If it doesn't whine under load, in float and deceleration, it isn't a
wheel bearing. It does sound like ring and pinion, but I don't
understand why it would stop under light load at 65mph.

It isn't the turbo whine, is it? :)

Dan

Wind noise is not an issue since simply lifting my foot off the
accelerator results in the whine stopping.

I'm going to let Mor/Ryde take a close look after they get to hear
it on the Interstate. My guess is the rear end - ring and pinion not
meshing fully. But only a guess by a novice. At 65 mph it
virtually

Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 2132
Dan, it is a gasser. It fades away quickly at 65 and virtually disappears within a mile per hour under load on the highway. Have not attempted to jack it up and run the engine. Don't really want to do that with the leveling jacks. I do have some 8,000 lb jack stands but they are 1200 miles from here.

Don

On 12-Jan-09, at 9:12 PM, dan.socal wrote: