Skip to main content
Topic: 2010 models now with added Hellwig® helper springs  (Read 1797 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2010 models now with added Hellwig® helper springs

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 4281
Don I have experienced no issues with the upgraded springs. I have added some other features that have made a remarkable difference. I suspect if anyone was having an issue with the upgraded springs paid for by Jayco we would have heard about it. Dane

Re: 2010 models now with added Hellwig(r) helper springs

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 4282
I have 19,000 lb springs on my Seneca. What would the Hellwig Helper Springs do?

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of dane.goodwin
Sent: Friday, April 09, 2010 5:32 PM
To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: 2010 models now with added Hellwig® helper springs

Don I have experienced no issues with the upgraded springs. I have added some other features that have made a remarkable difference. I suspect if anyone was having an issue with the upgraded springs paid for by Jayco we would have heard about it. Dane

--- In , "Don"  wrote:
along with the already upgraded 19,000 lb springs jayco has added to the
2010 models these helper springs.href="http://www.worldwiderv.com/showroom/Jayco/Seneca-HD-/Motor-Home-Class-C-_-Diesel.aspx#features">http://www.worldwiderv.com/showroom/Jayco/Seneca-HD-/Motor-Home-Class-C-_-Diesel.aspx#features
were the 19,000 lb. springs not enough?

what's to be expected with these added helper's ?

don

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 4284
Ian,

you have a 2010 36FS, according to the spec page you should have both the 19,000 springs and the helpers.

whats your ride like? tail wag and rock and roll?

have you done any suspension modifications?

i've looked hellwigs web site and the largest capacity helpers i can find there are the load pro series the LP-35 with a 3500 lb. rating.

don

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 4285
How do I visually tell if I have the helper springs? Actually I never realized the brochure listed the helper springs until now.

It drives pretty well. My main concern is raising the rear end as much as possible. I pull a trailer a lot and have problems with the hitch bottoming out on dips. I just had my trailer re-springed to give it a few more inches and I should be OK now.

I had Safety Plus Steering, Koni shocks, Front Sway Bar and Tracbar and a rear Tracbar. I was told it came with a factory rear sway bar that should be sufficient. One thing that bugs me is I can't get the steering when completely centered with the Safety Plus steering. I can't say I really understand the reasoning the alignment shop explained to me . I think the shocks made the biggest difference.

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Don
Sent: Friday, April 09, 2010 7:19 PM
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: 2010 models now with added Hellwig(r) helper springs

Ian,

you have a 2010 36FS, according to the spec page you should have both the 19,000 springs and the helpers.

whats your ride like? tail wag and rock and roll?

have you done any suspension modifications?

i've looked hellwigs web site and the largest capacity helpers i can find there are the load pro series the LP-35 with a 3500 lb. rating.

don

--- In , Ian Eisenberg  wrote:
I have 19,000 lb springs on my Seneca. What would the Hellwig Helper
Springs do?
[mailto:] On Behalf Of dane.goodwin

Sent: Friday, April 09, 2010 5:32 PM
To:
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: 2010 models now with added Hellwig(r)
helper springs
Don I have experienced no issues with the upgraded springs. I have added
some other features that have made a remarkable difference. I suspect if anyone was having an issue with the upgraded springs paid for by Jayco we would have heard about it. Dane
--- In ,
"Don"  wrote:
along with the already upgraded 19,000 lb springs jayco has added to
the 2010 models these helper springs.href="http://www.worldwiderv.com/showroom/Jayco/Seneca-HD-/Motor-Home-Class-C-_-Diesel.aspx#features">http://www.worldwiderv.com/showroom/Jayco/Seneca-HD-/Motor-Home-Class-C-_-Diesel.aspx#features
were the 19,000 lb. springs not enough?

what's to be expected with these added helper's ?

don

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 4363
Do my eyes deceive me, or am I really seeing that to install these springs, the rubber bump stop is removed (look at the second photo). If that is the case, I am not so sure I like these. I added the Super Springs to my '08 Seneca and it made a huge difference in ride and the rubber bump stops remain in place.

http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/KodiakChas sisClassC/ photos/album/ 423304712/ pic/452025804/ view?picmode= medium&mode= tn&order= ordinal&start= 1&dir=asc

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 4364
Sam, I noticed the same thing when I looked at the photos last night.

I'm going to add the Super Springs or the airbags this summer. This price looks pretty good.

http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=7247

http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=7247Don

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 4366
, Don Leslie  wrote:
Sam, I noticed the same thing when I looked at the photos last night.

I'm going to add the Super Springs or the airbags this summer. This price looks pretty good.

http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=7247

Don

Don,
Check out Summitracing.com, same kit is 237.39, plus free shipping.
I have been searching for the best price on the SuperSprings myself, looking to add them later this year.
Good luck,
Bill

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 4367
Bill, take a close look at the part numbers. You will notice they are not the same. I don't know if the Summit item applies to the Kodiak. Would sure have to phone them and get assurances. The SD unit is clearly marked 5500, and even then I will call them.

Don

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 4377
Don,
Not sure what you mean, I typed in the same part number from your link. The only difference is Summit adds a manufacturer code in front of the number, in this case "AIR".
I recommend giving them a call if you are not sure of the application. I have bought many things from them for over 25 plus years, very good people to deal with, and you got to love no tax and free shipping. Similar experiences with Jegs as well.

Good luck,
Bill

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 4379
Bill, what I found for that page didn't seem to be for the C5500. I just went back and searched on C5500 at Summit and found this (probably should have done that originally) and got to this page:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FIP-2362/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FIP-2362/Note the price is a bit more than at SDTruck.

When I looked at the kit for $237.39 I could not see C5500 anywhere.

As to which one I get and who I buy from, that will be on hold until my son returns from a wedding in Mexico. He will be doing the installation and I've sent him the installation instructions for this product and for the Firestone bags that Ron posted. I'll let him make an evaluation first (he has a BEng Manufacturing and MEng Mechanical and works in the vehicle component biz in Detroit) before making a decision.

I'm also thinking about Bilstein Shocks. The Koni's sure look good but their prices sure are high.

Don

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 4381
Different topic -

I want to buy a locking gas cap for my 2010 Seneca. Can anyone find a link for the proper model?

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Don Leslie
Sent: Wednesday, April 28, 2010 12:10 PM
Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: 2010 models now with added Hellwig(r) helper springs

Bill, what I found for that page didn't seem to be for the C5500. I just went back and searched on C5500 at Summit and found this (probably should have done that originally) and got to this page:

Note the price is a bit more than at SDTruck.

As to which one I get and who I buy from, that will be on hold until my son returns from a wedding in Mexico. He will be doing the installation and I've sent him the installation instructions for this product and for the Firestone bags that Ron posted. I'll let him make an evaluation first (he has a BEng Manufacturing and MEng Mechanical and works in the vehicle component biz in Detroit) before making a decision.

I'm also thinking about Bilstein Shocks. The Koni's sure look good but their prices sure are high.

Don

On 2010-04-28, at 10:37 AM, Bill wrote:

Don,
Not sure what you mean, I typed in the same part number from your link. The only difference is Summit adds a manufacturer code in front of the number, in this case "AIR".
I recommend giving them a call if you are not sure of the application. I have bought many things from them for over 25 plus years, very good people to deal with, and you got to love no tax and free shipping. Similar experiences with Jegs as well.

Good luck,
Bill

--- In , Don Leslie  wrote:
Bill, take a close look at the part numbers. You will notice they are not
the same. I don't know if the Summit item applies to the Kodiak. Would sure have to phone them and get assurances. The SD unit is clearly marked 5500, and even then I will call them.
Don

On 2010-04-27, at 10:37 AM, Bill wrote:

--- In ,
Don Leslie  wrote:
Sam, I noticed the same thing when I looked at the photos last
night.
I'm going to add the Super Springs or the airbags this summer.
This price looks pretty good.href="http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=7247">http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=7247
Don

Don,
I have been searching for the best price on the SuperSprings myself,
looking to add them later this year.

Good luck,
Bill

Re: 2010 models now with added Hellwig(r)helper springs

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 4382
Got mine at Walmart. Don't have the number with me but they had a chart.

Keith
Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone with SprintSpeed

Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 14:21:35 -0500
Subject: RE: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: 2010 models now with added Hellwig(r) helper springs

Different topic -

I want to buy a locking gas cap for my 2010 Seneca. Can anyone find a link for the proper model?

From: KodiakChassisClassC @yahoogroups. com [mailto:KodiakChass isClassC@ yahoogroups. com] On Behalf Of Don Leslie
To: KodiakChassisClassC @yahoogroups. com
Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClass C] Re: 2010 models now with added Hellwig(r) helper springs

http://www.summitra cing.com/ parts/FIP- 2362/

Don

Don,

Good luck,
 Bill

> Bill, take a close look at the part numbers. You will notice they are not
the same. I don't know if the Summit item applies to the Kodiak. Would sure have to phone them and get assurances. The SD unit is clearly marked 5500, and even then I will call them.
> Don
 >
 >
 > On 2010-04-27, at 10:37 AM, Bill wrote:
 >
 > >
 > >
 > > --- In ,
Don Leslie  wrote:
> > > Sam, I noticed the same thing when I looked at the photos last
night.
> > > I'm going to add the Super Springs or the airbags this summer.
This price looks pretty good.
> > >http://www.sdtrucks prings.com/ index.php? main_page= product_info&products_id= 7247
 > > >
 > > > Don
 > > >
 > > >
 > > >
 > > > Don,
 > > Check out Summitracing. com, same kit is 237.39, plus free shipping.
 > > I have been searching for the best price on the SuperSprings myself,

Good luck,
 > > Bill
 > >
 > >
 >

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 4383
I looked at the charts on can't find GMC C5500.Am I looking for wrong item?I guess I need to go to store.I prefer shopping online.

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of kllasvegas@...
Sent: Wednesday, April 28, 2010 12:27 PM
Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: 2010 models now with added Hellwig(r)helper springs

Keith
center

Subject: RE: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: 2010 models now with added Hellwig(r) helper springs

Different topic -

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Don Leslie
Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: 2010 models now with added Hellwig(r) helper springs

Don

Don,

Good luck,
Bill

Don

--- In ,
Don Leslie  wrote:
night.
This price looks pretty good.href="http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=7247">http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=7247
Don

Don,

Good luck,
Bill

Re: 2010 models now with addedHellwig(r)helper springs

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 4384
Had mine for a while with no problems. Think it was around $9

Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 14:27:07 -0500
Subject: RE: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: 2010 models now with added Hellwig(r)helper springs

I looked at the charts on can't find GMC C5500.Am I looking for wrong item?I guess I need to go to store.I prefer shopping online.

From: KodiakChassisClassC @yahoogroups. com [mailto:KodiakChass isClassC@ yahoogroups. com] On Behalf Of kllasvegas@yahoo. com
Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClass C] Re: 2010 models now with added Hellwig(r)helper springs

Keith
center

Subject: RE: [KodiakChassisClass C] Re: 2010 models now with added Hellwig(r) helper springs

Different topic -

From: KodiakChassisClassC @yahoogroups. com [mailto:KodiakChass isClassC@ yahoogroups. com] On Behalf Of Don Leslie
Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClass C] Re: 2010 models now with added Hellwig(r) helper springs

Don

Don,

Good luck,
 Bill

> Bill, take a close look at the part numbers. You will notice they are not
> Don
 >
 >
 > On 2010-04-27, at 10:37 AM, Bill wrote:
 >
 > >
 > >
 > > --- In ,
Don Leslie  wrote:
> > > Sam, I noticed the same thing when I looked at the photos last
night.
> > > I'm going to add the Super Springs or the airbags this summer.
This price looks pretty good.
> > >http://www.sdtrucks prings.com/ index.php? main_page= product_info&products_id= 7247
 > > >
 > > > Don
 > > >
 > > >
 > > >
 > > > Don,
 > > Check out Summitracing. com, same kit is 237.39, plus free shipping.
 > > I have been searching for the best price on the SuperSprings myself,

Good luck,
 > > Bill
 > >
 > >
 >

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 4385
Try searching for Fram RG-504? I think that was reported to work for the gas version. Not sure if it works for diesel. K

center
From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of Ian Eisenberg
Sent: Wednesday, April 28, 2010 2:27 PM
Subject: RE: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: 2010 models now with added Hellwig(r)helper springs

I looked at the charts on can't find GMC C5500. Am I looking for wrong item? I guess I need to go to store. I prefer shopping online.

From: KodiakChassisClassC @yahoogroups. com [mailto: KodiakChass isClassC@ yahoogroups. com ] On Behalf Of kllasvegas@yahoo. com
Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClass C] Re: 2010 models now with added Hellwig(r)helper springs

Keith
center

Subject: RE: [KodiakChassisClass C] Re: 2010 models now with added Hellwig(r) helper springs

Different topic -

From: KodiakChassisClassC @yahoogroups. com [mailto: KodiakChass isClassC@ yahoogroups. com ] On Behalf Of Don Leslie

As to which one I get and who I buy from, that will be on hold until my son returns from a wedding in Mexico . He will be doing the installation and I've sent him the installation instructions for this product and for the Firestone bags that Ron posted. I'll let him make an evaluation first (he has a BEng Manufacturing and MEng Mechanical and works in the vehicle component biz in Detroit ) before making a decision.

Don

Don,

Good luck,
Bill

Don

--- In ,
Don Leslie  wrote:
night.
This price looks pretty good.href="http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=7247">http://www.sdtrucks prings.com/ index.php? main_page= product_info&products_id= 7247
Don

Don,
Check out Summitracing. com, same kit is 237.39, plus free
shipping.

Good luck,
Bill

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 4388
Don,
The link you gave is for a different manufacturer, Firestone Ride Rite. Those are the ones that I was looking to purchase at one time. The other one you were looking at is made by Air Lift. The part number is the same as the one you posted from SDtruck. I would recommend giving Summit a call, they are very knowledgeable, they can tell you if the Air Lift part number is the correct one.
I can not speak for the Bilsteins, but have been very happy with the improvement in handling from the Koni FSD's. Yes, pricey, but I fely worth it.
Now, if I can just afford the SuperSprings....

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 4397
I eventually found it on Summit. Price is a bit less but SDTruck (been around for 40 years) offered me a further small discount when I sent an email asking for the manual in PDF.

As to which one I go with, that will depend on what my installer son feels is the best installation fit.

Don

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 4405
Well, you got to go with who you are comfortable with.
FYI, Summit Racing has been in business for 42 years, I know I have been using them for over 20-25 I believe.

Good luck,
Bill

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 4408
Bill, before I do buy my son will check and see what price he can obtain. The company he works for happens to have a suspension division (which has had components on a lot of winning race cars including an F1 championship winner and a ChampCar Championship winner). If he is able to get a good wholesale price then we'd go with it. If not, delivery and other issues come in. I'll want the components delivered to his office in Livonia and he will bring them across the border and pay the sales taxes (which will save a PITA having shipment handled by a broker with the extra charges).

The key thing, however, will be how he views installation. Ron thinks the Firestone bags may be easier to install. I had the Firestone bags on our first motorhome (F53 Ford Chassis) and we were very happy with them. No inflation system but I found it easy to check the pressures when I checked the tire pressures and easy to inflate or deflate as necessary for changing loads. If my son concurs with Ron on installation then we will go for Firestone. Given that he is an engineer and has experience with suspensions, and since I've got five thumbs on each hand, I'm going to let him make that call.

Don

BTW, if I were to by the bags in the US and have them installed in the US that could give me a major headache crossing the border.

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 4409
I was going to suggest your Son come over to my place for the install. About a 2 hour job with someone to help with the tires. Well maybe longer with all the bull that will need to be passed. LOL
You need to crawl under MH to see the bags. Harold Frame Shop in Novi can also install them.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 4410
Ron, I wouldn't want to look forward to the problems crossing the border. If they deem the modifications to be significant, they can tax the entire MH as if it were an entirely new vehicle - which is NUTS IMO, since I've already paid sales tax on it (there is no duty of course). I still haven't figured out why they did this other than to protect the domestic repair market.

But I really like your suggestion. :)

I may contact Transport Canada and see if I can get a ruling on this. Actually, the more I think about it, my son could take delivery, bring the kit across and declare it and pay the sales taxes, and then we take them back across and install them. That might solve any problems since I don't think that approach is even addressed in the regulations. At his home we will have to work on the road since I don't want to ruin his interlocking brick driveway. He has a three car garage and one bay is used for his race car building. He has lots and lots of tools (including a lathe, welding equipment, etc) but in this case not many would be required.

Of course, why stop at the bags, why not install 4 Bilsteins at the same time. :)

Don

Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 4411
Don
The Bilstiens will add some more time. You could leave the MH a few days with no problems. 4 acres can store a few RV's. On my Duramax it is a pain to get at passenger side upper mount. I have a lot of tools. Mill, lathe, welders and saws. We could take a torch and cut clearance for any mod you want. All though most of my stuff has been around for a few years. They do work.
Best
Ron Hall