Skip to main content
Topic: Dometic AC Short Cycling (Read 386 times) previous topic - next topic

Dometic AC Short Cycling

Yahoo Message Number: 5366

My air cond has recently developed a problem. It's a ducted 15kbtu Dometic Duo-Therm. You can set the thermostat to 82-83 and the air cond will cool the RV down to well below that and then shutoff. Within 5-10 seconds of shutting off it will try to cycle back on... with no success... just a "hum". It will try over and over about 6-8 times probably 5 seconds apart till it finally blows the breaker. It sounds as if it cant start the compressor. I can wait a few minutes, reset the breaker and turn the thermostat down and it will come on fine and run and run till I can hang meat in there. But if I try to set the thermostat on a reasonable temp like 75 or so, it will experience the problem mentioned above. Note that this does not happen every time... sometimes it cycles normally, sometimes it doesnt. In a days time, it will definitely experience the problem more than once. One thing I have also noticed is that the thermostat suddenly seems to be "off"... I can set it on even 82-83 degrees and the air cond will run till it's about 72-73 in the RV before it cycles off. When we last used the RV 8-10 weeks ago, setting the thermostat on 76 or so would keep the RV +/- a few degrees of that setting.

Any thoughts on what may be the grimlin?

Many thanks-

Russ Williams
2006 GS Kodiak 6316 8.1L
Kemah, Texas

Re: Dometic AC Short Cycling

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 5367

Hi Russ, we had a similar problem with the diesel pusher in our previous coach. It was a Dometic Duo-Therm as well but it never tripped the breaker. Our 2008 Seneka has a Coleman and so far so good. Might be something with Dometic.

Nedra

Nedra Denison
Gourd & Pyrographic Art & Supplies
www. SawdustConnection.com
www. GourdSupplies.com
www. Pyrography101.com
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PyrographicArthttp://www.pyrography101.com/

Re: Dometic AC Short Cycling

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 5368
Russ. Sounds like your thermostat isn't working correctly. Could be that your over cooling air conditioner is actually shutting off from an overheating compressor. Some RV AC units have at least a 1 minute delay before the compressor can turn back on. If the compressor doesn't get that delay, high "head" pressure in the unit will not allow the compressor to turn--hence a blown breaker or reset--especially if your AC is already on the low side.

George