Skip to main content
Topic: HELP - Power steering hose on C5500 LLY (Read 1636 times) previous topic - next topic

HELP - Power steering hose on C5500 LLY

Yahoo Message Number: 12897
All right - hope there is someone out there that knows how to get this hose off. The house that leads from the pump to the steering gear box - how do you get it disconnected. I loosened the 15/16 nut and backed it away from the body of the gearbox towards the hose on the hose threads - but still can't seem to get the hose to come out. The inner threads on the hose still look like they are going into the gearbox but there is some kind of flange I think. How do you get it apart? Assuming same is true of the connection on the other end of the hose going into the bottom of the pump. HELP! I need to get this hose replaced it's leaking at the collar at the top end under the pump. (see attached pic - the hose closest in the pic is the one I am trying to remove - you can see the 15/16 hut that I loosened by turn counter-clockwise - and the set of inner threads on the hose)

Thanks,
Brian

Re: HELP - Power steering hose on C5500 LLY

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 12898
It looks like it's a tube fitting. Flared with a Ferrule. You may need to pry on it a little to break it loose. Use care doing this.
Best
Ron Hall

Re: HELP - Power steering hose on C5500 LLY [1 Attachment]

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 12900
The fittings are Eaton STC type and are available from Eaton hydraulic distributors. Usually there is nothing wrong with the hose or fittings but the little o-ring inside the fitting needs to be replaced. You can buy the release tool from an Eaton distributor or make your own from a thin open end wrench.
http://www.eaton.com/ecm/groups/public/@pub/@eaton/@hyd/documents/content/pll_2498.pdf
Getting the old o-ring out can be a pain, use a needle and dig it out. There is a backup ring in front of the o-ring, leave it in place and install a new o-ring behind it.
I used a Viton o-ring, it's been in there 3 years now with no leaks.

Jim Mantle  2005 GS 6316

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: May-18-14 12:48 PM
To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] HELP - Power steering hose on C5500 LLY [1 Attachment]

[Attachment(s) from  [KodiakChassisClassC] included below]
All right - hope there is someone out there that knows how to get this hose off. The house that leads from the pump to the steering gear box - how do you get it disconnected. I loosened the 15/16 nut and backed it away from the body of the gearbox towards the hose on the hose threads - but still can't seem to get the hose to come out. The inner threads on the hose still look like they are going into the gearbox but there is some kind of flange I think. How do you get it apart? Assuming same is true of the connection on the other end of the hose going into the bottom of the pump. HELP! I need to get this hose replaced it's leaking at the collar at the top end under the pump. (see attached pic - the hose closest in the pic is the one I am trying to remove - you can see the 15/16 hut that I loosened by turn counter-clockwise - and the set of inner threads on the hose)

Thanks,
Brian

Re: HELP - Power steering hose on C5500 LLY [1 Attachment]

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 12901
It was leaking from underneath the collar of the hose - so I think it's more than just the O ring - great info and the supplier - thanks!!

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 12904
Here is another useful website for future engine pressure hose needs...

Hose Machine - by Murdock Industrial

If you can figure the specs on the hose - you can have one made - seems would be slightly cheaper than ordering part from GM etc

HELP - Power steering hose on C5500 LLY

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 12899
The service manual calls for a special tool J-42971 to remove the hose from the pump fitting, I am surprised no one has come up with this problem yet. The fitting is a quick disconnect and should stay in the pump. I am assuming some one can build a tool.

The Kent Moore tool (J-42971) is $124

Sent from Windows Mail

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 12902
I gave up on it and took it to a repair shop - I found the hose online for $85 - they are saying it was a $200 part - and then they said they are trying to find a tool - LOL - I feel a disagreement with a repair shop coming on. Either they are getting rip off by their parts supplier or they are ripping me off - or the got the wrong part - or they are charging me for the tool. Aye aye aye. Next time I will take them the parts.

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 12905
Thanks for the info, is that the correct size (12) for our power steering hoses

Sent from Windows Mail

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 12907
I don't know about the size - and the shop I have it at is saying that's not exactly the right tool - but based on what I was looking at - it would work - you may need to do some additional research to verify.

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 12908

You need to be taking your truck to a real genuine certified dealership that has all the correct tools.
Victor Burns
KI6IM
Jayco Embark TB390
Kodiak Diesel Dutchmen 34H - For Sale

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 12909
The one large truck dealership I know of in Dallas that I took it to before - is no longer in business. Only certain Chevy dealership can handle these large vehicles.

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 12910

We have a GMC mid duty truck Depot here in San Diego. That does not necessarily mean to have every special tool.
Victor Burns
KI6IM
Jayco Embark TB390
Kodiak Diesel Dutchmen 34H - For Sale

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 12915
Just one last follow up - here is the email I received from the company that has the alternative - less expensive ($23 each) tool for popping off those power steering hoses - remember the special tool had two ends 1/2" and 3/4" and was $124.....

Hi Brian,
These are the two tools that will work ....
http://hosewarehouse.com/STC-10-FF90213-10-STC-Release-Tool?filter_name=stc-10
http://hosewarehouse.com/STC-12-FF90213-12-STC-Release-Tool?filter_name=stc-12
They do measure the same.
Hope that helps!
Michelle Rozak
Inside Sales
330-535-7107 (direct line)