Skip to main content
Topic: Radiator Failure - Fixed...well not quite (Read 383 times) previous topic - next topic

Radiator Failure - Fixed...well not quite

Yahoo Message Number: 5509
So I send my coach into the GMC truck center (Rush Truck) in San Diego. They see the radiator is leaking, order me a new one and install it. I pick it up and am about 5 miles from the place on the freeway when I smell antifreeze. I immediately get over to the side of the road then the 'radiator' light turn on then the alarms go off and WHAM!! the whole rig shuts down.

[NOTE TO EVERYONE - I have had this take place twice now - YOU DO NOT GET MORE THAN A COUPLE SECONDS OF WARNING BEFORE YOUR COACH IS SHUT OFF. This is very precarious and I recommend that if you even think you might have a problem to get yourself into the lane where you can make a safe stop]

Anyway the $115 hour guys that worked on my coach neglected to install the return hose correctly: in fact it did not even appear to have a hose clamp on it at all. It was obvious what the problem was.

Needless to say I had a fucking mess on my hands. Stranded on the freeway - luck enough to be out of traffic - antifreeze all over the entire engine compartment and sprayed all over the bottom of the coach chassis. What a disaster!!

I call the shop - they dispatch a tow truck (much smaller than the ones posted recently but good for 26K #s) and they lift the truck by the bar holding the front leaf springs, pull the driveshaft and haul me back. Very simple to have it towed and it only took the driver 15 minutes to get it all ready - including installation of the rear safety lights and carefully running the electrical along the side of the coach.

Mistakes happen - what a bummer...