Skip to main content
Topic: Gulfstream Ultra 6316 slide issue (Read 382 times) previous topic - next topic

Gulfstream Ultra 6316 slide issue

Yahoo Message Number: 8319
Hi everyone,
Have had great luck with our rig since we picked it up a couple of years ago. (05 Gulfstream 6316 on an 04 5500 Kodiak 8.1) We have had one nagging problem though with our main room slide. It's the hydraulic operated type. Uses the same pump as the leveling system, and our slide-in operation has been a little inconsistent. Often I will need to bump the slide in button several times to get the pump to respond. I removed and cleaned all connections at the pump for each of the solenoids and the system worked better for a while. Also, it seemed to work better when the rig was plugged in, or the genset was running, but not so much on battery power. I'm thinking weak or bad relay, but don't know where to start looking for the darn thing! Getting ready for a 1000 mile trip to Disney next weekend, and when I went out to check up on the rig, I've got no slide action at all now. The leveling jacks are working fine, but nothing at all when I try to move the slide. It's very cold here (28 degrees for the high today) and I know that can be a factor, but like I said, the jacks work fine. Any ideas???

Thanks!

Re: Gulfstream Ultra 6316 slide issue

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 8320
From memory -

there is a bosch type relay that is wire-tied to the pump mounting bracket on my 6316, exposed to the under vehicle air stream with no protection. It's a failure waiting to happen. I don't know if this is the relay in the control circuit where your problem is, but that is where I would start with a meter and a helper to operate the switch. Here is what to look for. I would also be suspicious of the switch.

Charles

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 8323
Fixed!!! Looks like my relay was already replaced (hella 40 amp) but that wasn't the issue. I started cleaning connections, and replaced the not so great ground setup, but still no luck. So I started following wires back from the relay. There was a 25 amp inline fuse between the relay, and the pump motor that was supposed to be a closed weather proof fuse holder, but the rubber cap was just hanging open. When I tried to pull the fuse to check it, it crumbled in my hand. It was a standard automotive blade type fuse. This reminded me that I had made up a temporary in line fuse when my generator breaker failed a couple summers ago. And I had kept that sucker in my bottom drawer just in case it happened again : ) 20 minutes later and my slide now works better than it ever has. Between that and the lousy ground connection, it's a wonder it ever worked at all! So for all you Gulfstream folks out there, next time you are under the coach, it's probably worth a look just to make sure the little rubber cap is closed!

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 8333
I have replaced the control panel twice in my 06, 6340. They have a great tech support and engineering dept. Goolgle to get contact info.
Relay is a totally enclosed solid state relay, and should last for ever; all Enduras are exposed to the elements.
Good luck.....

To: "KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com"
Sent: Sun, January 15, 2012 7:29:46 PM
Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] Gulfstream Ultra 6316 slide issue

Fixed!!! Looks like my relay was already replaced (hella 40 amp) but that wasn't the issue. I started cleaning connections, and replaced the not so great ground setup, but still no luck. So I started following wires back from the relay. There was a 25 amp inline fuse between the relay, and the pump motor that was supposed to be a closed weather proof fuse holder, but the rubber cap was just hanging open. When I tried to pull the fuse to check it, it crumbled in my hand. It was a standard automotive blade type fuse. This reminded me that I had made up a temporary in line fuse when my generator breaker failed a couple summers ago. And I had kept that sucker in my bottom drawer just in case it happened again : ) 20 minutes later and my slide now works better than it ever has. Between that and the lousy ground connection, it's a wonder it ever worked at all! So for all you Gulfstream folks out there, next time you are under the coach, it's probably worth a look just to make sure the little rubber cap is closed!