Skip to main content
Topic: Uncontrollable Sway (Read 381 times) previous topic - next topic

Uncontrollable Sway

Yahoo Message Number: 4279
Last Sunday, I experienced uncontrollable sway while driving west on I-8 in California. At first I thought it was a blown rear tire or my Jeep had broken loose. Then I observed the trees on the side of the freeway and thought it was a heavy gust of wind. My track bars were not doing the job. It was a controlled panic situation.

As I came over the Highway 111 bridge, I noticed all the vehicles on the freeway had pulled over and stopped. It was an earthquake. We were approximately 30 miles from Quake Central. We stopped with our friends, got out and watched the Kodiak finish the rock and roll.

As we started to drive again, we noticed all the radio stations were down in the El Centro area. We later heard all the power was out and you couldn't get fuel. California Highway Patrol were speeding around, with lights flashing, checking bridges.

Further down the road I had to change lanes to avoid the deepest part of a large dip in the road surface caused by the quake. It was cracked along the dip. I didn't think it would be wise to take 24,000 pounds over a sky jump. :)

As they said at Disneyland, that was an E ticket ride.

Dan