Skip to main content
Topic: Slide Issue (Read 736 times) previous topic - next topic

Slide Issue

Yahoo Message Number: 4677
Has anyone had a slide track issue. The big slide on our 35GS is off track I think as one side went in and the other stayed out about a foot. Lots of popping and cracking noise. Dane

Re: Slide Issue

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 4678
I too have a 35GS and I experienced a slide failure with the bedroom unit. I was fortunate that the slide failed to either extend, or retract, while it was in the 'closed' position. At first the RV repair center diagnosed the problem as a broken gear tooth getting jambed on the rack. This was not the problem. What did happen was one of the bearings on the carrier slide failed and jambed the mechanism. It was Power Gear and the entire slide was replaced. I was surprised at how well constructed the slide mechanism was. It was a pricey repair, but all is good now. ...............russ

To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sat, June 19, 2010 6:39:19 PM
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Slide Issue

Has anyone had a slide track issue. The big slide on our 35GS is off track I think as one side went in and the other stayed out about a foot. Lots of popping and cracking noise. Dane

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 4679
, "daneg"  wrote:

Yes I have Dane. The plastic like material used for a bushing broke up. Power Gear went from a metal, could have been brass, to this new material. Took forever to get the right part number. Power Gear would not talk with the Jayco dealer or with Jayco. Findly Jayco's upper management came through. The Jayco service department did not know to align the slide up after replacing the bushing. When I brought the driver side slide in, the back edge went into the wall. Only after haven driven 500 miles away. Look at the slide motor and you will find on one side of it a large coupling with lots of holes. This is where you have to change holes to have both sides of the slide come in together in sync. If you would like to know more about this, just let me know, phone or email. Charles

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 4680
This is starting to really make me question Power Gear and whether I'd ever buy another MH with their levellers and/or slide mechanisms.

I wonder how they would respond to an uprising by owners informing manufacturers to switch to a helpful provider or run the risk of losing business?

This type of behaviour is just awful and given our numbers and the clout we can have if marshalled properly it should be reversible.

When we got our Kodiak the levellers were not calibrated and I called PG and they were very helpful - guided me right to the instructions (PDF) on their web site.

I wonder what changed that. When I had HWH on my two previous MHs they were also very responsive.

Don

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 4681
Thanks to all hope to hear from Vinh Le at Jayco tomorrows. Dane

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 4682
Don, here's another perspective like yours. When my Power Gear levelers went out, I called there tech support and after answering a few questions, the rep determined that the electronic module that mounts on the roof of one of the storage compartments was defective. Although it was out of warranty he sent me one for FREE with instructions on how to recalibrate the system.

I can't ask for better customer support from that. My point being while the current incident was handled poorly, it doesn't appear to be a systemic problem through out PG and an "upriising" may be a little premature. Let's just break out the tar and feathers! :-)

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 4683
Craig, our experience may be history now. It appears to be impossible to reach them now (sure appears that way - no email addresses provided and no phone numbers - I got a phone number by finding old docs on the web) and they won't even respond to dealers. I think there should be a running tally on contact or attempted contact with PG. It it turns out as indicated by recent attempts to deal with them, then I think they have to be given a message.

One could argue that is not a nice thing to do. But if I've decided that I'm not going to purchase any product with their levellers or slide mechanism (or anything else they supply). they should understand why I've made that decision (which I would make if what is being reported is the PG new standard for dealing with users of its products). Not only does PG have to get the message but it also has to be delivered to the the MH manufacturers using their components since they will feel the impact even more and have the ability to apply more pressure to force a change.

Don

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 4685
Dane, that is exactly the same problem that I had when we were on vacation in Colorado. The little bushing (neoprene?) shattered and the slide would not go in or out, or tried to go out crooked. Mine was still under warranty, so Zen authorized us to drive it on home (6 inch gap on rear end of slide)and we took it to a dealer in Orange Texas to be fixed. There was some cosmetic damage also that was not fixed as well as I would have liked.
Lee Manning

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 4686
, Don Leslie  wrote:
Craig, our experience may be history now.

Is the below information not correct? I have not tried the contact information.

Power Gear in Mishawaka, IN, US (United States)

www.powergearus.com

Company Overview:

Recreational Vehicle (RV) Components, Recreational Vehicle (RV) Control Panels, Recreational Vehicle (RV) Electrical Components, Recreational Vehicle (RV) or Caravan Stabilizers, Recreational Vehicles (RV), Recreational Vehicle (RV) Hardware to Specification available from Power Gear based in Mishawaka, IN. Click the links below to visit our website or contact us via our profile page.

Company Statistics:

View

Contact Details

Address:1217 East 7th Street, Mishawaka, IN, 46544, United States
Telephone:+1 800 334-4712
Fax:+1 574 256-6743
Web:http://www.powergearus.com

Sponsored Links

RV Leveling Jacks on Sale

RV leveling jacks. Stabilizer jacks Manual, electric & hydraulic jacks.

www.pplmotorhomes.com

Recreational Vehicle

Find local recreational vehicles in the Phoenix area.

www. DexKnows.com

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 4688
Bob, that phone number is a FAX number - I just tried it to confirm.

Note the same number is here http://www.powergearus.com/navi/about-us

http://www.powergearus.com/navi/about-usThe point is that at one time you could get to them very easily - phone or email. Now, no voice number provided and no email address provided. I dug a phone number up from a form I found when I googled.

I get the feeling that they are not interested in hearing from end users who have problems. Of course, the huge decline in volume would impact PG as well and it may well have reduced staff by a significant number.

In any event, it does not look encouraging to me as an end user of their products. I wonder if HWH has is operating in the same manner. I just checked the HWH web site and it has all info available as to email and phone.

I've always had the feeling that I'd take either PG or HWH, just as I was prepared to take a Cat C7 or a Cummins ISC. Now I am really wondering about the PG components.

Don

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 4689
Bob, try the 800 number. Surprising result. "If you are a customer please call your dealer. If you are a dealer please call our toll free customer line."

They should listen to it. First they agree we are customers - but they don't want to talk to us. But if we are a dealer we should call the customer line. Seems kind of silly to me. Why would they let customers call the customer toll free line? :)

Don

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 4692
I had a PG slide failure while in Oregon this past April. I took it to a independent RV repair center in Bend, Or. They said that the only way PG would communicate with them was via fax. Response time was 1 to 2 days, and parts delivery was 2 to 4 weeks.
I then returned home to Southern Ca. with the slide still inoperative and took the Seneca to Richardsons RV in Riverside, Ca. Richardsons is one of Jayco's bigger dealers. Richardsons told be the very same thing, PG only communicates with dealers via fax. Parts delivery took 3 weeks. I was without my motorhome in excess of a month. PG is no longer customer friendly................russ

To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sun, June 20, 2010 8:06:38 PM
Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: Slide Issue

Bob, try the 800 number. Surprising result. "If you are a customer please call your dealer. If you are a dealer please call our toll free customer line."

They should listen to it. First they agree we are customers - but they don't want to talk to us. But if we are a dealer we should call the customer line. Seems kind of silly to me. Why would they let customers call the customer toll free line? :)

Don